No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The opinion of cricket fans in my local ranged from "fucking hell, what a batsman" to "fucking hell, what a batsman. Cheating cunt mind". At least opinion isn't divided on the first part. Personally I'm in the primary camp. We're in the presence of genius here.

Comment

I always saw Smith as the weak one whose crime was of not opposing Warner's idea in sandpapergate. A twat, basically, not a cunt. Warner, on the other hand...

Comment

Warner coming back must mean that they have no faith in their batting reserves at all. His Test career was meant to be toast after the sandpaper disgrace.

I'm not sure he will last the series, though.

I'm struggling to believe Starc is not a better bet than Cummins in England.

Comment

I honestly think the sandpaper thing has been massively overplayed. Warner is a deeply unpleasant man by all accounts, but he got caught out doing something that most test-playing countires do, took the hit and is back for selection. For the Australians not to pick him now would be perverse. He is world class, after all - batting reserves don't come into it.

I think Starc is going to play a large part in this series, but (I think) the thinking was that he's best suited to flatter, less responsive pitches where his abitiy to reverse swing the ball will come into play. Both teams wil be using their reserves to rest certain bowlers and bring in fresh supplies when necessary.

These really are two very similar test sides - strong on pace, a bit flaky in the batting. I honestly can't call this series yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
            I honestly think the sandpaper thing has been massively overplayed.
            I think this is true but I do think it needed to be fully punished.

David "Speak English" Warner can fuck right off though.

Comment

Bugger.

Comment

That's a bit lucky.

(Root bowled, without the bails coming off, for those not following live)
                Last edited by Etienne; 02-08-2019, 11:50.

Comment

This is an old school test scoring rate. I approve

Comment

Judging by the OBO, Burns may have used up a series worth of luck in this innings.

Comment

How do they decide when to pull the stumps for the day? Is it a fixed time or darkness? How long does it take to change sides? It seems like it would be kinda annoying to wait for the change and then only get to see two more overs before going home.

Comment

There's a set amount of overs to be bowled over the day, and a fixed cut off time. Whichever of those comes first.
                        It takes two overs/ten minutes to change over between batting sides.

Comment

What's the cutoff number and time?

Comment

The time depends on the start time and a couple of other factors. The maximum overs per day is usually 90, but if time has been lost to rain on other days then it can be more. Today was 18.30 cut off time or 90 overs. The 18.30 time deadline "won" (I think they bowled 88 overs)

Comment

A standard test day is 90 overs long, which are supposed to be bowled at 15 overs per hour. So there should be 6 hours of play, plus an hour for the lunch and tea intervals. But teams rarely bowl their overs as quickly as they are supposed to.

(This is a complementary response to ad hoc's which is correct)

Comment

How many people stay all six hours? Who has the time?

Comment

Well it's different crowds on different days. There's only 25-35 home Test days a year for England (though that's more than anyone else) and it's quite a special thing to get to see. So people will take a day off work just to go to one.

Comment

Do they sell pies?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                      Do they sell pies?
                                      The food and drink concessions are a huge earner for the host club. There is quite the range of catering, you'll tend to get curry stalls, "gourmet" burgers, burritos, as well as more bog standard burger and chips van. The bars are the big business though, for a lot of people (including me, I'll freely admit) a day at the cricket is a solid day in the sunshine drinking beer and as Kev suggests it tends to be a day (or more) out that people will plan for, with hotel stays etc. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my group has got tickets for the upcoming test at Lord's, and for us that's a 600 mile round trip, three days off work and two nights in a hotel in London, just to attend one day but it's a big deal for us to do it so we're more than happy with the terms.

You can actually take your own food in, and towards the end of the day it's not unusual for people to start sharing stuff they haven't used, with complete strangers, so they don't have to carry it home. There is a complete, or in some ground almost complete (think some places still allow a couple of mini bottles of wine in a picnic basket) ban on bringing your own alcohol. This is primarily to protect the bar sales, but also because back in the day people would march in with entire crates of beer for the day, and chaos would ensue.

There is also a big corporate angle around big matches, with hospitality suites, boxes etc - not quite on the scale of what you'd know from US sports but still a big source of revenue for the host.

Comment

When tickets for the 5th day of the 2005 Ashes at Old Trafford were put on at a first come, first served on the gate basis for £10, I was up at 5am to get to the ground, queueing by 7am and gates were locked at 9am for a 10.30am start. Apparently 10,000 were locked out. I think it was a Monday.

Comment

Geoff Lemon argues for law change.

Just hit the stumps.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ames-pattinson

Can't say I agree.

Freak occurrences, if freak they are, are what makes sport interesting.

Comment

Today should be a fascinating day's cricket. I want England to get a lead of about 100 then get that bugger Smith out early.

Comment

It's not just test matches though. I went to a village match two weeks ago, which was basically 1pm-7pm. It was a Sunday (not only would there be no crowd in a weekday, but there'd be no players at that level). Obviously to attend a professional match on a weekday (whether it be a test match or a county game), you need to take time off work or be retired, but it's still very much possible. When I used to go to school in Cambridge, I'd occasionally bunk off to go and watch Cambridge University playing a county side or the MCC. You could just show up for an hour if you felt like it (and it was free to get in - is it still, does anyone know?)

Comment

I absolutely knew the collapse was just minutes from happening

Comment

How did you know ad hoc?

Bairstow never really seemed like he got going or got his eye in. Moeen is in the middle of a neverending crisis of confidence. That famed England lower order, Stokes aside, has lost the plot in Test cricket, in literal terms.

Comment

That was shocking from Moeen. I mean fair enough you're not expected to be the best batsman in the world but that was the sort of leave that would make you look an idiot if you'd only just been taught how to hold a bat for the first time at a sunday afternoon picnic game in the park.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X