No announcement yet.

Cattle and Kane: England in New Zealand, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, I hear you. England meanwhile looked to be off to a flyer but the young batting line-up has lost a bunch of wickets. Not sure you can blame players like Pope or (for different reasons) Stokes all that much.Ultimately, NZ getting rewards for some very disciplined bowling.

Comment

Steven Finn is great on TMS. He's just explained how, if he had his cricket time over again, he'd like to be a slightly rotund, shot playing number 5, who bowls a bit of part time offspin. He talks very nicely about the game.

Comment

England bowlers all slow according to the speed gun – even Archer, who is getting the ball through at head height. Confusing.

Comment

BJ Watling is formidable, a modern day Ian Healy. In an era of great wicketkeeper batters like Bairstow, Sarfraz, etc, he’s bettered them all in the long run.

Comment

BJ certainly delivered today. Write your own saucy headlines.

How many top cricketers have had hyphenated given names, like Bradley-John?

Comment

Jean-Paul Duminy.

Comment

Old fashioned Test match - 784 runs off 284.3 overs so far. England likely to spend the equivalent of two full days in the field in the first innings.

Comment

It's turned into cruel and unusual punishment now. Like one of those matches against a new Test nation and you wonder if they were awarded the status too soon.

Comment

Declared. Stats overload in that innings: Watling highest score for NZ keeper, England most wides in an innings ...

How often do you see a keeper bat so long that he needs a break from the gloves? Latham is taking over behind the stumps.

Comment

Very impressive by New Zealand even if England were ragged for long periods.

I'll stick the neck out that they'll hang on for a draw.

Comment

It's a docile pitch, but that doesn't mean England will hang on. I doubt they will. We've not won a Test in New Zealand for more than a decade, during which time I'm fairly sure England have won everywhere else.

Comment

I haven't seen the wickets, but Santner seemed quite capable of getting something out of it late in the day

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                            It's a docile pitch, but that doesn't mean England will hang on. I doubt they will. We've not won a Test in New Zealand for more than a decade, during which time I'm fairly sure England have won everywhere else.
                            England haven't won an away test against Pakistan, including games in UAE, since December 2000.

Comment

For all the talk of the pitch, there have been quite a few wickets gone begging with dropped catches and missed reviews.

I'm going to recklessly ignore jinxes and say England will fall well short. Over by tea.

Comment

De Grandhomme's bowling stats are much better than I realised. An average of 30 is excellent for a military medium seamer.

Comment

And there it is, it goes below thirty as he snares Root. Long way to safety now.

Comment

And NZ wrap it up after a bit, but not in the end enough, of a battle. Still, England saving their energies for the World Test Championship instead, er, right?

Comment

NZ are world No. 2 so this series was a big ask for an England side that tends to travel poorly but it is disappointing given they had got themselves into a good position on Day 2. Fortunate for England that it does not count for the World Test Championship, which loses much credibility given such selectivity.

Racial abuse of Archer - hopefully culprit found and banned for life. If NZ has legal penalties for the offence, prosecute fully. Name and shame in media.

Comment

Is there good reason why this series isn't part of the WTC?

Comment

I don't understand this winter's schedule. England wait ages to tour New Zealand and Sri Lanka, then do both twice within 18 months. And it's been a while since the last away tour to Pakistan

Comment

Would have thought the latter was obvious why, unless you mean in Dubai?

Comment

I think the schedule is a mess and will invalidate the Test Championship to a degree due to its selectivity and uneven length of series.

Comment

The lack of Foakes in the squad means Pope has the gloves tonight.

Oooh, wicket! Nice one Broad!

Comment

How many Test teams have crushed the opposition by an innings without a functioning top order?

It's like a heptathlon/decathlon where you just try and register a score in the shot put, getting it out of the way before moving onto the disciplines you're good at.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X