No announcement yet.

College Football 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone explain the Pac12? Even though Oregon beat Utah, Utah is going to the championship game and somehow the Apple Cup result was pivotal.

Comment

Explainer here.

It is wild.

https://www.deseret.com/2022/11/27/2...aker-breakdown

Comment

That’s kind of insane, but I can’t think of a better system given all the ways they were tied.

USC is a 2 point favorite.
        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-11-2022, 18:43.

Comment

Way to Utes!

Gutty effort from Caleb Williams- he is a true stud.

Comment

This all but assures PSU will be in the Rose Bowl, but the latest word is that we’d play Washington, not Utah. Not sure how that works.

Comment

Woo-hoo! KSU possibly screws it up for TCU.

Shades of the 2003 Big-12 championship game.

Comment

Personally hilarious, as Kansas has a treaty with Paraguay in which Paraguayan students can attend Kansas universities, basically K-State....and TCU was the place for all wealthy-yet-intellectually-challenged students at my previous school.

So K-State v TCU was like Olimpia vs Cerro Porteño of college football.

Being that TCU invented the vomit-inducing and reprehensible "Student-Athlete" to keep from paying the medical bills of a football team player who became a paraplegic, I will always welcome the Horned Frogs in a boiling pot.

Comment

Anyone who would rather have Alabama than TCU in the playoff needs to think about their life choices.

Comment

W&M won by 40 and will now play at Montana State.

Comment

That will be a challenge.

Comment

Purdue are hanging with Michigan

Comment

Didn't last

In other news, this will be fun to watch

https://twitter.com/cubuffsfootball/status/1599243035518197760?s=61&t=x1t4SrTPYpAIOHrunpRwFA

Comment

https://twitter.com/nickjuskewycz/status/1599506513462272001?s=61&t=s8uR4WcZgGoujcUEVIRbYw

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              It’s a great hire. They desperately need something to get their students, boosters, and fellow Coloradans to give a shit about football. Not many people cared when they were good. Now that they’re terrible, they needed somebody with brand recognition. I’m sure season ticket sales will get a boost. His whole “Jesus and respectful young men” schtick will play well.

He will be able to use the portal to rapidly upgrade the roster.

It’s been suggested he should have held out for a better job, but I suspect Nebraska and Wisconsin, to name two options, didn’t want to hire somebody who has never coached at the FBS level.

But if he can turn Colorado respectable, he’ll have a chance at some of the better jobs like Texas A&M or FSU.

Comment

Kudos to NMSU.

Not listed above, but the sooners travel to Orlando for the CHEEZ-IT BOWL - would rather they'd stay home, but good for the players.

https://www.tomahawknation.com/flori...layoff-ranking

Comment

One needs to click on the tweet to see the full list

Comment

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1600562606133100546?t=fLDgINQvJy1lxKaERmT-IA&s=19

Comment

Is this the place to discuss OT in the Army v Navy game? It was crazy!

Is it technically college football? Would the UK equivalent be the boat race, or do Army and Navy have a regular season?

Is the game always in December?

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                        Is it technically college football? Would the UK equivalent be the boat race, or do Army and Navy have a regular season?

Is the game always in December?
                                        It is college football. They play regular season games against non-military colleges as well.

Historically it was usually the Saturday after Thanksgiving; it was moved fairly recently to the second Saturday in November -- it's traditionally the last regular season game of college football.

Comment

Yes it is.
                                          Both teams play in the lower end of the highest division in college football, the Football Bowl Subdivision, also known as Division 1A.

They were both major college football teams until the 60s, but now they can’t usually recruit the best players because most top recruits don’t want to do the military stuff.

Although in the last 20 years, they’ve been able to get better players. I think they loosened the admissions standards for football players a bit.

The DoD has gone back and forth on letting exceptional academy athletes go directly to the pros and deferring their usual years of service. I’m not sure where that rule stands now. Army has a linebacker that could go in the first round of the NFL draft. That hasn’t happened since 1946.

Neither team was particularly good this year but in recent years, they have been to bowl games. Since the 80s, at least Air Force usually is the best service academy team. (The Coast Guard and Merchant Marine academies also have football teams, but they play in Division 3 with the smallest schools that offer no athletic scholarships.)

Both Army and Navy play a very old-fashioned offensive style with almost zero passing. They can occasionally score a big upset - Navy almost beat Notre Dame this year - because other teams are just not used to playing against that.

I think it’s been played on the week after the conference championships and before the bowls for as long as there have been conference championships. It’s been on CBS for as long as I can recall.

I suspect that it gets more attention than the boat races because a lot of college football fans tune in to see the now-strange option offenses and all of the militarist shit. And veterans of either service often take an interest even if they didn’t go to the academies.

It’s also the only football game on TV today so gamblers are interested.
                                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 11-12-2022, 02:21.

Comment

The exception that HP references is an issue because all students at the military academies agree to serve at least five years in their respective services upon graduation in return for an excellent education that is completely free for all of them. The academies are the only US universities that are free for all students and admission is quite competitive, even given the five year service commitment.

Students are commissioned as junior officers upon graduation.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post

Is it technically college football?
                                              Most definitely. A few yrs ago, my alma mater, university of Oklahoma, ranked number 5 in the nation, hosted army and luckily won in OT. Army ground out 339 yards and had the ball for almost 30 more minutes than OU. OU linebacker Kenny Murphy had 28 tackles. Gotta love their run game.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId/401013066
                                              Last edited by Cal Alamein; 11-12-2022, 02:34.

Comment

Double ish post
                                                Last edited by Cal Alamein; 11-12-2022, 02:34.

Comment

I spent a week at West Point in 1990 as a special program for invited high schoolers.

It’s a cool campus and the cadets I met were cool, but I’m not remotely cut out for that shit, let alone actually fighting in a war.

I’ve often thought the Coast Guard would be ok. I’d love to learn more about sail boats.

Comment

Navy fired their coach, the most successful coach in their history.

It seems that the Athletic Director doesn’t really understand how much college football has changed in the last three years and adjusted expectations accordingly.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...tely-loss-army

Comment

Working...
                                                    X