No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As ever, Vic Marks has had a blinding summer and this article is a particularly good post script to it. I especially like Jack Leach's stories about his chats with Lyon and Smith after The Oval Test :

Sacrificing Ashes for a World Cup win appears worthwhile for England

Comment

That's actually a bit lower than I'd have expected. I wonder how much Rabada (the closest equivalent I can think of) is getting from the SACB.

Comment

Well, it does say his earnings could "top £1m", which may mean they go significantly higher.

Comment

Would Archer have missed the entire series if Anderson had been fit, or would he have eventually replaced Woakes?

There's a huge danger of him being overbowled if he plays in all three forms of the game.

Comment

Hmm, a long time before that happens.

Comment

I'm loath to mention the 'article' produced by a 'newspaper' today or indeed to mention the publication or the individual here lest it lead to some kind of alert thing.

Utterly awful rag sinking to new depths. I hope the ECB ban their 'reporters'.

Comment

Already discussed in the Murdoch thread

Comment

The Headingley Test is being replayed over the next 4 days on 5 extra.

Comment

Great spot. Thank you!

Comment

Christ, just reread the last few pages of this thread and it's the strongest reminder of how much I'm missing sport in a while. I still can't get with watching or listening to old fixtures, it just seems to rub in what I'm missing now,
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-04-2020, 11:27.

Comment

"It's going to be a great Test match" - Simon Mann.

I'd forgotten about the rain on the first day, so far they've bowled four overs and Archer has got Harris out. Looking forward to hearing Jim Maxwell call the shipping forecast, Sir Geoffrey coming off his long run at tea on the second day discussing England's batting and actually getting to hear the full conclusion. I went on holiday that blisteringly hot Sunday lunchtime and there was a lass on the train listening to TMS and keeping several people up to date. Stokes hit the winning runs just as I got off the train and I went straight for a celebratory pint.

Ha ha, now they're doing Headingley 81.

Comment

While "we're" currently here

Comment

Don't know where to put this but I was sad to see Peter Walker has died.

I mainly knew him from his broadcasting, especially on BBC Wales, and loved his voice. Meeting him (along with Bill McLaren) when I was young and my ambition was to be a commentator was something I still cherish, a lovely man.

Comment

Walker hosted the John Player League on BBC2 on Sundays in the 1970s (1.55pm to 6.45pm from memory). His big feature was the teatime interview between innings. I think he disappeared from national TV after Sunday Grandstand started in 1981 (which was also when Tests started to play on the middle Sunday).
                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-04-2020, 16:34.

Comment

Quick cricket question. Anyone know where I might find full scorecards at the end of each day for the 2019 Headingley Test? For a cricket mad kid to look at while he listens?

Comment

Cricinfo gives close of play scores with the not out batsmen so you can derive a card from that, but don't know of any full scorecards with bowling figures etc.

Amusing commentators curse here, lots of talk about how good batting conditions are and it's a Jason Roy day then he gets out to a flashing drive in the fourth over, now Cook has said that he expects England to get 300 plus then Root is dismissed next ball.

Comment

You could use the innings commentaries on Cricinfo:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...=4&filter=full

Comment

Oh my.

https://twitter.com/Vitu_E/status/1248278741912035330

I've not watched it beyond highlights. I don't know if I'll stick with TMS or watch it. Or spend ages working out if I can sync it up.

Comment

Australia have 'just' been bowled out and set England 359 to win. You still think: there's no way they'll get that.

Comment

It's very poignant all the talk about Anderson (who was already injured) and Broad on TMS. I think Broad will play again – they'll need an experienced head just to keep some continuity, even if he's lost another couple of miles an hour. Anderson, I doubt he'll play again. It's too big an ask. Though they said that about 359.

Comment

Anderson: Possibly a farewell Test against a weak opponent?

Comment

Eight sessions to bat through or 348 to win? It doesn't seem possible does it?

Edit: I'm enjoying following our reactions along with the replay. We are currently here.
                                              Last edited by Levin; 10-04-2020, 12:05.

Comment

Levin, those links are really lovely. Thank you. You can see that we all basically fcked off outside for the afternoon. I remember doing it.
                                                Last edited by diggedy derek; 10-04-2020, 12:13.

Comment

Wisden named Stokes as the world's best cricketer of the last 12 months and I can't disagree with that. England wouldn't have won the World Cup without him and would have lost the Ashes 3-1 at best. But more than that is his putting cricket back in the spotlight for the first time since 2005, inspiring kids and creating a sense of awe.

Comment

Tough on Steve Smith though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X