No announcement yet.

Cattle and Kane: England in New Zealand, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last 5 wickets fall for 21 runs (though they were slogging it so it's perhaps not quite as bad as it sounds). Lead of 101

Comment

Things you love to see in Test cricket: 5 penalty runs when the ball hits an unused helmet. Which just happened.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
        Things you love to see in Test cricket: 5 penalty runs when the ball hits an unused helmet. Which just happened.
        That's no way to talk about Jeet Raval...

Comment

I think England might have missed the opportunity to win the match with such slow scoring. Many times in the morning Root would rotate the strike but then Pope would play out the rest of the over without scoring. But I don't really blame them. It's more important to play within your limits which for England at the moment aren't terribly high. At least they managed to squeeze a significant total out of Pope. I think today they found a way to make themselves competitive and to put themselves in something like a winning position, even if it will almost certainly be a draw in the end.

Root isn't back to his best yet, but there were some promising signs – he was nicking singles with some degree of fluency.

Comment

I'm a little bemused by the BBC's reporting of the current match situation as if the only obstacle to England winning being the likely rain. Even if the weather stays fair there's also the small matter of taking eight NZ wickets and, if they manage that, then having enough time to score the runs to knock off whatever lead the Kiwis might have built up.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-12-2019, 13:10.

Comment

TMS needs a narrative, particularly at the end of a tour, and the alternative narrative that NZ are have been steadily inching themselves with bat and ball towards a comfortable draw and series win isn't quite so exciting.

Maybe it'll end in a super over tomorrow somehow.

Comment

Yeah, though to be fair to TMS it was the BBC's general outlets who I saw reporting it that way. I dozed off to the radio coverage so not sure how they pitched the situation by the end of play.

Comment

England always looked like they were batting too slowly to force the win, and there's no evidence that NZ would collapse at home on these types of pitches.

Comment

Some rank bad catching from England so far today.

Comment

Joe Denley's dropped catch off Williamson: I can't think of a worse missed chance ever. Archer was wheeling away in celebration and then turned round and saw that Denley had dropped it. Archer started to laugh and that sums it up - it was so bad, laughing was the only option.

Comment

Root has decided to give Denly the ball, presumably so he's not the one expected to have to catch it.

Comment

There seem to have been a few sessions in this game where no wicket fell. Pitch is dead once you're 'in'. Poor wicket for Test cricket. Suggestions that England could have won this now seem absurd, if they hadn't already been so yesterday, given their attack has a poor away record whilst NZ have a fairly solid batting unit at home.

Rain might stop Williamson getting his century*, although he could/should have batted quicker if he really was desperate for the ton. Credit to England for keeping him quiet?

*EDIT: They're still playing though - under lights.
                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-12-2019, 00:42.

Comment

NZ take a rare series win v England.* "They wanted it more" is often a glib and false claim (it's usually two teams of pros with similar levels of commitment) but in this case it's fair enough. If the intensity is not laid on for you by a packed Hollies stand or MCG, then you've got to bring your own, from within. For more sessions than not, England didn't. Still, I hope they enjoyed their winter break, which is what it felt like.

NZ go to Perth and start a new series next week, a ridiculously short turnaround.

(*historically, that is)
                            Last edited by tee rex; 03-12-2019, 03:32.

Comment

Well done Kiwis.

A disgruntled England fan insisted to me that Morgan should be Test captain

Comment

Could do worse.

What a thoroughly dull series that was. Glad I was in bed for most of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                  Joe Denley's dropped catch off Williamson: I can't think of a worse missed chance ever. Archer was wheeling away in celebration and then turned round and saw that Denley had dropped it. Archer started to laugh and that sums it up - it was so bad, laughing was the only option.
                                  Was it as bad as Gatting's effort in India in 1992?

Comment

Those pitches were borderline poor. Still, only one team in this series, and NZ can look forward to Australia with a degree of optimism.

Comment

Originally posted by Capybara View Post

Was it as bad as Gatting's effort in India in 1992?

No, I don't think it was, though Denly didn't get to try to blame the blinding sun as Gatting did.

You should tweet that to Denly. He's in need of some ammo after Aggers' "worst-ever drop in Test cricket" jibe. You'll have a friend for life.

Comment

Bob Willis dead.

Comment

What?

Comment

Bloody hell. I didn't realise that he was as old as that.

Comment

Ah no, that's a real shame.

If I were him I'd want 15.1-3-43-8 on my headstone.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                Bloody hell. I didn't realise that he was as old as that.
                                                Time doesn't hang around, the bastard. Even Botham is 64 now.

Comment

Willis peaked relatively late; he was 32 in 1981.

As to how good he was, today he would be top draw but back then he was just below the top tier.

Comment

Very sad news. A rare England quickie at a time when we didn't seem to have many and the Aussies and Windies had them coming out of their ears.

RIP big guy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X