No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In England the shine will stay on the new ball longer due to lush outfields.

Comment

Jason Roy's graceful exit: "Fuck off!"

https://twitter.com/nickrog83/status...47000452857856

...a phrase which all England fans would repeat back to him.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 24-08-2019, 13:05.

Comment

If only they'd picked a proper Englishman, they might do a little better.

Comment

Ben Foakes is a proper wicketkeeper. Bairstow and Buttler will never be wicketkeepers, they just don't have the skill set and there's no sign of them attaining that skill set any time soon.

Comment

I'm sympathetic to that point of view. But does that matter as much as it used to? It's very rare indeed to have a keeper standing up to medium pacers these days. Pitches are probably a bit less unpredictable. Bairstow's catching has generally seemed pretty good to me for the past year or so, and he's not costing as many runs as his used to. That said, Foakes is probably a better batter at the moment.

Comment

So if Foakes is a better batter and a better keeper....

Comment

So, England need 203 to win and have seven wickets in hand. It's doable, isn't it? If root can stay in and someone else gets a big score. i have day 4 tickets so am keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

I think they have maybe a 1 in 5 chance but they have to get through the 2nd new ball before it becomes more than that.

Comment

Root always gets out early in the morning after he's got in the day before. Always. I'll be stunned if he's not out by the 6th over this morning.

Comment

Yes, I can still see Australia winning by at least 100 runs.

Comment

I'd put England's chances at about 1 in 10, reliant on Stokes and Root digging in again this morning and edging the deficit to under 100, but even then I can see the rest just folding, unless they also dig in rather than go straight for their T20/ODI repertoire.

At least yesterday was a reminder that test cricket is about not losing your wicket, not scoring runs. It's meant to be boring.

Comment

They've definitely got a chance - they don't have to rush the scoring, it'll be hot, it's still only a fourth day wicket and in any case the Headingley Test pitch has had a modern tendency to flatten out as the game goes on. In the West Indies Test a couple of years back England were three down at the start of the fourth day and put another 319 runs on before the declaration - so there is some recent precedent there for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            So, England need 203 to win and have seven wickets in hand. It's doable, isn't it? If root can stay in and someone else gets a big score. i have day 4 tickets so am keeping my fingers crossed.
                            Er, today is day four!

Comment

I think the stats show that around four per cent of chases over 300 are successful. They've made some decent headway already, so I'd put it about a ten per cent chance of winning, like jwd. But England are SO BAD at starting again the next morning that I can't see it.
                              Last edited by diggedy derek; 25-08-2019, 10:19.

Comment

Lyon to Root, OUT, down the track, gone!

JE Root c Warner b Lyon 77 (205b 7x4 0x6) SR: 37.56

To be fair, the Aussies earned that by not giving any runs away in the first 20 mins; piling on pressure; but Root should be good enough to just give the first hour and half to the bowlers and wait it out.
                                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 10:30.

Comment

I really (really) hate to say I told you so

Comment

You're right in part, but credit to the Australians giving them absolutely nothing in the first four overs to force the indecision.

Comment

They probably need Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler to get around 180 between them, which seems unlikely based on form and technique.

Comment

I'm about to take a real interest in this, so stand by for the collapse. Followed by the recovery and the hope, and ... OK, you all know how it goes.

Comment

Lunch break: 121 needed. It all depends on the middle order staying in all the way through, otherwise it will be a cliffhanger.

Comment

This is good.

Comment

It's nervewracking and I can only follow via websites (stream, anyone: pm if you can?)

Comment

There's usually a (legal) live stream of TMS through you tube (audio only) but for reasons I've never understood they make it really really hard to find. It's basically ungoogleable.

Comment

I can find archived streams of full days of TMS on Youtube but not live for today.

I think I prefer the Cricinfo approach anyway TBH, then highlights next day on Youtube.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 25-08-2019, 13:02.

Comment

The Guardian OBO often provides a link to TMS at the start of the day.

Run-out, Buttler gone. Credit to Australia, they're making this already difficult task as difficult as possible.
                                                    Last edited by diggedy derek; 25-08-2019, 13:17.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X