Deadspin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadspin

So almost the entire staff has resigned at this point with David Roth the latest big name to go. By my count, only Samer Kalaf is still there, and he’ll go eventually.

www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/business/media/deadspin-sports-staff.html

They're in the unusual position that they've been able to publish articles about how bad management is on their site.

This was very illuminating. It made me feel better about my current situation, which isn't really as bad as this though there are some parallels.

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/th...oom-1837487584

I haven't been reading Deadspin in a while. I made the mistake, often, of reading the comments and I got tired of their "everything you like is actually terrible" schtick. But not everything they did was like that. Occasionally, they published some really good stuff. Like this:
    https://deadspin.com/its-absolutely-...the-1839425624

And certainly the current management's "stick to sports" plan made no sense. It's especially funny, in a tragic way, that they believe their experience at Forbes qualifies them to tell anyone how to do journalism. Forbes sucks.

Comment

It's amazing to consider how much the site grew and developed over the years. The attitude and approach under Leitch was definitely something new, but a lot of that gossip and focus that they had back then is just so embarrassing now. It was never as bad as Barstool is now, but the site they were back then would be something that they'd criticize now. It's funny, I almost hardly ever read any of the sports stories recently. Drew Magary was still good (and he wrote a great piece a year or so ago basically apologizing for what he wrote about and how he acted 10+ years ago) and I really do think that David Roth has written about and understands Trump better than anyone at a major paper or magazine.

I just hope that the people behind it are able to find steady work. I'd hope for a new independent site, but I know something like that was attempted recently with The Classical and they just didn't get it to work money-wise.

Comment

https://twitter.com/megreenwell/status/1190281768009641985

Comment

Wow. I don't know how all those people could afford to just quit. I'd love to be able to do that, but I can't afford to be that principled. Of course, as I said, it's not nearly so bad here.

Comment

https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/1191762973754372096

Comment

David Roth talked about the situation on Chapo today. I’ll post if the clip of his interview makes it to YouTube.

It’s insane, these people are totally nuts. It wasn’t about politics, necessarily, and it wasn’t about profiteering. They just couldn’t really deal with the notion somebody knew better than them, when their ideas were completely stupid. Imagine Steve Sampson with Buddy Ryan’s personality or something like that.

Comment

I lost the job I really liked in a situation like that. Our part of the business was doing great, but the corporation overall wanted to impress shareholders that it was cutting costs everywhere, so our business was gutted and I was the newest person so I lost my job.

Comment

They're back:
                  https://defector.com/

(including Billy Haisley unfortunately lol)

Comment

Eh. I don’t care enough to pay for it.

Comment

Awesome, and happy for them, but nothing makes me vomit more than how they were treated.

NOW that world events have turned Deadspin as Politics x 1,000,000, so why didn't the owners just welcome them all back?

I will most definitely be joining them. As long as it's not too much. Deadspin, as beautiful as it is to see, makes me vomit in light of how that gang was treated.

Comment

Bit steep ($69/year for the cheap one,) but doable. Next paycheck.

Comment

The 25K tier is a but of a flex

Comment

Haha, I’m glad somebody else is with me on Billy Haisley’s FIFA 20-derived soccer takes. The Deadcast (and that’s coming back too, soon!) he did for the World Cup with Drew and Roth was excruciating. Each of us could — easily — have surpassed him in knowledge. And he’s got a wet dish towel as bored Millennial personality.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              The 25K tier is a but of a flex
                              Haha lulz for us amirite, oh god please let a Goldman VP see this and decide “why not”

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                                Haha, I’m glad somebody else is with me on Billy Haisley’s FIFA 20-derived soccer takes. The Deadcast (and that’s coming back too, soon!) he did for the World Cup with Drew and Roth was excruciating. Each of us could — easily — have surpassed him in knowledge. And he’s got a wet dish towel as bored Millennial personality.
                                He might be a great guy for all I know, it just always struck me as odd that with all of the great soccer writers out there, that he was the one that Deadspin stuck with their whole time. Not sure if it's because that the editors didn't know soccer so thought his knowledge was fine, but he never really struck me as a really gifted writer either. I mean, someone like @_Zeets, any of the Unusual Efforts writers, etc.

Comment

I wrote to Billy H after he posted "Barcelona absolutely destroyed" a day or two after the terrorist attacks, begging him to change the title of the post in light of that.

He said "It's true, they are destroyed."

They won the league that year. And the next.

Comment

Working...
                                  X