Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    How did you know ad hoc?
    I think probably because I'm 53 years old and therefore I perceive England batting collapses as the default. The fact that there hadn't been one yesterday simply meant it was due today. The moment Stokes was out I assumed was the start (and I said as much to noj, occasionally of this parish). One of those moments when I take no joy in being entirely right

Comment

All very good since lunch.

Comment

Impressive badminding

Comment

Sorry

Comment

England are still favored, apparently.

I suppose eight to ten hours at the ground isn’t more than what American football fans do if they also do a tailgate. Same with NASCAR.

It’s nice that they let you bring in food.

Comment

It could be over early if Smith goes, but then again Australia had chances to make this very close. At the risk of repeating myself, omitting Starc was a crucial error.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                How many people stay all six hours? Who has the time?
                On a separate but related topic, would there be many people who attend all or most of their team's home major league baseball games? You'd presumably have to be retired or have a very favourable work schedule to do so.

Comment

Reckon the first hour this morning decides the match.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

On a separate but related topic, would there be many people who attend all or most of their team's home major league baseball games? You'd presumably have to be retired or have a very favourable work schedule to do so.
                    I'm sure the North American posters are better placed to answer this one but the Class A affiliate of the Reds, and previously Cubs, in Daytona had a fan called Front Row Joe who had a home streak attendance of 1439 games which consumed 21 years. There are fewer games in a minor league season (140) and postponed games are often not made up so maybe slightly easier to do, but not by much.

Comment

A friend of mine saw Ashley Giles on Droitwich station at ten past ten. That would have put him into New Street at 1046, or he could have alighted at University at 1037, so I hope he made it in time for the start.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Reckon the first hour this morning decides the match.
                        I hereby call it for Australia

Comment

AH is echoing what Vaughan said at stumps yesterday, if not quite as stridently (any other Sheff Wed offering?).

If Australia get 250 ahead it'll likely be late this afternoon (rain is possible). Thus a decent chance of draw surely?

Comment

Greenlander's knowledge of Florida State League trivia will never cease to amaze me.

The answer to Sporting's question will differ by club and has changed over time.

Fifty years ago, about half of the thousands of "season tickets" that either of the New York clubs would sell would have been owned by individuals, most of whom would attend a good percentage of the 81 home matches (even then, it was rare for fans to get to all of them). The others would be owned by corporate entities who used them to entertain clients and colleagues. Personal ownership was even more prevalent outside of New York. As time has gone by and the cost of tickets has increased substantially (particularly at the new Yankee Stadium), the percentage owned by corporates has increased and is now likely close to 80-90 percent. Many of those owned by individuals are now shared, so that each member of the group gets to go to one of every two, three or four games.

There are still a handful of fans with long attendance streaks, but they are increasingly rare. When I was a kid, the idea of having a season ticket and going to every game was a principal life goal. Now that I can actually do so, it strikes me as a very strange allocation of my time.

Comment

Well this Test is lost now. Well done Australia, or rather Smith

Comment

Praying for rain now.

Comment

Wade and pain

Comment

England should be able to get a draw, given that the pitch is now dead. Sure Lyon will be dangerous, but he can only bowl at one end, and they don't have another spinner. I mean, they probably won't, but they should be able to.

Comment

I see a draw too, why haven't Australia declared already?!

Comment

Paine isn't sure he can without Smith's permission

Comment

I understand that you want to take the England win completely out of the equation so Lyon can have full on attacking fields. One of the problems Moeen had was that he had 3-4 men on the boundary all the time, so he couldn't build pressure (and another problem was that he wasn't bowling with enough control).

Comment

This hour will be important

Comment

Only 7 overs but a crucial passage.

Comment

There's nothing much in this pitch and none of the Aussie bowlers, including Lyon, have looked that threatening. I can easily see England batting out the rest of this evening and tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                  England should be able to get a draw, given that the pitch is now dead. Sure Lyon will be dangerous, but he can only bowl at one end, and they don't have another spinner. I mean, they probably won't, but they should be able to.
                                                  All of this. Especially the last sentence

Comment

England to go into the last hour 6 or 7 down but somehow cling on, given how tails have wagged in this game.

(translation: similar hex attempt to Ray above)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X