No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends. When he was born, in South Africa it was something Afrikaans, nothing like either of those, and I can't convey it phonetically. Now it sounds more like "shaney". Think Healy encouraging Warne.

Comment

Andrew Sampson was saying it in the original Afrikaans today and it sounded like neither, though the "champagne" pronunciation seems to be the generally used version since he moved to Australia.

Comment

There was a discussion on this on the Guardian's The Spin podcast a week or so back. But I can't remember what the final outcome was (I do remember that there is an original pronunciation and then there was the Australian pronunciation which Labuschagne - who's a saffer - had eventually decided to go along with)

Comment

I was a bit slow with that answer obviously

Comment

Thanks all. Definitely not the lasagne version then, which was what I had in my head until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Smith could perhaps (being really harsh) have worked more on training on how to evade extreme pace, or worn the stem protector. Australia might retaliate with more intimidation next Test.

Australia may have been saved in this Test by the rain, or they might have chosen to bat first if the first day had not been lost. That's Test cricket, so many ifs and buts.
              Couple of things here: You could argue that Australia have basically been saved twice in this series: first by the Anderson injury, second by the rain. So if they mither and whine about how unfair it is that Smith's injured, give them shit.

The second thing is that (Sky/whatever dodgy feed I was watching) showed - just as Archer was starting his first over - how much the Australians, and particularly Cummings, peppered him with the short ball in the first innings. Given that this would have been ordered by Smith, it would seem odd that Australia could be talking about retaliation. They appear to have started it, trying to intimidate Archer.

Comment

Totally agree. Cummings was also targeting tailenders in the last Ashes series in Australia, which might be where the idea of using someone of Archer's pace to dish it back came from.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Couple of things here: You could argue that Australia have basically been saved twice in this series: first by the Anderson injury, second by the rain. So if they mither and whine about how unfair it is that Smith's injured, give them shit.

The second thing is that (Sky/whatever dodgy feed I was watching) showed - just as Archer was starting his first over - how much the Australians, and particularly Cummings, peppered him with the short ball in the first innings. Given that this would have been ordered by Smith, it would seem odd that Australia could be talking about retaliation. They appear to have started it, trying to intimidate Archer.
                  Smith isn't the captain so wouldn't have "ordered" any bowling and no Australian players or coaches have "mithered or whined" as far as I've seen.

Anderson's injury "saving" Australia in Edgbaston is quite a stretch of the imagination too, however much it certainly weakened England. With regard to the rain, as others have pointed out, but for the first day being washed out Australia may have chosen to bat first which could have altered the match significantly.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-08-2019, 20:54.

Comment

Fair point about Smith not being captain. My brain obviously still fails to process that.

Comment

Just before lunch on Saturday, I said to my wife that the only way that England were going to get Smith out was to shoot him. I hadn't realised that that's what they were going to do...

Comment

Smith ruled out of the next test. Sense prevails over his head injury at last.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                          It depends. When he was born, in South Africa it was something Afrikaans, nothing like either of those, and I can't convey it phonetically. Now it sounds more like "shaney". Think Healy encouraging Warne.
                          I'll have a go, since I was also confused by this as I remember Jannes Labuschagne, aka the guy who ran over Jonny Wilkinson and got sent off in one of the all-time embarrassments in Springbok rugby when they lost to England 53-3.

La-bus-schag-ne: Lah-buus-shog*-nay.

*rhymes with cog. Also need to pronounce that G like groot in Dutch/Afrikaans. So a gutteral sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                            Smith ruled out of the next test. Sense prevails over his head injury at last.
                            Potentially McGrathesque in its impact on the series but unavoidable given the quick turnaround and the sensible decision.

Comment

Raining in Leeds

Comment

England win slightly delayed toss and opt to bowl. Last five tests at Headingley the side winning the toss have lost. Paine says he would have batted (though obviously he might just be saying that)

Comment

Covers back on

Comment

And they're off!

Comment

This might be the one occasion where bowling first works. Juice in the pitch; Australia very vulnerable with the bat; the pitch will settle down later under blue skies.

Comment

If the weather allows them to really have a bowl at them. If most of today is rained out and tomorrow is sunny it may prove to be a big error

Comment

Definitely felt like a bowl first kind of day here 30 miles away - although it hasn't rained at all - it's one of those late summer mornings with slate grey cloud cover, heavy clammy air and the ball should turn round corners.

Comment

England doing OK to take two wickets, but poor captaincy by Root to not give Woakes a go between the rain breaks.

Comment

They can play until 7.30, apparently.

Comment

"The battens have been hatched down" - Jim Maxwell.

Comment

That scorecard suddenly is looking a lot better

Comment

6/45 for Archer. This lad's pretty good, isn't he?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X