Going Down to Liverpool - Netball World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Down to Liverpool - Netball World Cup 2019

So Britain is hosting another Commonwealth-dominated sport's World Cup this summer and perhaps the momentum from the success of the host nation's team in the Woman's Football World Cup may now transfer to this competition.

England will certainly be looking to capitalise on their 2018 Commonwealth Games Gold and the boost that gave the sport in their country.

I'm really looking forward to it, despite it being the first WC that Wales have failed to qualify for. It runs from 12-21 July and the coverage is split between Sky and the BBC.

I had hoped to make a game or two with the family as we've enjoyed attending before but doubt we're going to have the chance to make it up north now, and I think tickets flew out the door when they went on sale too.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-07-2019, 22:56.

Will the second attempt at starting this thread be any more successful, he wonders...

Comment

Sorry Janik, I would have been away when you started that and just assumed nobody else had bothered. Shall I delete this one, or might the more explanatory title help get resonses?
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-07-2019, 08:13.

Comment

Stick with this one. It has a clearer title as you say. Linking saved me the bother of asking the questions again.

Comment

Right, the group stage has started. NZ have beaten Malawi and Barbados have seen off Singapore. Australia v Northern Ireland up next then four more today culminating in England and Scotland taking on Uganda and Samoa respectively.

Comment

Just half a game left in the second round of groups. Australia edged out New Zealand 50-49 to top one group. England and South Africa are now playing to avoid the Aussies in the Semis, England leading by a margin (31-20 IIRC) at half-time. Both are sure of their places in the last four with World no. 2 ranked side, Jamaica, missing out. Jamaica were in trouble after losing an opening pool match to South Africa 55-52 (results carried over from the R1 pools to the R2) and basically out when England beat them 56-48 in the first game of the second stage.

All this despite Jamaica having a Goal Shooter, Jhaniele Fowler, who simply doesn't miss, scoring 38 goals from 39 shots against SA and 43/43 against England. Fowler is somehow only the second top goalscorer in the tournament, though. Her 197 goals are 10 clear of Potgieter of SA (presumably the current game will reverse this). However the tournaments leading scorer by an astonishing margin is Aussie New Zealander Sri Lankan Tharjini Sivalingam. She has 271, which is incredible given that Sri Lanka have lost five of their six games and are their placement game will determine if they finish 15th or 16th. Out of 16.
            Last edited by Janik; 18-07-2019, 20:06.

Comment

For one reason or another I've not made it to any games, but the fans and players have been really visible in the city centre this week, there's a great atmosphere around the whole thing with a big screen and deckchairs set up in Liverpool One and players wandering about town, posing for selfies, doing autographs for kids etc.

I walked past the Hilton after work tonight and a little knot of fans were cheering the England team as they came out to board their transport to the arena, both the fans and players looked chuffed to bits.

Comment

Semi-Final day. Aus-SA at 11:15, Eng-NZ at 15:00. After a week of mostly phoney war, suddenly this weekend it gets very intense and serious.

Comment

Caught a bit of Malawi v Uganda last night which was an enjoyable game with a fair bit of needle in it too. In the commentary they mentioned calls for a revision of the competition's format for the very reason you point out, the opening week of the tournament has seemed too full of predictable blowouts.

Not really sure sure how that can be avoided given the asymmetry of quality between the top four or so countries and everyone else.

Comment

Some revenge for New Zealand for last Sunday then, beating England in the semi and facing Australia in tomorrow's final for the sixth consecutive tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      Some revenge for New Zealand for last Sunday then, beating England in the semi and facing Australia in tomorrow's final for the sixth consecutive tournament.

And in the preceding five Australia's victory margin has ranged from just 1-4 points, so these are obviously close-fought affairs.

Comment

And the swing finally goes the other way, NZ win by a goal 52-51.

Comment

Working...
                        X