No announcement yet.

Has their Luck Run Out? - NFL 19-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah. The link works fine. Great, great stuff (and I miss the gun-metal unis)

Comment

And always take care of y'all chickens, Sahab.

Comment

Masterful!

Comment

Honestly, can't see Andy Reid winning. Even if he had the NFL 100 team against oxygen.

Niners 10:9 Chefs

Montana Bowl Winners

Comment

I must know some songs by J-Lo and Shakira, but I can't think of any off the top of my head?

Comment

Have you forgotten the 2010 World Cup Anthem?

That was Shak

Comment

Ehhhhhh, it was certainly a worthy-enough cover.

Comment

Niners doing mostly everything right to win this. They'll have to keep avoiding the knockout punch.

Comment

10-10 half.

Comment

I wanted the Chiefs to win until their fans started doing the Florida State tomahawk chop chant. Really? In 2020?

Comment

It's Arizona Jake...

Comment

Reid and Mahomes deserve this.

They should ban the chop in thanks.

Comment

Came back after being down at least 10 pts in every play off game. Andy Reid deserves this.

Comment

Just watched brief highlights, what is the criteria for a touchdown that the third Kansas score met?

Comment

I *think* it was deemed a touchdown because his standing foot was in play at the moment the ball was level with the touch line.

Comment

I also think the officials might have missed some holding by KC in that play as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Just watched brief highlights, what is the criteria for a touchdown that the third Kansas score met?
                                    The ball just has to break the vertical plane of the front of the goal line before he steps out of bounds (which means any part of his foot touching the sideline). It was extremely
                                    close, but I think he scored just barely.

Comment

Watch this guy:

In this:
                                      https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1224162965395529728

Is that an illegal hold?
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 03-02-2020, 13:05.

Comment

There are "illegal" holds on virtually every play (see also pass interference)

The "breaking the plane" rule is alien to anyone grounded in rugby, but then this is a sport in which no such thing is required to record a "touchdown"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

The ball just has to break the vertical plane of the front of the goal line before he steps out of bounds (which means any part of his foot touching the sideline). It was extremely
                                          close, but I think he scored just barely.
                                          I presume there are video checks done to establish that? Are they shared with the crowd/media, as with the offside lines on VAR?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            There are "illegal" holds on virtually every play (see also pass interference)

The "breaking the plane" rule is alien to anyone grounded in rugby, but then this is a sport in which no such thing is required to record a "touchdown"
                                            And it's called "football".

Comment

I presume there are video checks done to establish that? Are they shared with the crowd/media, as with the offside lines on VAR?
                                              There is an article on The Ringer about the refereeing - https://www.theringer.com/nfl-playof...s-interference. Basically, despite the multiple camera angles none were definitive. It looks like the difference between the ball being in a position to be a valid goal and his foot being out of bounds was so small as to not really be realistically measurable (within the confines of the cameras used). You'd need one of those 100m finish line cameras to actually determine what happened.

So they went with "judgement on the field stands".

Comment

There are video checks done on every scoring play (as well as plays on which the officials have a doubt or where the coach throws a "challenge flag").

Those video checks do NOT incorporate anything like the offside lines that the Premier League VAR use or "goal line technology". Rather, they are video replays of the play in question from up to half a dozen angles so as to allow the league officials in New York to determine if there is "clear and convincing evidence" to overturn the call on the field.

The replays are shown on television, along with commentary from a former senior referee (each broadcaster has one on the payroll, and they will get involved as many as ten times in any given game), but I don't believe that they are shown in the stadium. It has been 50 years since I was last to a NFL game in person, but the in-person experience is definitely inferior to the television one when it comes to knowing what happens on the field (especially if you don't have access to a television, as one would in a suite).

Comment

Yes, they did review the play and the best angle they had appeared to show the ball crossing the line about simultaneous with his foot touching the boundary. I think I would have said he was in even if that hadn’t been the original call.

If they’d have called him out of bounds, it would have been fourth and goal about a centimeter from the end zone. The Chiefs probably would have scored but we’ll never know.

Whether the replay angles are shown in the stadium or not seems to vary from place to place. The league doesn’t really want home teams to rile up the fans against the refs.

Comment

That Ringer piece does a good job of illustrating the process and quotes one of the network "officiating experts" (though it does assume that readers are familiar with how things work, which they are).

A key element of that (which is implicit, though not explicit, in the piece) is that the cameras which produce the replays used in the review process are those used for the broadcast (of which there are 30+ for a Super Bowl) and not cameras that are designed and placed to assist the officials (as with the Premier League version of VAR).

After reviewing the replays, the officials will announce if the call is "confirmed" (the replay officials believe the replays demonstrate the call was correct), "stands" (the replay officials lack "clear and convincing evidence" that the call was wrong), or "reversed" (they believe that the replay demonstrates such evidence of the call being wrong).

The touchdown was "confirmed", which surprised me at the time as I expected it to "stand".
                                                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 03-02-2020, 15:08.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X