No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He probably bowled better in his first spells in both innings at Lord's, but he still did more than enough today to show he's about more than raw pace. Good, smart lateral movement too.

A weird day though, because for a little while after tea England were an utter shambles and memories of Headingley 89/93/97 were flooding back

Comment

Just seen the highlights and Archer was impressive.

Good to see Stokes bringing the beamer out for a vital wicket - a major part of any seamer's skill set I always thought.

Comment

Maybe I'm over-sensitive to these things, but McGrath's use of the word "natural" seems dodgy here, as if Archer somehow hasn't had to work so hard at his craft as a white bowler does:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49394739

Dennis Lillee had a beautiful flowing action but "natural" was not used about him AFAIK.
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 22-08-2019, 19:40.

Comment

I tend to hear the word as a compliment, suggesting that a sportsperson's skill is innate rather than the result of endless practice and effort. I think that the former tend to be more highly regarded, possibly because their performances seem, I don't know, smoother. More graceful.

Comment

I think with cricket it's more describing a player who makes it look easy - Root himself spoke about Archer's "natural pace" at the weekend, i.e. he generates extreme pace without looking like he's straining every sinew.

I saw his interview on the highlights, in which he seemed to confirm that, as commentators suggested, Root was nearly guilty of over-bowling him: "I was blowing a bit".

But he also contradicted Boycott and others' protests that he was bowling from the wrong end for much of the day - uphill from the football ground end* - saying that the uphill incline was similar to his favoured Sussex end. It certainly didn't do Darren Gough much harm when I used to watch him (and when I presume he had first choice). Indeed bowling at an end which cuts down your pace probably helps to focus on control and seam movement. Boycott in gobshite shock etc.

* It's now the Emerald stand end, although the football (rugby) ground is still there, and the other end is the Pavilion end, even though Kirkstall Lane is still there (although it should always have been the Cardigan Road end)

Comment

Good points, NS and jwdd.

Comment

My reaction against "natural" in cricket is not for race reasons. It normally seems associated with Gentleman Players, the true amateurs, with the implication that the moneyed aristocrats of the game had a natural talent whereas the professionals who had to get paid and had to work weren't as innately skilled and had to slog away to be the equal of, say, Douglas Jardine (or, later, it was always David Gower). It's an old school class thing.

So, when I hear it said about someone with Jofra Archer's background it really doesn't bother me at all.

Comment

Archer though, another plastic 'Englishman'. FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                    He probably bowled better in his first spells in both innings at Lord's, but he still did more than enough today to show he's about more than raw pace. Good, smart lateral movement too.
                    Archer himself thinks he's at his best in English conditions; in December 2017 he cited it as a reason for choosing England.

"I think the conditions over here suit me a lot more than anywhere else. I feel I would be better suited for a longer career in England"

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...ay-for-england

Regarding the dogwhistling about his Englishness, Archer is a British citizen. The ECB's eligibility rules are in line with those of the ICC, having originally been much stricter (7 years v 3 years). See Article 2:

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazon...-Nov-2017-.pdf.

Archer's dad was born in Catford and Jofra visited him in London every summer from the age of 8. Jofra's dad says "The plan was always for him to live here [in England]"

https://www.pressreader.com/barbados...81642486772673

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 23-08-2019, 01:51.

Comment

All fine and dandy, but what about the effect on Barbadian/West Indies cricket?

How do lesser nations improve if England, with hundreds of professionals to choose from, poach all their best players?

Comment

Two down already. There will be rich irony if England discover the bowler of a lifetime in this series, and lose the series because they still haven't fixed the main problem, their batting line-up.

Roots decline is extraordinary.

Comment

England appear to have decided to show Australia how to collapse properly...

Comment

Cook is surprisingly good on TMS, especially considering how torturously stilted he was in interviews as a player.

Sure some would still like him out there playing, mind.

Comment

Dare I ask what the average is for England's opening partnership is for the series so far? Actually, I'll work it out for myself.

I make it 12.

Tut.

Cook coming out of retirement would genuinely swing the Ashes England's way.

Comment

Cook's great on TMS, humble, relaxed, honest.

Mitchell Johnson has a beautiful voice.

Comment

England's use of all-rounders resembles the Soviet authorities's use of bio-robots (ie people) to clear up the radioactive chaos at Chernobyl, putting them into the firing line for a short time until they become exposed, dazed and confused, and get put out to pasture

Comment

Robot literally means enslaved labourer, the way some of them are batting looks like they'd rather be back in their cells.

Comment

Related news, wow, Haseeb Hameed is being let go by Lancashire. Let's hope he can find somewhere good.

Comment

I thought this was meant to be a decent day for batting and it was a huge advantage for England. Not looking like that at the moment.

Comment

Looking at the Cricinfo commentary, although Australia are bowling beautifully, the wickets have all been self-inflicted from poor technique or bad shot choice. Is that the case?

The focus on 50 overs seems to have disabled England as a Test batting unit, in the current generation.

Comment

45-6. Australia retain the Ashes if/when they win this game.

Comment

Root was got out - the other three gave it away

Oh bugger, there goes another one.

Comment

Haseeb Hameed to be released by Lancashire at the end of the season. He's only 22. I still cannot believe how much has changed as he really looked like being an England opener for 15 years.

Comment

Dreadful shots most of the six, but the bowling is strong. It’s good to see Pattinson doing so well, he’s an absolute unit.

Comment

I had a chance to properly watch Stokes's dismissal on my lunch break, and it's just tragic. How can such a good batsman play such an awful shot?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X