Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longeared
    replied
    Laughed at Sir Geoffrey claiming just now "we always had to try and win when I was at Yorkshire"

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    I can't now see Australia declaring today, whereas at lunch I'd have put money on it
    But now it's switched again and a declaration looks inevitable at around 375 ahead.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    This entire series has been bad news wrapped up in good news, but I suppose that's always the case when you're the inferior side, if only slightly.
    I would put it at more than slightly but less than hugely. The difference between these sides is Smith plus Australia having four good bowlers versus England's three (one of whom can't bowl right now due to a shoulder issue). That's two players difference but both are match-winners (Smith plus any one of the bowlers).

Clearly Australia would have won at Headingley with Smith.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Love the little shake of the hand gesture that Warner gave after Broad trapped him: "Please, please don't raise your finger. Show some metcy for God's sake".

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Why didn’t Australia follow-on? To rest their bowlers?
    Yes. The next Test is only 3 days after this one. They would also be wary of batting 4th on a deteriorating pitch.

I think Australia probably already have enough already here but I also said that last time, so....they'll want to get past a 375 lead at least.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-09-2019, 15:57.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    Broad's complete ownership of Warner matches Stokes's heroics in Leeds as the English high point of the series. Neither will be enough, sadly.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Why didn’t Australia follow-on? To rest their bowlers?

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    I can't now see Australia declaring today, whereas at lunch I'd have put money on it, so England will probably only bat tonight if they bowl Aus out. If they don't bowl Aus out, tomorrow might be similar scenario to 5th day the 1st Test, with England having to bat all day to save it (starting on 13-0 chasing 398). If they do bowl Aus out and chase less than 350 then it becomes a case of do they go for it or not?

Technically we still have 140 overs left in the game but light will be a big factor after 6pm, and Aus can slow down the over rate to 12 an hour if England look like they could chase it down.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 07-09-2019, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    This entire series has been bad news wrapped up in good news, but I suppose that's always the case when you're the inferior side, if only slightly.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    This is lovely and everything but it demonstrates how hard a task England will have to survive tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Ooooooo - Archer's got Marnus.

Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I always mixed feelings when England skittle the Aussie openers knowing that merely heralds Smith's entrance.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    And ms ursus' cousin, though I might have only mentioned that when you weren't following cricket threads
    Wow. Small world.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    As someone who strongly dislikes both Broad and Warner, this is genuinely funny

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Well they'd probably only have to bat four sessions. And the Aussie bowlers would have bowled for 3 straight days, with a 4 man attack, with the final test starting in 3 days. I'd consider the follow on, but it's not a gimme.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    England have got to get to the follow on yet. I can't imagine why Australia would refuse it. No chance of England batting through another five sessions for the draw.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Tire out and possibly demoralise England's bowlers with the next test only a few days break away.

That's about the follow on.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Should Australia enforce the follow-on if they can or spend a session bashing out quick runs before declaring?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And ms ursus' cousin, though I might have only mentioned that when you weren't following cricket threads

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Married to Alyssa Healy, you know.

That’s all I know, really.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Starc strikes. Lighting doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Roy's gone now. Great session from Australia.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Snap!

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Root also gone. Had seemed to be ropy after getting one on the exposed part of the knee. Partially Cummins' wicket, as was Burns, as Cummins had the spell that turned the game from fairly comfortable to really tough for the batsmen.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Root goes, these two wickets for Hazlewood feel like they've been earned by Cummings's remorseless spell.

That was a tough innings from Root, never properly in but he stuck it out as best he could.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X