X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No 2019 Athletics thread?

Can't find one, but anyway. oops:
    GB name shot putter for 4x400m relay

Youcef Zatat - who had not travelled to Poland - was included in the quartet instead of sprinter Rabah Yousif.

Eh? Edit : ah, found the story now - how ridiculous.

I keep on meaning to start an athletics thread but haven't managed to make a meeting yet this summer. I now doubt I will at all unfortunately, especially as the Worlds are in bloody Qatar - which should be the time we get a decent thread going here.

Comment

ursus minor and I watched quite a bit of the Pan American Games Athletics, which featured a rather meh field, particularly on the men's side. A number of Pan American records (particularly in the field events), but no season bests that we saw. The Brazilians won both 4 x 100 relays, which we saw as saying more about the quality of the US, Trinidadian, Jamaican, etc teams than their own standing. Elaine Thompson and Shelly Ann Fraser-Pryce swapped events in the women's sprints and nonetheless won gold rather easily.

Comment

The Worlds are off to a shaky start in Qatar. They've only sold 50,000 tickets for the entire schedule, and last night's women's marathon - the marathons and walks being the only events held outdoors - started at midnight when it was still 32 degrees. 28 DNFs out of a field of 68 tells its own tale.

I might be going out on a limb here so don't shoot me down, but I think holding it in Qatar wasn't a very good idea.

Comment

Mixed relays seem like one of those things that sound like a good, progressive idea until they are put into practice.

Men take over and finish the race. It feels more like women are the 5th bowler in an ODI: teams decide to get them out the way, don't use them at the death. Watching them get chased down on the final leg wouldn't do much for anyone.

Comment

The first mixed relay semi-final worked ok, and the second also would have if Japan hadn't flipped the order. Felt sorry for both their women, plus their second leg athlete chasing seven women was made to look like a Japanese Benny Hill.

One minor grumble is, with some exceptions, the BBC are not obliging with a whole screen graphic confirming line ups or the result after every event. A tiny display comes up at the left hand side instead, minus the three-letter country code. Usually the flag is well known enough or doesn't have a lot of detail, but I have to admit I struggled to work out that Eswatini was being respresented in the 200. Maybe that's to save time, which the beeb are filling with other features, such as finding out what is Britian's number one pole vaulter's most used emoji.

Comment

Dina Asher-Smith goes at 9.20pm.

Come on Dina!!!

Comment

All Nippon Airways wins the pole vault.

I used to follow athletics avidly/anally, and was lucky enough to go to the World Champs in Tokyo (the 4x400 GB relay gold). But ... Qatar. Killing the love.

Comment

Can't complain at that, did all she could.

Comment

Absolutely. National record and a silver.

Lovely kid, too.

On to the 200m.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                      All Nippon Airways wins the pole vault.

I used to follow athletics avidly/anally, and was lucky enough to go to the World Champs in Tokyo (the 4x400 GB relay gold). But ... Qatar. Killing the love.

Athletics used to be my favourite sport. Almost went to Rome in 1987. These days - meh!

Comment

Everything going right for DAS in the 200m and looked great in qualifying.

Comment

Looking to follow this properly now I'm in a time zone to do so. Crowds looked bigger, if still embarrassingly low, last night (possibly due to more migrant workers being bussed in) and the Mens 800m and 200m Finals between 8pm and 9pm UK time look promising.

Comment

Someone on the BBC website said Rudisha's world 800m record might be up for grabs tonight which I found extraordinary as a claim. It's almost as if they're being asked to big up forthcoming events to generate interest.

Comment

The championship record is the oldest of the men's track ones: 1:43.06, Billy Konchellah, Rome, 1987, so breaking that record is overdue, especially as Konchellah is now down to 42 in the all-time list. Coe is still joint 3rd, remarkably (dob 29/9/56, he turned 63 on Sunday).
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-10-2019, 18:05.

Comment

I should have mentioned that DAS has a 200m semi-final at 7:35pm UK time, the Women's 400m semis are on at the moment.

Just had a shock watching the pole vault, Renaud Lavillenie has long been a favourite of mine but I didn't realise he had a younger brother who also competes in the event with some style too, Valentin.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-10-2019, 18:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Athletics used to be my favourite sport. Almost went to Rome in 1987. These days - meh!
                                  Speaking of which I didn't realise until last night that Jon Ridgeon is now the CEO of the IAAF. He was on the radio defending to the hilt the decision to take it to Doha.

Meanwhile, plain sailing for DAS there.

Comment

Smooth as silk and went over to check on the injured athlete at the end of the race. What an absolute star she is.

Comment

Not a single competitor from the last Worlds 800m Final in 2017 running in it tonight, that must be a rarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                        The championship record is the oldest of the men's track ones: 1:43.06, Billy Konchellah, Rome, 1987, so breaking that record is overdue, especially as Konchellah is now down to 42 in the all-time list. Coe is still joint 3rd, remarkably (dob 29/9/56, he turned 63 on Sunday).
                                        And the championship record does go, Donavan Brazier runs a dominant 1:42:34.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-10-2019, 19:26.

Comment

Another gold for Project Oregon . . .

Comment

Another fourth in the 200m for Gemili, poor sod.

Comment

Watching his interview now - poor lad is completely heartbroken.

Comment

I couldn't face the interview, I knew he'd be devastated.

Comment

Great start by KJT but it'll be nail-biting until she's registered a mark in the javelin, as it always is.

Big well done for McKinna and her PB in the shot.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X