Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Highest opening partnership of the series is 27. That might go today.
    Can't see that happening (though by the end of the day both sides will have had a crack at it)

Comment

Apart from the deafening chatter in the stands and beered up bantertastic blokes spilling their pints every 15 minutes, yesterday was a very good day at the Test. The England bowlers always carried a threat, and though a man-flu suffering Steve Smith top scored and was at the crease for much of the day, even he didn’t look completely assured. A last ball review let off for England gives them a good chance on building on a good day for us.

Comment

Dare i say it but England look well set today to build a significant lead. Even Joe denly is looking good.

Comment

Yes, i knew I'd jinx it. Burns out for 20. lyon's first wicket since when? Edgbaston?

Comment

Lyon's eighth wicket since Edgbaston so not quite that bad.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...g;view=innings

England made 54 for the opening wicket. OTOH they had an escape last night, probably caused by a slip fielder not picking up the ball in fading light.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 14-09-2019, 11:05.

Comment

Yes, satchmo. I thought i must have misremebered so thanks for correcting me.

think it was Harris who dropped that relatively easy slip catch last night. not a good day for him as he had failed once again with his batting earlier on.

Comment

There'll be a certain symmetry about England tying both the World Cup Final and The Ashes series then getting the trophy for one but not the other.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 14-09-2019, 11:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  Yes, satchmo. I thought i must have misremebered so thanks for correcting me.

think it was Harris who dropped that relatively easy slip catch last night. not a good day for him as he had failed once again with his batting earlier on.
                  Was Harris and he ended up with 7 stitches as a result to really rub salt in to the wound

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                    There'll be a certain symmetry about England tying both the World Cup Final and The Ashes series and getting the trophy for one and not the other.
                    Yes indeed. Or maybe even an asymmetry, if such a word exists.

Root's gone for 21. Lyon again.

Comment

Is this England's first hundred partnership of the series?

Comment

Fourth. Denly and Root in the first innings and Burns and Root at Manchester and Birmingham.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Was Harris and he ended up with 7 stitches as a result to really rub salt in to the wound
                          I've not followed the whole day but it looks like Harris has been off the field for most of it, will he be allowed to open (when Australia finally get England out) given that?

Comment

I think he's allowed to bat in his normal position because the injury was from an external blow rather than an internal injury or illness (which he could have carried into the game).

Comment

England have batted for the whole day twice in this test. I hope this is a sign of progress for this England team. Without wanting to sound to much like Geoffrey Boycott, leave the good balls and wait for the bad delivery, that’s test match cricket.

Comment

Australia 399 to win. Given how cricket has gone this summer, that sounds gettable.

Comment

My prediction is Smith's first failure of the series (he has to some time), and Australia thus out for around 150-180.

(I'm usually terrible at predictions, but just feel Australia are satisfied already at retaining the Ashes, and 400 is a tough ask.)
                                  Last edited by Jimski; 15-09-2019, 10:48.

Comment

Well, Warner made double figures this time.

Comment

Smith needs 224 to beat Bradman's record, I presume that's for most runs in Ashes series.

This partnership is going to determine how close Australia get to that 399.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                        Well, Warner made double figures this time.
                                        It improved his series average.

Comment

Just read that in the first innings here Warner became the first opening batsman in test history (not just Ashes) to score eight single digit scores in a series.

I daresay he'll unashamedly join in the post match celebrations.

Comment

Flipping heck, Smith's out

Comment

Ben Stokes needs to do something this afternoon to cement his place in the hearts and minds of the people who will pick up the phone and vote in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. I'd recommend mooning every departing Australian batsman this afternoon, then rushing over and grabbing the Ashes off the plinth and running away with them during the presentation ceremony.

Comment

I would bet a large sum that you will be the last man in Britain who cares (or even thinks) about that award.

You no longer have that many rivals to see off.

Comment

It is a very pale shadow of the show it once was, it's true.

Comment

Leach on a hat trick in New Zealand then.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X