No announcement yet.

College Football 2019/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utah's walk on freshman QB with no scouting report available as he is basically nobody gets a TD drive to tie the game. That's a storyline.

Comment

But wait! The Fresher comes through. A great run for a first down and, a toss into the end-zone to tie it up. Boys Own Paper stuff ... or whatever the US equivalent is.

Comment

Trouble is Utah's defence is as useful as a wet paper bag. They're still gonna lose this... probably.

Comment

The freshman looks to be in his early 30s

Multiple LDS missions?

Comment

dglh's pal puts a contract out on Ryan Day

Comment

Yeah 48-45 with nine seconds left

Comment

Can't find a birthday for the Utah freshman, but did find he "grew up raising roughly 12,000 pigs in a barn in Southern Utah"

That will age a boy quickly.

Comment

Utah is legit.

Comment

Happy for Georgia--not even a lesser of two evils situation, genuinely happy to see them win.

Comment

It certainly would have been sad if they’d lost again.

Comment

This would be wild

https://twitter.com/wilnerhotline/status/1542559346453729281?s=21&t=IPbGdbkCSmn4HYAxobcUQQ

Comment

I hope this is just some sort of leverage move. I have no interest in playing any of those schools. I can barely muster any enthusiasm to root against Utah or Colorado. IDGAF about Iowa or Minnesota, and I try not to be reminded of Ohio State's existence.

Comment

YOU'LL GET INDIANA AND RUTGERS AND LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

USC = Legends
                              UCLA = Leaders

Comment

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1542624980747177984?s=21&t=IPbGdbkCSmn4HYAxobcUQQ

Golden Bears to dominate the UC (minus LA) Conference).

Anteaters, Gauchos and Aggies will beg for mercy,

Comment

Pac-12 begging LMU and Pepperdine to start football teams.

A big motivating factor for UCLA is undoubtedly the increase in TV money that they would get in the Big Ten. UCLA's athletics department is in the red by quite a lot.
                                  Last edited by Incandenza; 30-06-2022, 21:51.

Comment

Where does that leave the Rose Bowl (game)? Would it continue to hold a place for the Pac-12 in non CFP years when there isn't much left of it?

Comment

Bit easier to sell as a conference championship venue than Indianapolis

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        Bit easier to sell as a conference championship venue than Indianapolis
                                        The Soy Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                          Pac-12 begging LMU and Pepperdine to start football teams.

A big motivating factor for UCLA is undoubtedly the increase in TV money that they would get in the Big Ten. UCLA's athletics department is in the red by quite a lot.
                                          It’s the only motivating factor.

This is terrible for other sports.

Comment

Arizona State hockey might have someone to play in their time zone

Comment

Yeah, that would be cool.

It would be good to add ASU to B1G hockey. That might happen anyway.

In the process, I would tell Notre Dame to go fuck themselves. They had their chance to join the B1G.

Unfortunately, COVID killed the possibility of Illinois joining.

I don’t see how a 16 team can work.

Comment

It’s official. This is happening.

Unclear what the next move will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

It’s the only motivating factor.

This is terrible for other sports.
                                                  If it means that UCLA keeps the funding for the smaller non-revenue sports, then I'm not sure about that. But then again, I don't know what this means for programs in those sports. Does the Big Ten have water polo or beach volleyball?

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post

If it means that UCLA keeps the funding for the smaller non-revenue sports, then I'm not sure about that. But then again, I don't know what this means for programs in those sports. Does the Big Ten have water polo or beach volleyball?
                                                    It's maybe not too terrible, but it will increase their travel costs and, gasp, time away from class.

Michigan has women's water polo. I think that's the only one.

I don't think anyone has beach volleyball.

But this will erase any doubt that the B1G is the best women's volleyball conference. It already was most years.

In men's volleyball, this will double the number of teams, but USC, UCLA, Penn State, and Ohio State already play each other most years. If they can find two more teams, they can make it an official B1G sport. PSU and OSU do play each other every year in men's volleyball, but aren't in the same league. PSU is in an eastern league with a few ivies and a bunch of schools you've probably never heard of and OSU is in an midwestern league with a few schools you've probably never heard of.

What's amusing and maybe irritating is how many dumbasses I see online thinking that this is the moment when the big football universities have conceded that their ENTIRE INSTITUTION is a farce and they only care about sports and not academics.

It's funny because I don't know why this particular movement is crossing the Rubicon. It isn't. It's just the latest in a gradual evolution that started with Walter Camp. The real tipping point, although we didn't know it then, perhaps, was when the NCAA lost the right to control TV rights and the schools and conferences could start making their own deals. That happened in the early 80s around the time cable became a thing.

But it's irritating how many people genuinely think that football really is an enormous part of the budget or focus at these universities. I guess the problem with making sports the "front porch" of the university is that people driving by think that the front porch is the whole house. In the case of the universities we're talking about, it's generally less than 2% of the budget.

It's not even really a very big business. In the last pre-covid year PSU sports as a whole make about $160m in revenue total. Smith and Nephew, a company most of you have never heard of but whose balance sheet just so happens to be in front of me right now, made $1.3bn in the first quarter.

It's also worth noting that, all American universities, whether they have big budget sports or not, spend money on unnecessary stuff just because it attracts students and faculty and donors like it. Nicer dorms, better dining options, nicer climbing walls at the new rec center, lazy river swimming pools, fancier landscaping, all kinds of support and marketing staff of dubious necessity, etc.

In fact, the universities that are most well-renowned for their serious academics have always done this. Does Yale need to like Hogwarts to teach the world's elite? I really doubt it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X