Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Literally unbelievable.

Comment

Haven't been on OTF in months, but this afternoon seemed worth making an exception for – especially after coming across this inspired piece of Wiki-vandalism just now:

Comment

Test cricket is the best sport there is. Only Test cricket can do this, and the memories stick for a lifetime in a way that maybe those in other sports don't always achieve. Stokes gets a kind of sporting immortality of reputation no matter what he does on the field after this.

Imagine kids watching this and becoming addicted to Test cricket for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
          There are a number of Americans on this thread who know exactly what's going on.
          I’ve been following it, but haven’t been able to watch it.

Comment

Another ropey umpiring decision though.

Still keeps the series alive.

Comment

Before that ball brushed the front pad of Stokes it was tracking towards leg, possibly the outside of leg stump. Hawkeye showed it hitting middle and leg. I don't think the technology accounted for that feather off his pad, which i think the umpire did.

Comment

Wow.

Comment

Stokes played the worst shot of the entire series in the first innings yet still won the game pretty much single-handedly. And he bowled brilliantly second time round too, having been similarly poor first innings.

One of those days when Test cricket doesn't feel like so much of a team sport. Also, one of those days when Test cricket feels like the greatest thing in the world.

Comment

The first time I ever bet on anything. I put 20 quid on England to win after Australia were bowled out. I just had a really strong feeling they were going to do it. Didn't think they were going to do it that way. Astonishing.

Comment

How much did you win?

Comment

I have seen the future, and there will be at least one journalist this week who'll shat out a column which ties in this remarkable Ashes performance to Brexit and standing tall, dunkirk spirit, white cliffs of Dover and that. As the vision fades, I see Johnson's face photoshopped onto Ben Stokes celebratory posture. Oh it burns, quick, piss into my eyes.

Comment

I won £140 quid. Frankly I thought 6-1 was pretty poor odds but I didn't have time to shop around.

Comment

Astounding stuff, I watched the last few hours in a box at Spurs and it did make the subsequent football game seem a bit prosaic.

It's silly to make predictions in this ridiculous rollercoaster series but I think that the the Aussies may be broken now.

The way they threw away the chance to secure the urn with their fielding and reviews in the final hour will haunt them as well as the fear of what else Stokes can achieve.

Comment

If Smith is back and unaffected they will be fine.

If not . . .

Comment

I agree. It must be psychologically shattering. Plus Archer, maybe Anderson, to bring further ghosts into their heads.

Meanwhile, not to be outdone, India have WI at 47/7 in Antigua with Bumrah on 5-7.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 19:30.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1165707679811211264?s=19

Comment

So what do England do about Roy? He's got to go, or at least drop down the order.

Open with Bairstow? Even better - Leach!

Comment

Roy, Buttler and Denly would all be in line for dropping under normal circumstances. But I can't see them dropping more than one of them.

Comment

I think that Denly's done enough to get the nod but agreed on the other two. Vaughan was suggesting that Ollie Pope could come in.

Comment

Oh, and watching the highlights on C5 I realised that Mitchell Johnson has Dave Grohl's mouth.

Comment

Still can't believe what I have seen today. Test cricket, just simply the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                              Roy, Buttler and Denly would all be in line for dropping under normal circumstances. But I can't see them dropping more than one of them.
                                              None of them appear up to it as Test bats, but are there better bets outside the team?

Comment

Not obviously, but you don't know unless you give them a go. Buttler prior to this summer had been in decent nick, Denly I don't think is good enough but he probably has earned a reprieve given the absence of alternatives. But Roy has to be dropped. His whole shtick is being aggressive and he can't do that under the pressure he's under.

Comment

Congrats, Etienne. As you say, the odds for England wins frequently are rather poor, meaning this extraordinary win has yielded somewhat ordinary winnings.

I hope they have the confidence to drop Roy after this performance. No blame, no bad feelings. But someone else has to come in. I don't have any useful suggestions, though. Any half-decent opener, is my usual answer to the question.

Comment

Cricket, bloody hell.
                                                    ​​​​​​
                                                    Missed all the fun as it happened as we were at a festival this weekend, but watched it on C5 this evening. Just incomprehensible. Incomparable.

And, yeah, still not convinced by the team...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X