Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currently operating sports venue that is least used.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post

Inasmuch as they are used by local club members in-between tournaments?
    Yes, though Wimbledon's members are not particularly local to the venue. But club members can play on the courts (apart from Centre) in between.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Is there a mile? Whenever I get the bus from Luton Airport to Royston/Cambridge (as I did yesterday and do fairly often) I can never tell where one ends and the next begins.

I think the big Sainsbury's marks the Border

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

I remember a time when the Grand National meeting was the only fixture all year.

There's a cycle race that takes place on the roads round the inside of the course every March - the Eddie Soens Memorial race.
        Aintree Villa use the football pitch in the middle for 15-20 games per season.

Comment

For many, many, many years, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - technically the largest stadium in the world - held exactly one event a year, the Indianapolis 500. Though you could argue the whole shebang back then - two weeks of time trials, for example - put it above something like Montjuic.

Comment

Istanbul has two to the best of my knowledge, the Atatürk Olympic Stadium does not appear to have a full time tenant now but outs used for some athletics events and the Istanbul Parl Formula One track hasn't hosted Formula One or MotoGP for years but I presume is still used for some form of racing.

The Olympic Stadium is horrendous but Istanbul Park is said to be a really great track, many of the MotoGP riders loved it despite it being built for cars.

Comment

It's got a long, wide corner with four apexes on it, would be good to see it used the odd season.
              Last edited by Kevin S; 16-07-2019, 10:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Plus the spring game. And the smaller schools may also use the stadium for track and soccer. Occasionally, they might hold a concert or a graduation ceremony.

The club areas and suites, if there are any, are used for other events.

Every university wants to get more events at the stadium, but in general, gridiron stadiums are too big for anything but gridiron.

NFL stadiums aren’t used much more.
                Some NFL stadia host college bowls and regular season games of course. Dallas and Houston seem to have a few sidelines including rodeos and boxing, as well as concerts. And the domed ones get to host the Final Four in basketball. But generally for the amount they now cost to build they seem massively under utilised.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                  the Atatürk Olympic Stadium does not appear to have a full time tenant now
                  That one sprung to my mind, along with another tenant-less European Cup Final venue - Lisbon's Estadio Nacional.

Comment

Edit - racing circuits are already on our radar.

Comment

A conversation about the soccer history of St. Louis led me to check out the current state of what is now called The Dome at America's Center (yes, really), which has been without a tenant since the NFL Rams returned to Los Angeles.

The arena (which local governments are still paying for) may be the home of a franchise in Vince McMahon's reboot of the XFL, but has in the meantime been hosting the kind of events typical of such white elephants in the heartland: concerts, high school gridiron finals, monster truck events, drag racing, and a striking number of religious gatherings for various Protestant denominations.

Comment

It's not quite as disused as some on here, but the SDCCU (formerly Qualcomm) stadium, former home of the Chargers, currently hosts 6 SDSU Aztec games, one inconsequential Bowl Game, a few swap meets in the parking lot and a monthly used car sale in the parking lot.

There have been monster truck events there in the past, but I don't think those are even on the calendar currently.

Comment

NFL stadia are lucky to last 25 years now.

It isn't surprising that Lambeau in Green Bay and the LA Coliseum are the only ones remaining from my early childhood, but to realise that a host of grounds built when I was an adult (Giants Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, the domes in Minnesota and Detroit, etc) are now long gone is striking

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                            Istanbul has two to the best of my knowledge, the Atatürk Olympic Stadium does not appear to have a full time tenant now but outs used for some athletics events and the Istanbul Parl Formula One track hasn't hosted Formula One or MotoGP for years but I presume is still used for some form of racing.

The Olympic Stadium is horrendous but Istanbul Park is said to be a really great track, many of the MotoGP riders loved it despite it being built for cars.
                            I've been to a gig in that race track and also one in the seemingly similarly underused white elephant, the Algarve International Circuit. Speaking of that area of Portugal, the Estadio Algarve is something of a folly too, though I have seen a match there.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 16-07-2019, 17:06.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

It isn't surprising that Lambeau in Green Bay and the LA Coliseum are the only ones remaining from my early childhood, but to realise that a host of grounds built when I was an adult (Giants Stadium, Cowboys Stadium, the domes in Minnesota and Detroit, etc) are now long gone is striking
                              ...and the domes in Seattle and Atlanta that didn't even make it to 25 years. In many cases of course the old stadia were multi use and were each replaced by two separate stadia, reducing the overall usage efficiency (while admittedly producing more suitable viewing for their respective sports).

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                                That one sprung to my mind, along with another tenant-less European Cup Final venue - Lisbon's Estadio Nacional.
                                The Estadio Nacional has been used by Belenenses since last season when the professional section of the club could not come to an agreement for continued use of the Estadio do Restelo.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Reading this I was surprised that you didn't list Soldier Field also, but googling shows that the Bears didn't move in until 1971. However what's not clear to me from wikipedia is what it was actually used for in the first 47 years of its existence, barring what appear to be rather occasional football games.
                                  Last edited by S. aureus; 17-07-2019, 12:27. Reason: Edit: though maybe you'd consider Soldier Field to be a different stadium after the re-model also.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                    It's not quite as disused as some on here, but the SDCCU (formerly Qualcomm) stadium, former home of the Chargers, currently hosts 6 SDSU Aztec games, one inconsequential Bowl Game, a few swap meets in the parking lot and a monthly used car sale in the parking lot.

There have been monster truck events there in the past, but I don't think those are even on the calendar currently.
                                    Aren’t they planning to make that smaller?

Comment

I was going to suggest the Darlington Arena but apparently a rugby club use it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        Speaking of that area of Portugal, the Estadio Algarve is something of a folly too, though I have seen a match there.
                                        I was just about to type about that. Although I would love to see a match at the Estadio Algarve, I am glad that Farense have moved back to Estádio de São Luís. Having checked, I realise that I drove past Louletano's ground which is the municipal stadium.

Comment

RFK in DC currently has no tenant and, as far as I know, no prospect of getting one.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

The Estadio Nacional has been used by Belenenses since last season when the professional section of the club could not come to an agreement for continued use of the Estadio do Restelo.
                                            Christ, I've been to a gig there too. I remember thinking it was very low key for a national stadium, especially in comparison to other stadia in the very same city.
                                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-07-2019, 10:03.

Comment

I think that is primarily a function of age and its rather ceremonial function.

It was designed in the 30s and finished before the end of the war, more than a decade before the original Stadium of Light.

It would have fit right in at the 1934 World Cup.
                                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 18-07-2019, 11:23.

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post

Reading this I was surprised that you didn't list Soldier Field also, but googling shows that the Bears didn't move in until 1971. However what's not clear to me from wikipedia is what it was actually used for in the first 47 years of its existence, barring what appear to be rather occasional football games.
                                                Oh, I could count one event. Count to 15, even.

Last edited by Flynnie; 18-07-2019, 21:43.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                  Croke park was mentioned upthread, it's actually a very busy stadium, it's Dublin's home ground for the league and the Championship which is usually about 8 games, it also hosts the all Ireland club final, the Leinster football and hurling finals, several games in the football and hurling championship as well as women's football, Camogie,Compromise rules, visiting American football games and virtually all the schools finals, probably about 50 days a year on average.
                                                  If anything it's overused, when I lived nearby teams who'd have been better served with games in say Laois or Kilkenny would meet at a third full Crokers so the fuckin GAA would get more cash in. And fuckers would then piss in my street or in drumcondra front gardens with impunity. Coz Patriot Bantz. And Dublin is a shithole or something, unlike the beauteous Cork.

Comment

The WACA. Since the new stadium was built it has been used for Manchetser United to train on and maybe a couple of Shield games. Otherwise dormant.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X