Clear All

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019

Based on precedent (all these were home Ashes years):

Laker 1956
    + Steele 1975
    + Botham 1981
    + Flintoff 2005
    = Stokes 2019

Or does lack of terrestrial coverage mean that someone else will grab it?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 16:02.

Hopefully Ellen White will go close. She also made a significant international splash this year.

Comment

It'll probably be Stokes.

Team of the year really should be the GB Mens ice hockey team. Given absolutely no chance of staying in the top flight of world hockey and yet we managed it and gave a couple of big hockey nations a decent game along the way. To do that on an absolutely pittance of funding for the sport is hugely impressive.

Comment

Is Stokes not somewhat tainted by the court case (although he was found not guilty)? Sending out the wrong message and that... plus the Ashes are not won yet.
        The Beeb will be very tempted to steer things towards the women's World Cup.

Comment

Don't forget the rugby world cup, BBC viewers tend to be fond of men with funny shaped balls.

Comment

There is absolutely no way Stokes isn't going to win this. Quite apart from being obviously the most deserving recipient, his court case just plays in to the "redemption story" soap opera that these things love.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 25-08-2019, 21:06.

Comment

Totally. SPOTY is a year's sport condensed into a soap plot, essentially.

Rugby Union WC - England would have to win it, but with an outstanding individual (Wilkinson, 2003, is the only ever rugby union SPOTY). The media could also manufacture an individual from an essentially team effort.

Comment

Wales could win the World Cup and George North be the outstanding player. But yeah, if England go on to win the Ashes it'll likely be Stokes.

Comment

It's also biased by Stokes doing it at Headingley in August rather than Sydney in January. Time and place.

Comment

Aberdeen announced as this year's venue. Build it* and they will come.

*A new arena that is - the Beeb love a new arena in Outside London.

Comment

So the nominees are being revealed one by one on the BBC today. Each one is being announced and advocated for by a different celebrity.

The two so far are Dina Asher-Smith who has Stormzy on her side and Ben Stokes whose praises are being sung by Ed Sheeran.

In a way, DAS has won already.

Comment

I see that after one year they've quietly dropped the idea of waiting until the night itself to reveal the nominees.

I know I'm biased and that but I hope Judd Trump gets nominated (although I'm not sure where they'll find an A-list celebrity to support him). He's had a phenomenal year - world champion, Masters champion, four other ranking titles, miles clear as world number one. That's as much as anyone can reasonably hope to achieve in a year and he also plays in an exciting way, it's not like he's a grinder like Selby or Higgins. If he doesn't get listed then it's hard to see circumstances where a snooker player ever gets nominated again.

Comment

Who else brought home golds from the world athletics? Was it just Johnson-Thompson?

Comment

Yes, with one individual silver for DAS and two more from the 4x100m relay teams (the Women's one featuring her too).

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                              I see that after one year they've quietly dropped the idea of waiting until the night itself to reveal the nominees.
                              I presume that was to avoid a wider range of nominees (there were only five last year) and a concerted advance campaign for any one of them. Probably as a sensible safeguard against Tyson Fury winning it.

Comment

The other nominees are Raheem Sterling, Alun Wyn Jones, Katarina Johnson-Thompson and Anyone But Hamilton.

Comment

Working...
                                X