No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to think I got Sid Vicious his wicket there.

Comment

He's doing all right for a sentimental selection

Comment

BBC's OBO has just said that one of England's potential sub fielders today, Middlesex's Dan Lincoln, is also goalkeeper for Bognor Regis Town.

Comment

This is not like any Lord's track I have eve seen. Spin and seam from the pitch (not from the rough) on day 1 is unheard of. If England could get to 250 they've had a good day - 300 is an excellent day.

Regarding Jason Roy, I was one of those who thought he deserved a chance as a test opener, and I stand by that for the moment. However, I suspect the experiment will fail. Roy likes to feel the ball on his bat as often as possible, he sees to regard letting one through to the keeper as a defeat. But a test match opener needs to view every ball he leaves alone as a victory for him over the bowler.

Comment

What's "the rough?"

Comment

The parts of the wicket where the surface has begun to crack and break up due to the impact of balls and feet.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                The parts of the wicket where the surface has begun to crack and break up due to the impact of balls and feet.
                And Australian batsmen wandering about and shuffling their studs at the bit Shane likes to bowl into.

Comment

Shane himself was picking at one such bit on Sky during tea . . .

Comment

I see. Thanks

Comment

The existence of rough is one of the things that makes cricket great. The fact that the surface that the ball bounces off changes over the course of the match adds all kinds of tactical subtlety, and the fact that the very actions of the bowlers and batsman can create problems for themselves later is a particularly engaging element of that.

Comment

I know I'm meant to be happy when England take a wicket, but it's hard when you know it means that we're about to get Steve Smith coming in.

Comment

Still at least Khawaja didn't stick around with him.

Comment

It's starting to rain in Pinner...

Comment

TMS should get that kid with the cake as a regular summariser, she spoke more sense than Tufnell.

Comment

Not difficult.

Comment

Not sure what's happening: the covers are off at Lords apparently but it's raining heavier than ever in Pinner...

Comment

155-5 at lunch. Archer's economy is an impressive addition to his qualities (Anderson-like, Joel Garner-like?) but Australia seem happy to proceed at 2.38 an over.

Smith has already equaled England's top individual score (53). One more run and he becomes the top scorer in each of the first 3 innings of the series.
                                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 17-08-2019, 12:36.

Comment

That was brutal.

Comment

Did I really hear spectators booing Smith as he left the field? Disgraceful if so.

Comment

There were boos as he returned

Comment

I think Australia would have been allowed to replace Smith if a doctor withdrew him from the match.

But he's back, which is great, and only needs 12 for another ton.

Comment

There were boos as he returned

Morons!

Comment

Cricinfo:

"CA have put out the following statement on Smith: Steve was hit on the neck below the left ear. He was assessed lying on the pitch at the instructions of team doctor Richard Saw. Dr Saw made the precautionary decision to remove Steve from the field of play to have him further assessed under Cricket Australia's head impact protocol. Steve then passed his assessments and will now be monitored on an ongoing basis, as is routine."

Comment

It was a nasty blow.

With Smith gone let's see if Archer can clean up the Aussie tail, though Woakes is doing well enough to do it himself.

Comment

I'm conflicted as to whether Smith should have been allowed to resume, e.g. are the tests he passed adequate relative to the danger of facing a bowler of Archer's pace?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X