Has their Luck Run Out? - NFL 19-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

There are video checks done on every scoring play (as well as plays on which the officials have a doubt or where the coach throws a "challenge flag").

Those video checks do NOT incorporate anything like the offside lines that the Premier League VAR use or "goal line technology". Rather, they are video replays of the play in question from up to half a dozen angles so as to allow the league officials in New York to determine if there is "clear and convincing evidence" to overturn the call on the field.

The replays are shown on television, along with commentary from a former senior referee (each broadcaster has one on the payroll, and they will get involved as many as ten times in any given game), but I don't believe that they are shown in the stadium. It has been 50 years since I was last to a NFL game in person, but the in-person experience is definitely inferior to the television one when it comes to knowing what happens on the field (especially if you don't have access to a television, as one would in a suite).

Thanks all. Yes, silly of me to ask if there were video checks when (as you realised) what I was driving at was if they were to the ostensibly forensic level of VAR in football as I've never seen any when watching Gridiron in the stadium or on TV.

Was there much dissent at the time of the call from Kansas or controversy about it since? Given the pivotal nature of the score it seemed a bit "Geoff Hurst's second goal" to me.

Comment

Given it was called as a TD on the field, anyone seeing the video review would at least expect the decision to stand (it was more of a surprise, as UA noted, that they said the ruling was confirmed - I also don't know how they reached that confirmation).

There was nothing clear an obvious to suggest it would be overturned. The 49ers seemed more disgruntled by the offensive pass interference call that went against them (which I think was a great call).

Comment

I was mostly surprised to find that they don't have much higher frame-rate cameras fixed on the lines which you could time-sync, and are instead just relying on the various regular cameras.

Comment

Are they needed though? I'm no expert but this seems like a really exceptional situation.

Comment

they should be working to significantly improve the way the pylon camera works. It is surprisingly poor at serving its purpose.

Comment

That assumes that its purpose is to assist officials, as opposed to providing "compelling video" (which I don't think is the case).

The NFL has always been somewhat ambivalent in its attitude towards video review, while being absolutely all in on optimizing the television experience. The current system reflects that.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                I was mostly surprised to find that they don't have much higher frame-rate cameras fixed on the lines which you could time-sync, and are instead just relying on the various regular cameras.
                I’ve seen the straight-down-the line camera angle in several college games. Not sure why they don’t have it in the Super Bowl.

But just having that angle wouldn’t show when he went out of bounds.

Comment

A police chase ended up on the parade route.

[URL]https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1225072754979954688[/URL]

Comment

FFS!

Comment

Snake mentioned these on another thread, but they really should be seen by anyone who watched the Superb Owl.

NFL Films at their best.

You need to watch each on YouTube (just click the link that comes up), as they have disabled embedding.

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      This is 40 minutes of players mic'd up from the Superbowl. It's amazing.

Comment

That forty mic'd up minutes was stunning and way more enjoyable than the standard highlights. The confusion when the scoreboard showed 13-10 and the 49ers 85 'oh come on leave me alone' were the moments that made me smile. In fact Kitttle and his coach were probably the most interesting characters on the film.

And, on another note, are sock colours not a standard colour. Some 49ers wore all-white, others all-red and yet others red and white.

Comment

The NFL has weird uniform fetishes

They care immensely about jerseys being tucked in and writing on shoes, but much less about socks and gloves.

Comment

They used to care more about socks.

Comment

Indeed they did

Comment

Working...
                              X