No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do fifth day tickets work at Lord’s? I thought it was £20, first come first served at the gate, but it’s sold out on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      I think Australia would have been allowed to replace Smith if a doctor withdrew him from the match.
      Yes, there are now concussion substitutes allowed. Marnus Labushagne would have replaced Smith according to TMS.

Archer picked up a lot of flak on twitter for not checking on Smith and laughing with Buttler about something while the player was still down being treated. Not sure how justified the criticism is because...Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
        How do fifth day tickets work at Lord’s? I thought it was £20, first come first served at the gate, but it’s sold out on their website.
        I think it's a limited amount sold in advance and TMS are saying you can pay on the gate tomorrow...which is the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I think it's a limited amount sold in advance and TMS are saying you can pay on the gate tomorrow...which is the norm.
          Cool, the Lord’s website is not at all helpful about this.

Comment

Oh hang on, Agnew has just admitted they gave out incorrect info and tomorrow is properly sold out.

Comment

Would reckon a good few spares will be floating about.

Comment

I reckon that extra hour lost has probably killed this game, unless Australia start taking wickets. England won't dare declare on less than 250 and it'll take them until tea to get there. Real pity that there isn't provision to use a sixth day in the event of a whole day being washed out.

Comment

Smith's out of the match

Comment

And probably the 3rd Test too

Comment

https://twitter.com/danbrettig/status/1163048721548005377?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Smith's out of the match
                        Cue the cheering morons.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if the other Australian batsmen can step up their performances in his absence. They will need to.

I wouldn't be happy to see a series swing on a concussion.

Comment

So, what lead do England declare at? 250? Could probably thrash their way to something like 275-300 in short time.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              It will be interesting to see if the other Australian batsmen can step up their performances in his absence. They will need to.

I wouldn't be happy to see a series swing on a concussion.
                              Neither would I, but we don't know how the first match would have gone without Anderson's injury.

Comment

The injuries were in very different circumstances though.

Warner and Bancroft need to show far more aptitude than they have all series so far for Australia to survive. The former particularly has had a terrible time of it, both in the field and with the bat.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-08-2019, 14:35.

Comment

Spotted by the BBC commentators, a bloke in the crowd with a baby in a jumper with 4 on the front and 6 on the back that he is variously lifting above his head every time there's a boundary. Genius, and blimey EIM thinks Liverpool fans are weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Spotted by the BBC commentators, a bloke in the crowd with a baby in a jumper with 4 on the front and 6 on the back that he is variously lifting above his head every time there's a boundary. Genius, and blimey EIM thinks Liverpool fans are weird.

Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                      The injuries were in very different circumstances though.
                                      Both injuries potentially changed the game. Both were unfortunate. Unless of course you're suggesting that Archer was trying to hit Smith.

Otherwise I can't really see where the substantive difference is

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                        Both injuries potentially changed the game. Both were unfortunate. Unless of course you're suggesting that Archer was trying to hit Smith.

Otherwise I can't really see where the substantive difference is
                                        One was a predictable selectorial error in picking a player with a pre-existing injury and/or had not properly prepared for the test by playing a warm up game. The injury incurred was a pulled calf muscle.

The other injury was in the course of play due to an opponents actions (which I don't feel was necessarily deliberate, any more than any other intimidatory fast bowling) and had potentially life-altering repercussions.

So, differing circumstances.

Comment

When's tea today?

Comment

Fair play to Root, I was mithering that he should have opened with Woakes, but Archer is clearly something very special.

Comment

Circumstances are always different. Result is basically the same.

Comment

It's a fair point that had Anderson been fit for this series, the complexion might be very different. Similarly, had Archer chosen to play for West Indies not England, their attack would be very different, and Smith would have avoided the concussion. Likewise, Australia would be fucked if Smith had been banned for longer.

Smith could perhaps (being really harsh) have worked more on training on how to evade extreme pace, or worn the stem protector. Australia might retaliate with more intimidation next Test.

Australia may have been saved in this Test by the rain, or they might have chosen to bat first if the first day had not been lost. That's Test cricket, so many ifs and buts.
                                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-08-2019, 15:36.

Comment

Glad that Labuschagne dismissal didn't prove crucial, from the angles shown on the BBC OBO highlights I cannot see how it was given as a catch.

England must be favourites for Headingly given the momentum from this test and Smith being doubtful, even if his replacement looked better than all the other Australian batsmen.

Comment

You can't beat a possible-but-difficult Test cricket run chase, can you?

Is the 'agne' at the end of Labuschagne's name supposed to be as in 'champagne' or 'lasagne'?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X