Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    England have had periods of being very good this century so the structure was OK for a while but has now stopped being so because of the huge white ball dominance in the middle of the season. Keep two divisions but make them the centrepiece not the fringes of the calendar.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    It's twenty years ago this week that England went bottom of the world Test rankings after losing to New Zealand. I'd like to know what Aggers suggested at the time for improving English cricket, because his solutions on TMS earlier to the current mess basically involved reverting the domestic structure to how it was in the 1990s.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    Did I mention that we also need a proper wicket-keeper? These 'ball-stoppers-who-can-bat-a-bit' are fine for T20 or ODI's but just don't work at test level.

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    I'm happy to trust the Punter- Purple Axis on this one.

How the 2 sides use their quicks is telling. Australia clearly see the need to rotate workload- so they've brought 4 experienced strike bowlers, Siddle for control plus Mike Neser from the B team as back up if needed. They're also prepared to drop the pack leader (Starc) when he sprays it around to the point where you risk losing control in the field.

Meanwhile, England just assume they have to play Anderson if he can be patched up, despite being 37 and latterly injury prone. Root has also used both Archer and yesterday Stokes in overlong spells- surely more injuries are inevitable.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    Ricky Ponting is currently on The Ashes Zone saying exactly like wot I just said, about closing the bat face.

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    I don't understand how people can say we have a chance of squaring the series, but even if a miracle happened it would be pretty thin gruel. We need red ball batsmen - batsmen who don't use their bottom hand and close off the bat face. As coach I would suggest to this team that if how hard they are gripping the bat with their bottom hand now is 10/10, take it down to 4/10. Then at the end of the test I would wish most of them a fond farewell.

I can see no reason to bring back Jimmy,I think he's done. I remember decades ago, listing to John Arlott comment on an England batting collapse, and saying "This is the kind of England batting performance that gets an England bowler dropped." It seems we have learned nothing in the decades since, our batting is in ruins and the main response is to drop Woakes.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy Waterman
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
    Presuming we lose this test and the Ashes are lost, I think it would be appropriate to try a couple of new guys for the final two tests.
    1. Dom Sibley
    2. Rory Burns
    3. Joe Root ©
    4. Sam Northeast
    5. Johnnie Bairstow?????/Tom Banton???? - I dunno
    6. Ben Stokes
    7. Ben Foakes (wk)
    8. Chris Woakes
    9. Jofre Archer
    10. Stewart Broad
    11. A.N. Other spinner (worst case Joe Leach)
    Vince is a much better player than Northeast, but has been hugely messed around by England.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    No...

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by The_Purple_Cow View Post
    Presuming we lose this test and the Ashes are lost, I think it would be appropriate to try a couple of new guys for the final two tests.
    1. Dom Sibley
    2. Rory Burns
    3. Joe Root ©
    4. Sam Northeast
    6. Ben Stokes
    7. Ben Foakes (wk)
    8. Chris Woakes
    9. Jofre Archer
    10. Stewart Broad
    Even if we do assume Australia win this test and regain the Ashes I don't think there will that much experimentation from England while there is still a chance of drawing the series. Both because that would be a more respectable result and because there are World Test Championship points at stake.

If the series does finish 2-2, maybe England would challenge Australia to a Super Over to settle it?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Anderson is supposed to be back for Old Trafford so presumably Woakes would make way or they would drop a batsman or the spinner. Woakes hasn't been captained very well in this match so would be unlucky, maybe.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Phil Ochs?

Leave a comment:

• Duncan Gardner
    replied
    1 Ben Stokes
    2 Chris Woakes
    3 Ben Foakes
    4 Bomb Hoax
    5 Dry Bokes
    6 Ruman Cokes
    7 Standing Jokes
    8 Mini Mokes
    9 Pigina Pokes
    10 Johnny Noakes
    11 Boycott's mother

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied
    1. Dom Sibley
    2. Rory Burns
    3. Joe Root ©
    4. Sam Northeast
    6. Ben Stokes
    7. Ben Foakes (wk)
    8. Chris Woakes
    9. Jofre Archer
    10. Stewart Broad

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    171-6 at close, 283 ahead. Way beyond England's capabilities to chase, you'd think.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    So is Paine (cross-post).
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-08-2019, 17:54.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Paine also, although Australia rarely drop captains mid-series, especially winning ones.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yeah, it was a gag. Khawaja looks vulnerable.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Someone else will be dropped - Labushagne has looked their only class batsman apart from Smith. It will be also interesting to see if they rest of the quicks to bring back Starc.

Fuck knows what England do: they have no batsmen worth their places at this point, but can't just drop 4 or 5 players.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-08-2019, 17:44.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    No worries

Smith will be back for the next test
    If he can dislodge Labuschagne from the side. .

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That was highly amusing

Leave a comment:

• The_Purple_Cow
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Worse than retro. No batting at all, whereas in the past they had Gooch, Gower, Cook, etc.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Well this is all very retro isn't it

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Cricinfo: "In 37 innings [England] have got out for less than 100 four times, which is once in about nine innings [9.25]."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...otal-two-years

There's no precedent for this in modern Test cricket AFAIK, and it's on covered wickets, which have only been allowed since around 1977 IIRC. Australia's attack is good but not McGrath-Warne or 1980s Windies good. Clearly the team has substandard technique and/or serious shot selection issues.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-08-2019, 14:55.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    No worries

Smith will be back for the next test

Leave a comment:

Working...
X