No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Australia get away with it, it will be because they are by far the better side, but if these were two evenly balanced teams, it would be a crazy decision.

Comment

It really is an odd one. If Lyon's finger is bothering him, an extra day's rest would have helped too.

Comment

It's already looking like a mistake, 50-1 in a little over an hour - the quickest 50 England have managed all series.

Comment

It almost smacks of Australia wanting to test themselves to the limit, given the Ashes can't be lost.

Comment

That doesn't sound like this Australian team or captain though, they seem to know their frailties and are happy to win tests in an unflashy manner.

Comment

It's a very grassy looking day-one pitch mind, and a bit cloudy. Can see the attraction for Paine.

Not sure I'd have dropped Starc for Siddle, though the former was a bit up and down at Old Trafford.

And Root's been dropped by Siddle

Comment

So far, it's another flashback to 1997-2001: Australia fucking up in dead rubbers.

Comment

This really isn't a dead rubber. Yeah, Australia have retained the Ashes, but there's a huge difference between winning and drawing the series. Vastly more than winning 4-0 or 3-1.

Comment

Too early to say they're fucking it up either. Two quick wickets after lunch and they're on top

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                      Too early to say they're fucking it up either. Two quick wickets after lunch and they're on top
                      This. I mean I know why Ray's trying to jinx it, but I'm not sure about the others

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                        Yup, already Vaughan is being unbearable and thanking Tim Paine for putting England in. It's as if he wasn't watched the series.

Comment

Well, the match is still pretty balanced, but if you put a side in and they are 86-1 at lunch then it's not gone to plan. Even 95-3 would be below par for a team that's chosen to bowl.

Comment

I wonder if Australia are trying to ensure Root is still captain in two years time.

Comment

Another drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                Well, the match is still pretty balanced, but if you put a side in and they are 86-1 at lunch then it's not gone to plan. Even 95-3 would be below par for a team that's chosen to bowl.
                                Well exactly, though I think 95-3 would be a good return! Nobody's saying Australia have lost the match in the first morning (or trying to jinx England) but given the fragility of top orders in this series to give England what is probably the most comfortable opening session yet has to be deemed a failure of tactics. A hat trick of drops from Root doesn't help either.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-09-2019, 13:05.

Comment

Another decent knock from Burns. Hopefully that's one of the openers' slots filled for the foreseeable future.

Surrey are missing him, mind you.

Comment

The collapse is on.

Comment

...and off...and on again.

Comment

Australia are only going to have to bat once, aren't they.

Comment

3-1 it is then. 2010-11 in reverse

Comment

England should declare now and knock over the Aussie openers before the end of play.

Comment

I’m off to this in the morning (£105 for a ticket, ffs!). Looks likely we could be watching Smith bat nearly all day, but I’m hopeful we’ll see him get a duck instead and ruin his series average.

Comment

He could get a pair in this test and still average 95.9 for the series.

Comment

All out for 294. Marsh finishes with 5 wickets. Utter wankers.

Comment

Mitch Marsh getting his five-fer was very sweet.

Edit ; ah, cross-post with RobW - clearly conflicting sentiments too!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X