No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia 240/3 after 90, and I'm already expecting a follow on and innings defeat tbh

Comment

Yes...this is women against girls, as someone nearly once said.

Comment

Perry scored 213* last time they played a test. Difficult to see how England are going to get her out here either.

Comment

Yeah Perry is a phenomenon. Looks like this series will be definitively beyond England by tomorrow lunchtime.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/status/1151900871292325888

Comment

England were challenging the bat at the start of the innings, but Australia were giving the loose ones a whack. With England needing to attack, they were going at four an over easily, and it was slipping away from them after an hour.

Comment

Given that England have in Shrubsole and (arguably) Brunt the two best swing bowlers in women's cricket, why aren't they using a Duke's ball?

Comment

Also, the Aussie women look fitter and more athletic to me. Some of the England girls look like they are carrying a few too many kilograms.

Comment

Got her.
                    https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1152179708165009409?s=19

Comment

Is Australia always this dominant?

Comment

No. England have won Ashes series in recent years, been ranked world no.1 and won World Cups and World T20s. Australia have done all of that more often, but it hasn't been one-sided. The current apparent disparity is as perplexing as it is depressing.

Comment

No, England are the world champions though perhaps it was fortunate that India knocked Australia out in the semi final rather than England having to play them. And the last Ashes series (2017-18) was an overall draw at 8 points each (though it meant Australia retained them).

However they dominated England in the World T20 final in late 2018 (bowled England out and made the total in 15 overs) and are top of the Women's ODI Championship so I think it's fair to say either they've upped their game since 2017 or England have let the standard dip.

Comment

Let the pain be the teacher, as they say.

I'm not really sure how to understand the ICC rankings, but it looks that women's cricket is more competitive than I would have expected. I was thinking Australia and England were to women's cricket what the US and Canada are to women's hockey, but it appears that New Zealand, India, South Africa and WI are all well represented in the list of top performers.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-07-2019, 15:25.

Comment

After an early wobble, this isn't too bad a way to start saving things. Avoiding the follow on is key.

Comment

Is the follow on target at 200 runs behind?

Comment

That's the target for a five day match but this one is scheduled for four (it concludes tomorrow) which means it's 150. So 270 is needed to avoid that.

Comment

A day of relative success, only six down. As long as we don't lose 14 tomorrow we won't lose the Test. Yes, that means Australia retain the Ashes but at least we'll have some points on the board.

Comment

England have played pretty well today, but the damage was already done.

Comment

Following these games from afar, Perry is starting to give me flashbacks to Steve Waugh. No matter how hard England try (and it was a really tight start to Australia’s second innings) she does not open the door even a crack.

Apparently Sarah Taylor was heard on the stump mike chuntering on about “..
                                        carrot cakes”. Ecclestone’s nickname is apparently “Cakes”.

Comment

Why did England declare when they were still so far behind?

Comment

They needed to win the game to have a chance of winning the series, whereas Australia only needed to draw. England therefore needed as much time as possible to try and bowl Australia out (for a small total) and try and bat again to chase down the score down.

it was the right tactic, because England had shown resilience in the morning to avoid the follow-on (which is to say, they score enough runs to avoid the threat of Australia exercising their option to force England to bat again immediately, or ‘follow on’). For a short time, there was a minor amount of pressure back on Australia, especially when England took two early wickets. But Australia were always comfortable batting out the game, ie, staying in and scoring runs until the game had effectively run out of time.

Comment

In fact TMS was questioning why England waited four extra balls/until the next wicket fell after the follow-on was saved to declare. They gained nothing, expect losing an over from the match. About the only way England could have won the game today was to save the follow-on, either have Australia be overly aggressive chasing a win and declare early in their second innings or collapse spectacularly, leaving England with ~230 to chase to win it. Never a realistic chance, but in the situation it was the only straw to clutch at.

Comment

Sciver looked absolutely devastated after she played on to an innocuous ball. Well, she has never scored a test century and will now have to wait over a year before she gets another opportunity to bat, let alone another realistic chance.

Comment

I see. I guess they’d have a better chance at scoring runs with the top of the order.

I didn’t know there was a threshold to stop the follow-on. It seems like that increases the chance of a draw whereas maybe Australia would have had a better chance to win if they could have made England bat again. I would think the rules would want to favor creating a result.

Are the Ashes awarded for the whole series, or just the Test result?

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 21-07-2019, 17:43.

Comment

Whole series.

The winning team gets two points for each of the ODIs and T20s and four points for the Test. Points are shared in the event of a tie/draw.

As it is now 8-2 Australia with six points in play, they retain the title as that is the outcome in the event of a tie on points.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X