• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
    This seems as good a place as any to share this:

How great romantic Neville Cardus changed sports writing for ever

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...y_to_clipboard
    Radio 4 Extra had that as Book Of The Week this week, read by Toby Jones. It was great and more than convinced me to buy it.

Comment

RdG, it prompted me to search out a second hand (it seems to be out of print) copy of Cardus on Cricket... It should be arriving on my birthday...
      Will download the Book of The Week. Thanks for flagging that up for me.

Comment

121 wasn't enough. Less one-sided than I feared though (that first over was a bit of an aberration). At least until Perry came in at 35/3 or thereabouts. I'm just sorry I didn't get to see more of her.

Foyles had some Cardus books the other day.

Comment

I realised yesterday that I was vaguely in the Midlands for work on Friday night. Bizarrely, one solitary ticket for Saturday at Edgbaston popped up on Warwickshire's site when I went on there so I'll be savouring the atmosphere at the ground for the first time.

Comment

Vaguely in the Midlands?

Comment

And trebeis can't stop giving us grief about the Midwest

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                Vaguely in the Midlands?
                I'm on the Oxfordshire edge of the Cotswolds, is that the Midlands? It's about 45 miles from Edgbaston, as the crow flies.

Comment

On the cusp, certainly.

Comment

Oxford itself seems to vacillate between thinking it's in the South East and the South Midlands. The buses were called South Midlands. We were South-East on the BBC, but Central on ITV. I think it's fair to say that Oxfordshire is both Vaguely, and On The Cusp. It's vaguely Midlandsy, vaguely South-Easty, even, in the Cotswolds, vaguely South-Westy.

Comment

Cuspy towns have their region defined by which version of the ITV Sunday afternoon football highlights programme they were on. For example, Northampton were on Match of the Week with Gerry Harrison. Thus Northampton is in East Anglia. It's not entirely satisfactory but it's as good a way as any.

Comment

Heh, if you want to cross-reference, here's a map for the ITV regions as of 1982:

Edit - sorry, just noticed that SB already mentioned Oxford itself was Central.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          Oxford itself seems to vacillate between thinking it's in the South East and the South Midlands. The buses were called South Midlands. We were South-East on the BBC, but Central on ITV. I think it's fair to say that Oxfordshire is both Vaguely, and On The Cusp. It's vaguely Midlandsy, vaguely South-Easty, even, in the Cotswolds, vaguely South-Westy.
                          I've always found the concept of the South Midlands a weird one, especially as I think I've only ever encountered it in the context of the Spartan South Midlands League .

Here's a companion map to the TV region one for comparsion :
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 30-07-2019, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Heh, if you want to cross-reference, here's a map for the ITV regions as of 1982:

Edit - sorry, just noticed that SB already mentioned Oxford itself was Central.
                            Places on the North Norfolk coast were in Yorkshire? Lumme

Comment

Dear Mr Root

Remain at 4.

You're the captain, it's your strongest position, it's best for the team

Stand your ground.

You know it's right

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

And HTV, "Harlech Television" covered Bristol.

Albeit in its HTV West incarnation, rather than HTV Cymru.

Comment

England were competitive for three overs this evening. That's an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Only if their hand-cranked generators were able to receive a faint signal from Hull

Comment

Actually that's a competitive total by England against normal opposition.

Comment

Perry's actually going to be tested here.

Comment

Well done, England.

Comment

Bit of respectability earned tonight. Good to see.

Comment

Good luck Australia, for the main event.

More in hope than expectation though.

Comment

Fuck's sake, stop letting Broad waste reviews on speculative shouts.

Comment

That'll do though!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X