Sports where a Ryder Cup type thing would be fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sports where a Ryder Cup type thing would be fun

Sport is after all entertainment. For a while, tennis had a thing called the Wightman Cup, GB v the USA ladies, and it was competitive up until Sue Barker and Ginny Wade were going, then fizzled out.

If they'd taken the hint from the golfers and made it Europe v USA, I reckon it would be still be going now (as the men's and women's golf ones are on that basis).

Are there enough "representative" matches like these? I reckon people love them. Northern hemisphere v Southern in rugby, maybe? Europe v the World XI in football?

Track cycling could work in that you could set up some kind of match play situation over several days of competition. As to the teams, perhaps Europe v RoW?

Comment

Chess would be another. Asia (with Russia) v the Rest?

Comment

Ice hockey - North America vs Europe

Comment

Head of government death match between the UK and US.

Blue corner, Boris 'the bluffer' Johnson and in the red corner, Donald 'the wall' Trump.

Refereed by Vladimir Putin to make sure that one of the combatants is deceased at the end.

Comment

Europe v USA at tennis would be good in the women's singles but a walkover for Europe in the men's.

Boxing might be fun if Europe were expanded to a Rest of World team (or Europe + Latin America). One person per weight level per team.

Comment

US vs Rest of World in baseball and basketball might both be fun. But I guess that sort of misses the point, as the great thing about the Ryder Cup is that it's a team version of an individual sport.

Comment

Individuals need to be able to be combined into twos and fours. Is golf the only sport that is really suited for this?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                  Individuals need to be able to be combined into twos and fours. Is golf the only sport that is really suited for this?
                  Track cycling again. Madison and team pursuit, for example, are ridden as pairs and fours.

Comment

For reasons I don’t remember, my alma mater hosted a little Wightman Cup Hall of Fame.

Comment

That would indeed be brilliant. More conventionally, a US vs. the World 3-on-3 tournament would be really entertaining. LeBron/AD/Curry vs. Giannis/Simmons/Doncic? Sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                        Sport is after all entertainment. For a while, tennis had a thing called the Wightman Cup, GB v the USA ladies, and it was competitive up until Sue Barker and Ginny Wade were going, then fizzled out.

If they'd taken the hint from the golfers and made it Europe v USA, I reckon it would be still be going now (as the men's and women's golf ones are on that basis).

Are there enough "representative" matches like these? I reckon people love them. Northern hemisphere v Southern in rugby, maybe? Europe v the World XI in football?
                        That's the Lions pretty much, innit. They fukkin love that shit, the egg chasers.

Comment

Athletics have given this a go, with The Match - Europe v USA, over two days in Minsk.

Comment

There are a number of “state of origin” high school football all star games. The big one here is called the Big 33, for reasons I don’t know. Always played in Hershey. It used to be Pennsylvania vs Maryland but that wasn’t usually competitive, so now it’s Pennsylvania vs Ohio, which is a lot tougher.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Roger Federer's Laver Cup oojamaflip is next week. That seems to be getting some traction, but I reckon it's only one edition with a lot of withdrawals away from dying a death. The teams this year are:-
                              Europe - Nadal, Federer, Thiem, A.Zverev, Tsitsipas, Fognini
                              RoW - Isner, Raonic, Kyrgios, Fritz, Shapovalov, Sock

Three day event, three singles and one doubles rubber on each. Point value for a win increases per day, a la a Golf skins competition. 1 point on day 1, 2 on day 2 and 3 per match on the last day. Adding those all up means there are 12 points up for grabs on days 1&2 combined (4+8) and another 12 on day 3. i.e. it must still be a live contest at the start of the final day.

Comment

Have Nadal and Federer ever played doubles together?

Comment

I'd like to see them do something like this in darts. The PDC have a World Cup, but it's basically a doubles tournament, and the WDF have a World Cup which is made up of a few events but is single nation centric.

The PDC could easily do a UK and Ireland v the Rest of the World type of event over 4 days and they could use different games as well, 501, DIDO 301, Around the board on doubles, Cricket and they could do singles, doubles, triples, etc... There's definitely a market for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                    Have Nadal and Federer ever played doubles together?
                                    Not yet. But I believe that is the plan for one of the rubbers next week.

They are actually pretty chummy, which is funny given how spikey the Roger vs Rafa fan 'debates'/slanging matches get at times. Dan Evans let a few things out of the bag when he talked about being invited to Federer's summer BBQ this year, the big blabbermouth.

Comment

Working...
                                    X