No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the last day may be the one to tune in for...

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
      Australia have 'just' been bowled out and set England 359 to win. You still think: there's no way they'll get that.
      Not so, I remember thinking if we can have two partnerships of around 120, that’ll be the bulk of it done. It didn’t quite pan out in that manner, and it was ignored in the aftermath of the spectacular finale but the Root-Denly partnership of 126 for the third wicket and the Stokes-Bairstow partnership of 86 for the fifth wicket played their parts in providing a platform for Stokes’s heroics. Shout out to Jofra Archer for biffing 15 runs out of a 25 run partnership which got the target down from from 98 to 73 runs.

Comment

But that's always the case isn't it? They're always feasible. But they're exceptionally unusual, and for a reason. Against one of the great Australian attacks, after getting bowled out for 60 odd, there was no way they were likely to get this total. That's why it was so great.

Comment

There's a moment in the game that retrospectively became important - the waste of the first review on an optimistic LBW shout. Or "desperate" as Sir Geoffrey called it.

Comment

Everyone is quite chipper at this point aren't they? On TMS at least if not on OTF (Longeared excepted). It's unlikely, but 200 to get with 7 wickets is doable.

Comment

Fillable scorecard, PDF as of end of play day 3.

Annoyingly the replay isn't starting until 12:30 today.

Comment

I'm still on Day Three. The groundwork they did that day was painstaking.

Comment

It looks pretty good at lunch on day 4, 121 with 6 wickets left. Not sown on but in no way impossible.

Comment

Is the replay exposing some tactical errors by the Australians that weren't clear at the time?

Comment

Not yet. Have you watched The Test? It has footage of the watchthrough the Australian squad did the day after.

Comment

​​​​​​​How do you actually watch this? I go to sky sports cricket you tube channel but can't find the as live coverage. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

I'm just listening to TMS. The sky thing is a watchalong I think.

Butler gone and now it seems really unlikely.

Comment

Yes but what is a watchalong and how do I access it?

Comment

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3gIOyj5bpA

Edit: We crossed over, it the footage with commentary from the players who played.

Comment

Thanks

"This video is not available in your country"

Bugger.

Comment

And my TMS feed is in sync with YouTube.

Comment

https://www.fromthepavilion.org/login.html

Fantasy cricket. There are ten of us in already and most are complete novices with less than a weeks headstart on you.

What better way to while away the time when on lockdown? Honestly, it's better than watching or listening to Ashes reruns.

Comment

This is where it looks like it's over. 9 down now.

Langer really laid into the Australians for allowing England to farm the strike at this point.

Comment

"This is like the early stages of Allan Border and Jeff Thomson's partnership at Melbourne" - Jim Maxwell.

Comment

Fucking hell, can't believe that actually happened even listening now and knowing the evental outcome. Oh well, no matter what happens from here we'll always have that afternoon. Cricketing summer of summers.
                                          Last edited by longeared; 11-04-2020, 17:33.

Comment

I sat in the garden listening to the last hour, knowing the result and still cheered at the end.

Comment

Finished listening today. Fantastic.

When The Ashes comes back, my overwhelming feeling will be relief. I don't think I'd be that bothered by how good the standard is, or who wins.

Comment

Indeed. Sport nostalgia chat has helped keep me going during this lockdown. God I miss last summer.

In fact I'm missing cricket so much that (plug alert) work let me write about an old holiday

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                                  Indeed. Sport nostalgia chat has helped keep me going during this lockdown. God I miss last summer.

In fact I'm missing cricket so much that (plug alert) work let me write about an old holiday
                                                  I read that before and very good (but too short; btl in a similar article Sid Lowe implied he wasn't too happy about having to curtail).

Comment

I wrote 1,000 words initially (including stuff about the atmosphere on that tour more generally, and Hayden's window-smashing hissy-fit). Had to cull loads but thems the rules

Comment

Working...
                                                    X