Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George C.
    replied
    What Satchmo said, plus an over reliance on foreign players.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    While I thought Satchmo saying England were in "crisis" was a massive exaggeration but I think you've gone too far the other way.

Joe Denly is 33 so can hardly be described as an opener who is "coming good and will get better with experience". He's a stopgap, a very useful one, but not a long term answer.

Root isn't settled at three at all and won't be batting there very much more I'd imagine, there will be more experimentation in that role.

I'm amazed you think you can "probably cope without Broad" when he has had one of the, maybe the, best series of his career. Woakes hasn't been trusted very much at all this series and Overton was turfed out after one test. Getting Archer was a massive stroke of luck but you're going to be relying on him heavily, though I agree Curran deserves a proper run in your side.

If "the problem is 4,5,6,7" then that's a pretty major one as it's the engine room of your batting. You need new players or for the ones who are there to find form incredibly quickly.

I think England are in a decent place for a side that hasn't had a plan for test cricket for the last 3/4 years with a few players they can build a side around but the new coach has an awful lot of work to do.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I share Rogin's interest in the award but in the spirit that it's an anachronism like the Queen's Speech and Black Rod. I'd be very surprised if Stokes has thought about the award.

2-2 is flattering to England but also a warning to Australia that they are still not quite good enough yet to be challenging for No. 1: batting is awful bar two players; the fielding errors cost them the series win; Paine seems to be a good manager of players but makes basic errors with the toss and reviews. Langer clearly was unhappy with the loss of intensity in this Test and the Headingley fuck up.

I suspect England will lose in NZ and South Africa and their crisis will deepen, unless the new coach is really tough.
    See, I'm weirdly optimistic now. We knew before the Ashes that England are a team in transition but I reckon we've finished the series a stronger team than we started it.

We've tried the Roy experiment so can leave that alone now - the openers we've landed on are coming good and will get better with experience.

Root has finally accepted the golden rule: best batter at three, and that's you whether you like it or not.

We can manage without Anderson and we can probably cope without Broad too. Archer, Woakes, Curran, Overton - that's the pace pack for the foreseeable with Stokes chipping in if required/able.

Leach looks the business and adds resilience to the tail.

The problem is 4,5,6,7. Who plays and where. Stokes is obviously somewhere in there but what about the other three? Does Foakes come in to free Bairstow of the gloves?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    First Ashes to finish drawn since June 1972 so the first one to be drawn in my lifetime. Surprising to learn that itís not drawn more often.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Love those field placings

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    I don't suppose there are many of you here who remember when Underwood did his magic:

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I would bet a large sum that you will be the last man in Britain who cares (or even thinks) about that award.

You no longer have that many rivals to see off.
    I share Rogin's interest in the award but in the spirit that it's an anachronism like the Queen's Speech and Black Rod. I'd be very surprised if Stokes has thought about the award.

2-2 is flattering to England but also a warning to Australia that they are still not quite good enough yet to be challenging for No. 1: batting is awful bar two players; the fielding errors cost them the series win; Paine seems to be a good manager of players but makes basic errors with the toss and reviews. Langer clearly was unhappy with the loss of intensity in this Test and the Headingley fuck up.

I suspect England will lose in NZ and South Africa and their crisis will deepen, unless the new coach is really tough.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-09-2019, 18:10.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Leach on a hat trick in New Zealand then.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    It is a very pale shadow of the show it once was, it's true.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I would bet a large sum that you will be the last man in Britain who cares (or even thinks) about that award.

You no longer have that many rivals to see off.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Ben Stokes needs to do something this afternoon to cement his place in the hearts and minds of the people who will pick up the phone and vote in the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. I'd recommend mooning every departing Australian batsman this afternoon, then rushing over and grabbing the Ashes off the plinth and running away with them during the presentation ceremony.

Leave a comment:

• Vicarious Thrillseeker
    replied
    Flipping heck, Smith's out

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Just read that in the first innings here Warner became the first opening batsman in test history (not just Ashes) to score eight single digit scores in a series.

I daresay he'll unashamedly join in the post match celebrations.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Well, Warner made double figures this time.
    It improved his series average.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Smith needs 224 to beat Bradman's record, I presume that's for most runs in Ashes series.

This partnership is going to determine how close Australia get to that 399.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Well, Warner made double figures this time.

Leave a comment:

• Jimski
    replied
    My prediction is Smith's first failure of the series (he has to some time), and Australia thus out for around 150-180.

(I'm usually terrible at predictions, but just feel Australia are satisfied already at retaining the Ashes, and 400 is a tough ask.)
    Last edited by Jimski; 15-09-2019, 10:48.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Australia 399 to win. Given how cricket has gone this summer, that sounds gettable.

Leave a comment:

• Favourite Worst Nightmare
    replied
    England have batted for the whole day twice in this test. I hope this is a sign of progress for this England team. Without wanting to sound to much like Geoffrey Boycott, leave the good balls and wait for the bad delivery, thatís test match cricket.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I think he's allowed to bat in his normal position because the injury was from an external blow rather than an internal injury or illness (which he could have carried into the game).

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Was Harris and he ended up with 7 stitches as a result to really rub salt in to the wound
    I've not followed the whole day but it looks like Harris has been off the field for most of it, will he be allowed to open (when Australia finally get England out) given that?

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Fourth. Denly and Root in the first innings and Burns and Root at Manchester and Birmingham.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Is this England's first hundred partnership of the series?

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    There'll be a certain symmetry about England tying both the World Cup Final and The Ashes series and getting the trophy for one and not the other.
    Yes indeed. Or maybe even an asymmetry, if such a word exists.

Root's gone for 21. Lyon again.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon View Post
    Yes, satchmo. I thought i must have misremebered so thanks for correcting me.

think it was Harris who dropped that relatively easy slip catch last night. not a good day for him as he had failed once again with his batting earlier on.
    Was Harris and he ended up with 7 stitches as a result to really rub salt in to the wound

Leave a comment:

Working...
X