Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    All done. Australia deservedly retain the Ashes and have been the better side by a significant distance in the series.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Earliest bad light finish in the Test so far was 6.42pm IIRC.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 16:44.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    There's 83 overs then the final hour with a minimum 15 overs, although light might be an issue. They've already been off for bad light in this match so there is a benchmark reading for the umpires.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Stuart Broad seems a decent bloke off the field; twattish on it, certainly, but not as bad as his dad was (Chris Broad was the stroppiest, most entitled fucker I have seen in an England shirt except maybe Boycott).

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Broad relegated to eleven so Somerset pair Overton and Leach are currently batting.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    What time is the cut off?

Six, six-thirty?

Or a.n. other?
    7pm is official close but, given this is the last day, I believe they play until the 98 overs are used up unless the light goes sooner (which is likely given we are 8 days into September).
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 08-09-2019, 16:28.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    They came off at nearly seven last night, i think. Last day of the test so all remaining overs can be bowled.
    Last edited by Jon; 08-09-2019, 16:27.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    I suppose it depends how you read it. I'd say Bairstow has done worse at fulfilling the role of a number six batsman than Buttler has done at fulfilling the more bizarre role of a batting number seven. So yeah, perhaps that makes sense. There's also more obvious technical issues with Bairstow. But the whole Buttler thing has, in general, been a reckless selection, because the batting order makes so little sense now.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    What time is the cut off?

Six, six-thirty?

Or a.n. other?

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Yeah Foakes should come in at the Oval, home ground and that. I'd keep Buttler and rest Bairstow. Buttler was doing Ok there

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Yeah, that may have counted against him ever being talked about as a serious captaincy candidate, which his cricket brain deserves. Him and Cummins would make good captains both. It would never happen of course. I can't even think of the last international Test captain who was primarily a bowler.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
    Hanging grimly on.

Why the dislike of Broad, UA, out of curiosity? Sorry if we've done that before.
    He just has a way of embodying privileged twatdom to me. It isn't particularly rational, but this kind of dislike rarely is.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    And Archer.

England, wise, they should definitely jettison Roy, and also Bairstow and Buttler. I'd keep Denley in in case he makes a great case for himself at the Oval. So I'd keep Root as captain, partly as there are no other obvious batsmen to do it, but give him a substantially new team.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Buttler goes.

You'd expect them to stick with this Rolls Royce bowling unit for the final Test, they've been great.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Disclaimer.

England et al deserve the right to hang on, despite being outplayed again.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Hanging grimly on.

Why the dislike of Broad, UA, out of curiosity? Sorry if we've done that before.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    95% now, with only YJB and Buttler protecting the tail.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    They've removed the only three English batsmen who have shown an ability to stick around, so I think it is 90% probable.

Leave a comment:

• George C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

I would put it at more than slightly but less than hugely. The difference between these sides is Smith plus Australia having four good bowlers versus England's three (one of whom can't bowl right now due to a shoulder issue). That's two players difference but both are match-winners (Smith plus any one of the bowlers).

Clearly Australia would have won at Headingley with Smith.
    This. Let's hope they do it today.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Next England captain maybe, although that didn't work with Botham and Flintoff.

Cummins has been sensational: 4-23 when the other three bowlers have gone wicketless. Add that to his spell that set up the collapse on Friday and he's pushing Smith for MOTM and Hazlewood for bowler of the series.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    Does Stokes walking make him nailed on for SPOTY?

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    It's OK, Stokes is in next drop.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    This is lovely and everything but it demonstrates how hard a task England will have to survive tomorrow.
    Or even tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    England are 0-2

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Before he became captain, maybe, certainly not during his captaincy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X