Open the port, rush back to the golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open the port, rush back to the golf

The Open Championship, as DG has noted with delight, returns to Northern Ireland for the first time in 68 years this week. That apparent sleight isn't as bad as it seems - the Royal and Ancient had a list of just nine courses, five in Scotland and four in England, that they used in pretty regular rotation for sixty years, and it was only with the fuss about lady members at Muirfield and now grumblings about Donald Trump owning Turnberry that made them look further afield for a change. That, and the success of the Irish and Northern Irish players in recent years, with Padraig Harrington, Darren Clarke and Rory McIlroy all becoming the champion golfer this century.

McIlroy will start with a huge weight of expectation on him this week for obvious reasons, and he has every reason to be backed. He hasn't won a major for five years, but has won the players championship and the Canadian Open this year against world class fields. The man in major form is world number one Brooks Koepka, who has finished first or second in five of the last six major championships, a streak of form that only the very greats of the game have ever emulated.

Justin Rose will be the main hope for an English champion (still haven't had one of them since Nick Faldo, 27 years now) but keep an eye on Matt Wallace, who's had some solid finishes this year and is hovering around number 25 in the world, the position Gary Woodland came from to win the US Open last month. Also around there is Marc Leishmann, who always seems to have one good round per major and maybe will string four together this week.

Tiger? Not sure. He'll need perfect weather conditions. If not him or Koepka, an American winner could definitely come from either Xander Schaufelle or Bryson DeChambeau, who while maybe not quite satisfying GO's requirement for an "unknown" Yank, do at least have silly names. Patrick Cantlay could be more the unknown Yank GO's after, he's had a solid season.

It may also be an omen that the last winner in Portrush, Max Faulkner, was known for his colourful dress sense - the 'pastel dandy', one contemporary writer called him - so Ricky Fowler, anyone (or Ian Poulter)?.

Finally of course, there is a former major champion who crept in via the qualifiers, and was born and lives in Portrush itself, a certain Graham McDowell. He couldn't, could he?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-07-2019, 12:28.

John Rahm is in form and won the Irish open two weeks ago on a similar course, already on record that he loves Portrush, that's where my eachway tenner is going. Don't know if Wiesbereger has qualified but again another in form for an eachway chance.

Comment

Huzzah! I won't be joining ye on the Causeway until it's all over, but enjoy

Local gossip: most of the caddies hate McIlroy because he is arrogant, ignores them and relies on a mate/ chauffeur from Holywood (it's the course you skirt just before landing at Glentoran Airport from the sea side)

'Mid-Atlantic' McDowell's support used to be led by his brother, father and uncle (farmers and club players locally). The father and uncle were so Culchie I could barely understand them

Comment

Bernd Wiesberger's qualified, yes. And the eldest Roginette will be in Vienna this weekend. Hmm...

Comment

Christ.

Tiger Woods.

What an ignorant fucking arsehole; "it's the local accent"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/49016675

Get thissen up to Ards and then you'll have cause to snivel you sanctimonious little worm.​​​​​​

Last edited by Guy Profumo; 17-07-2019, 17:57. Reason: Adjective order

Comment

Everyone's taking the fifth hole on - 368 yards, downhill and downwind. Don't be surprised if someone gets a hole in one albatross today.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 18-07-2019, 10:02.

Comment

McIlroy playing a van der Velde-esque first hole. It's cringe worthy watching.

Comment

McIlroy +5 after 3 holes, bookie's having a party all over Britain and Ireland.

Comment

Always fun when the pros start playing like me but a shame it's happened to Rory. He's just three putted from six feet on the 16th.

Actually, that's unfair on me. I've never three putted from six feet in my life.

Comment

Always at least four?

Comment

Why, you little ...

Comment

Just watching McIlroy's round on the highlights show.

It should have an 18 rating.

Comment

Doesn't look like I'll make any money this weekend, Rahm is'nt going anywhere, be nice to see Lowry join the Irish Major winners club but he always seems to have a bad round in him, hope I'm wrong.

Comment

Lots of big names gathering at the top. Shaping up to be a great weekend. Portrush has proved a brilliant test - fair rewards for good shots, and horrible penalties for bad ones. I hope they keep it on the rota.

Comment

They could do it by dropping Trumpberry.

Comment

This will be quite some test for JB Holmes today. Playing alongside an Irish co-leader, with two Englishmen in the group ahead. It's going to be like a Ryder Cup atmosphere.

Comment

Portrush have a contact for 3 Opens in 20 years, so it's properly on the roster now.

As usual, I have great hopes for Kooch finishing in the top ten.

Comment

I've also got a sneaky €1 ew on Finau. I definitely think he'll be in the mix.

Comment

All the early starters seem to be dropping shots rapidly today. The traditional Saturday "moving day", today, might be a case of trying to stay put.

Comment

Is this not on TV? (I mean normal TV, since I presume it's on some TV or other) Seriously? Just watched the TdF at my mum's house and thought I'd watch a bit of The Open. But it appears not to be on

Bloody stupid.

Comment

Sky in the UK

Comment

Yup, it's highlights only now on the Beeb.

Comment

Shane Lowry's to lose.

Comment

He's done it before, I'm afraid

Comment

This is either going to be the dullest final round of an Open for some time, or Lowry's going to get caught and we'll see how he handles it. I'm very disappointed by the R&A moving the tee times forward in anticipation of poor weather later on. Part of the excitement would have been seeing an early starter get into the clubhouse on 7 or 8 under then watching the leaders thrash around in a tempest. I presume this is more for the fans' comfort than any consideration of the tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X