X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alongside, at least initially

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      I think Australia are better at Tests than ODIs, due to Smith being clearly the best around in Tests but not necessarily ODIs and due to Lyon's impact in Tests. The rankings will soon reflect this, I think.

West Indies are potentially coming back in Tests but useless in ODIs.

But the difference with England is that winning the World Cup was clearly prioritized over the Test side and I can't recall any other team doing that to the same extent, maybe ever. The Test team was assumed to be OK because Anderson kept winning home series for them, but there was no succession plan for the end of the Anderson-Broad era so England now have to gamble on rookie quicks in the middle of an Ashes series.
      Generally agree but the gamble in the last match was surely Anderson himself. Woakes isn't a rookie any more; he's played 28 Tests now.

Comment

Isn't Archer the "rookie quick" in question?

Comment

Ah, fair enough

Comment

I'm not sure why they picked Leach for the Ireland game but not here. OK he didn't take wickets but England don't drop batsmen after one home failure these days.

I'm also surprised that it wasn't predictable that Bairstow and Ali would struggle against this opponent.

Comment

Spinners are set very high standards by England fans and selectors.

Comment

Aye. They have to be as good as Swann, basically. Trouble is, who can get a run of 5-10 games to show that he is?

England should accept that Anderson is done and Broad in his last series.

Comment

Unless the weather is totally different in St. Johns Wood, about eight miles away, I wouldn't expect anything today...

Comment

Thanks GO. I'm down tomorrow all being well

Comment

I'm there on Sunday if it's still going, and the rain seems the best chance of prolonging it thus far.

I think England should go with Curran instead of Denly.

Comment

5 seamers in a 4 day game? (Assuming Burns, Roy, Root, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow, Woakes, Curran, Archer, Leach, Broad). I'm with Aggers here and would keep Denly

Comment

Cricinfo thinks there might be some afternoon play. Do they use floodlights to overcome bad light? What's the weather forecast on days 2-5?

Comment

It’s absolutely pissing it down out there.

Comment

Apparently it's due to start at half-three, but it's pissing it down up here again...

Comment

Attention switches to WI v India, where Gayle and Lewis have scored 92 in the last 5 overs. Most ever sixes in the first 10 overs of a ODI innings.

Comment

Looking at the weather forecast : can both captains agree to play a one-innings test, like I think they sometimes do in county cricket?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    Looking at the weather forecast : can both captains agree to play a one-innings test, like I think they sometimes do in county cricket?
                                    Forfeiting a innings is well within the rules, as is declaring after one ball bowled.

Comment

Both sides did that in the infamous Cronje Test and apparently Nasser Hussain still has very bad feelings over it, a huge asterisk next to the win.

However, that was a dead rubber and it would be insane for Australia to do it when 1-0 up.

Comment

I reckon it’s inconceivable an innings per team would ever be forfeited again. It would simply raise too many questions. I don’t think a captain could expect to retain the support of their national cricket board. In the interests of transparency, it is completely out of the question.

Comment

DD - Surely the captain would speak to the powers that be before he or she forfeited an innings? Looking at the weather forecast for the rest of the week it should be 3 1/2 days of cricket after today.

Looking forward to a good day's cricket today. Spending the day at Lord's and then dashing over to the Oval for Surrey v Sussex T20.
                                          Last edited by gt3; 15-08-2019, 09:24. Reason: To remove stupid reference to DLS... Too much one day cricket this year!!!

Comment

Roy's out without bothering the scorers...

Comment

Hazlewood's good but that was three consecutive awful shots from Roy. A truly terrible innings.

Comment

Though Hazlewood is bowling masterfully, it has to be said. Looks a good call to have plumped for him ahead of Starc

Comment

Wasn't it Siddle who Starc may have come in in for?

Comment

The Aussie media saw it more as between him and Hazelwood

Comment

Working...
                                                    X