X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
    I was about to type that I have a varied selection of t-shirts commemorating various minor sporting achievements (all bought off sale rails after the event) and then remembered what I am wearing right now as a pyjama top, namely a NY Giants 2011 conference championship t-shirt. I've got one somewhere commemorating Mainz qualifying for the Europa League. I have little affection for either team.
    That could be an interesting collection.

It feels like winning a division - across all the US sports leagues - used to matter more.

I have a Bengals 1981 AFC Central Division championship pennant. But at that time, that was the high-water mark for the franchise. They went on to lose to the 49ers in the Super Bowl. One of my formational traumas.

I don't really care about the Bengals now, but I did as a kid when my family visited Cincinnati a lot and my grandma would cut out all the Bengals clippings from the newspaper and mail them to me and I'd put them in a scrap book.

Leave a comment:

• Walt Flanagans Dog
    replied
    I was about to type that I have a varied selection of t-shirts commemorating various minor sporting achievements (all bought off sale rails after the event) and then remembered what I am wearing right now as a pyjama top, namely a NY Giants 2011 conference championship t-shirt. I've got one somewhere commemorating Mainz qualifying for the Europa League. I have little affection for either team.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
    On bowl allocation, it's fairly predictable for the more established games - generally those with tie ins allowing them higher selections from major conferences, mostly taking place closer to the New Year. Predicting the lower ranked bowls gets more difficult, particularly where major conferences have fewer eligible teams than tie ins, meaning that spots get reallocated to teams from smaller conferences that have more eligible teams than tie ins. Many of these lower ranked bowls (most of those taking place in a second/ third tier southern city sponsored by some product you have little awareness of) are organised by ESPN, who will generally allocate teams according to what is likely to produce a better match up and to avoid teams going to venues they have been the previous year.
    ESPN outright "owns" a lot of the bowls.

It never ceases to amaze me how much merch is created by these bowls. Even if Penn State had a disappointing year and are going to a fairly crap bowl - and they've been to a few - the shops downtown will have t-shirts, sweatshirts, Christmas ornaments*, etc with the logo of the game and the two teams. Even before it's played.

I can never imagine wanting to own something commemorating a game other than a national championship and even that is kinda useless really. T-shirts especially fade and degrade, just reminding you of how the reflected glory fades too. And I certainly wouldn't want to wear something advertising a game that my team lost. But obviously somebody is buying all that shit because it's always produced. It's been that way since the early 80s.

Of course, win or lose, it's half-to-75%-off by February. I guess some people collect it. And, sadly, the Christmas Industrial complex has created a strong market for stuff that nobody needs.

*We have a Christmas tree ornament from a time in the 80s when Iowa played BYU in the Holiday Bowl. I think our Iowa cousins gifted it to us. Not sure why. We still have it. The randomness is appealing somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    On bowl allocation, it's fairly predictable for the more established games - generally those with tie ins allowing them higher selections from major conferences, mostly taking place closer to the New Year. Predicting the lower ranked bowls gets more difficult, particularly where major conferences have fewer eligible teams than tie ins, meaning that spots get reallocated to teams from smaller conferences that have more eligible teams than tie ins. Many of these lower ranked bowls (most of those taking place in a second/ third tier southern city sponsored by some product you have little awareness of) are organised by ESPN, who will generally allocate teams according to what is likely to produce a better match up and to avoid teams going to venues they have been the previous year.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    The Fiesta Bowl has had some issues.

In 2009, in the weeks prior to the 2010 Fiesta Bowl, past and present Fiesta Bowl employees alleged that they were encouraged to help maintain its position as one of the four BCS bowls by making campaign contributions to politicians friendly to the Fiesta Bowl, with those contributions subsequently reimbursed to the employees. If the allegations were true, this would have been a violation of both state and federal campaign finance laws.Furthermore, as a non-profit organization, the Fiesta Bowl is prohibited from making political contributions of any kind. The Fiesta Bowl commissioned an "independent review" which found "no credible evidence that the bowl's management engaged in any type of illegal or unethical conduct."

The following year, in a November 2010 article, Sports Illustratedreported that Fiesta Bowl officials, including bowl CEO John Junker, spent $4 million since 2000 to curry favor from BCS bigwigs and elected officials, including a 2008 "Fiesta Frolic", a golf-centered gathering of athletic directors and head coaches. The journal also reported that Junker's annual salary was close to $600,000 and that the bowl, in 2007 turned an $11.6 million profit. While these alleged activities are not illegal, they did result in considerable damage to the reputation of the Fiesta Bowl.

On March 29, 2011, the Fiesta Bowl Board of Directors released a 276-page "scathing internal report", commissioned by them to re-examine the accusations of illegal political activities. The commission determined that $46,539 of illegal campaign contributions were made and the board immediately fired Fiesta Bowl CEO John Junker, who had already been suspended pending the results of this investigation.The scandal threatened the Fiesta Bowl's status as a BCS game, as the BCS said it might replace the bowl in its lineup if officials could not convince them it should remain. The BCS ultimately chose not to expel the Fiesta Bowl, instead fining the organization $1 million.

In June 2011 University of Arizonapresident Robert Shelton was hired to replace Junker. On February 22, 2012, former CEO John Junker pleaded guilty to a federal felony charge in the campaign financing matter, and two members of his former staff pleaded guilty to misdemeanorcharges. Junker was to be sentenced soon after, facing up to 2.5 years in prison as the result of his plea, but his sentencing was repeatedly postponed in return for cooperation in other cases.On March 13, 2014, Junker was sentenced to eight months in prison, with the sentence starting on June 13, 2014; he was released on February 11, 2015.On March 20, 2014, Junker was sentenced to three years of probation on state charges.

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Battlefrog? That's one I had to look up and still had never heard of it.

The New Mexico Bowl is usually around noon MST - looks like it is starting at 3:45 MST - could be a bit nippy from half-time onwards.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
    The Tostitos Fiesta bowl has been gone almost ten years. I am so out of touch (though not enough to get a restraining order on my partner)
    I remember when it was the Sunkist Fiesta Bowl.

IMG_0802.jpg

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    No one tell Brent

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    The Tostitos Fiesta bowl has been gone almost ten years. I am so out of touch (though not enough to get a restraining order on my partner)

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    As an AAC team, USF is expected to play in one of the following

- Wasabi Fenway Bowl vs ACC
    - Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl vs Conference USA and/or EasyPost Hawai’i Bowl vs Mountain West
    - Military Bowl Presented by Peraton vs ACC
    - Duluth Trading Co. Cure Bowl vs Group of Five
    - Frisco Bowl vs Group of Five or Army
    - New Mexico Bowl vs Mountain West
    - Myrtle Beach Bowl vs Group of Five
    - RoofClaim.com Boca Raton Bowl vs Group of Five or Army
    - SERVPRO First Responder Bowl vs ACC, Big 12, or Pac-12
    - TicketSmarter Birmingham Bowl vs SEC
    - Union Home Mortgage Gasparilla Bowl vs ACC, Pac-12, or SEC

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    It’s turned into self-parody.

It says a lot about how much just calling yourself a bowl team is still worth to the athletic directors. For most of these games, it will cost the universities more to send their players, band, etc. than they make from the game.

Increasingly, the players and fans don’t value the nonplayoff bowls. That trend is likely to accelerate with the expansion of the playoffs.

And yet, so many universities still want to play in these off-brand bowls. I guess because it is a major opportunity to gladhand alums and sponsors.

It’s also TV exposure which older people especially still value.

That reminds me. I found an old local news clip from, I think, 1984 where the sports guy was trying to explain that Penn State vs Pitt wouldn’t be on TV that year because neither school really wanted it to be on TV. Penn State was apparently worried that having too many games on TV would reduce attendance (!) and Pitt just wasn’t very good that year so they didn’t mind not having the exposure, although Pitt fans disputed that.

Back then, the money from TV wasn’t much of a factor. It was mostly just to promote the team to prospective ticket buyers and to aid recruiting, both athletes and students in general.

Times have changed.

Delaware, one of the most successful FCS teams ever (going back to well before it was called FCS) are reportedly leaving the CAA for Conference USA.

That means they are giving up the very real chance to play for a national title in FCS, so that they can play in whatever one of these bowls has a CUSA tie-in.

On the other hand, it’s possible that the CUSA champion could make the 12-team playoff and (and almost certainly lose by 70 to Georgia, et al) and it looks like FCS will just be dominated by the Dakota/Montana schools for the foreseeable future, so it feels like the FCS playoffs are futile anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It is very complicated and not particularly transparent

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_to_college_bowl_games#:~:text=The%20College%2 0Football%20Playoff%20consists,College%20Football% 20Playoff%20National%20Championship.

Briefly, a committee decides which four teams will contest the College Football Playoff, which consists of two bowls serving as semifinals and a final, which is not officially a "Bowl"

They also decide the participants in the four remaining "New Year's Six" bowls that are not part of the playoff. Those slots will be filled by the teams ranked 5-12 in the committee's final rankings and the highest ranked ",Group of 5" (less powerful conference) team.

The remaining bowls will generally have "tie ins" with conferences that will grant them say third pick among the SEC teams that aren't going to a New Year's Six bowl.

It helps to keep in mind that all but the playoff games are essentially friendlies.
    Last edited by ursus arctos; 28-11-2023, 00:01.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Can someone explain the specifics of what the “bowl eligibility” that USF have just achieved for the first time means?
    Sorry, don't know what happened there, I did know it was for the first time in five years not ever.

What I specifically meant was how do they allocate which Bowl teams end up in? I must admit I didn't realise there were so many.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The full schedule of this season's Bowl games says a lot about this country

https://bowlseason.com/sports/bowl/schedule/2023-24

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Kansas State

AKA Farmageddon

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Originally posted by Cal Alamein View Post
    Let’s add an 82 yard pass reception for touchdown to Iowa states mix
    That Iowa State - Kansaw game was excellent entertainment. The poor cold sods.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Bowl eligibility means a 6-6 record or better (subject to a couple of caveats). This will actually be USF's eleventh bowl appearance, although their first in five years.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Not the first time ever but the first time in a while.

The short version is that a team has to go at least 6-6 to go to a bowl.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college...y-tracker-2023

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Can someone explain the specifics of what the “bowl eligibility” that USF have just achieved for the first time means?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    U Montreal beat UBC 16-9 to win the Vanier Cup. Montreal are called the Carabins, after a WW1 calvary regiment, apparently. But carabin also means medical student.

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Let’s add an 82 yard pass reception for touchdown to Iowa states mix

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Looong way to go. 35-35 - ISU scores are from 71, 77, 79, 60 and 33 yards

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/sickoscommittee/status/1728597487307669964?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Would’ve been way cool to see Auburn beat Alabama after losing to the mighty Aggies of New Mexico State
    edit - enjoying the snow bowl in Manhattan, Kansas

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Smoke induced pileup on I-35, it appears

The last series of the Iron Bowl somehow surpassed the sheer madness of the last two minutes of Nebraska - Iowa

Leave a comment:

Working...
X