No announcement yet.

Brussels sprouts a new winner? Tour de France 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant ride from Alaphilippe there and that'll give him the yellow jersey.

Comment

Ah, that was brilliant. First bit I've watched live this Tour and very exciting.
      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-07-2019, 15:04.

Comment

Best bit so far by a mile

Comment

Yay. I enjoy watching Alaphilippe riding. I'm also always happy when the French start winning stages (and yellow jerseys) early.

Comment

Excellent stuff. I don't think you'd back against him in any punchy type finish this year.

Comment

Really enjoyed that stage.

The developing results sheet has Pinot and Bernal gaining five seconds on all the other contenders thanks to that split on the line.

Comment

Geraint isn't going to have it in him this year, is he?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Geraint isn't going to have it in him this year, is he?
                  After last year I shan't write him off quickly, but his team-mate is the last person he needs to be losing time to, even a handful of seconds.

Comment

He laid the foundations of his win last year by gaining small chunks of time over Froome in the opening week, so he'll know about the potential implications of conceding that time.

That said, he was still the third GC rider to cross the line with only Pinot and Bernal ahead. Movistar's highest finisher today was Landa in 29th.

Comment

Yeah, that was by no means a disaster for Thomas. It just gives Bernal even more momentum which, as the Tour de Suisse winner, he already had rather a lot of.

Not a lot going on today at the moment except to note that the guy doing the live text updates for CyclingNews keeps referring to QuckStep. Old habits die hard but you'd expect a website dedicated to one sport to be able to get the lead sponsor of a franchise right...

Also I love saying 'Deceuninck'.

Comment

It's CyclingNews, so, no, I wouldn't. The most exciting thing to happen was two blokes jumping into a paddling pool.

Think Groenewegen will struggle with that last climb today - he was one of the first to be dropped yesterday and looks to be still struggling from the crash on the first day. They had a finish in Nancy in 2014 and used this climb followed by another 4th cat that isn't in use today. That was all hard enough for all the pure sprinters to be dropped (some of them lost 12 minutes) and Trentin won on that occasion.

Comment

OTF présent a Bar-le-Duc!

Comment

Sunweb put the pressure on up the climb but they haven't detached Groenewegen.

Comment

Can I ask a dumb question - the race radios allow communication between individual riders on a team and between riders and the team car, yes? Would they allow communication with someone in a central base watching TV pictures too?

Comment

Team cars contain small screen TVs, although the quality of the picture can vary depending on geography. They wouldn't be able to contact a central location on the radio - they have a frequency over too short a range. Riders disappear out of network in mountain stages - you occasionally see pictures of riders in the gruppetto with their earpieces out as they're no longer in broadcast range. There's nothing to stop the team car phoning someone watching the pictures on the team bus / at the team headquarters.

Comment

And riders have mics so they can communicate to each other/back to the team car?

Comment

Two-way radios, yes.

Comment

Great, I thought that's how it worked but wasn't sure. Thanks both.

Comment

Cool - my old neighbourhood today, when we lived in the Vallée de Munster when the kids were wee.
                                        last time I climbed the Cinq Chateaux was on a VTT!
                                        forgot how good the cycling is down there - Ballons tomorrow!

Comment

I've only had half an eye on it, what with the cricket, Brucexit and the phone ringing a lot, but it does look a very nice area.

Sunweb are towing what's left of the peloton to a reduced group sprint.

Comment

Rui Costa on the charge

Comment

Caught. This is going to be an interesting sprint.

Comment

Today was a Peter Sagan day.

Comment

He's just so good, isn't he.

Comment

He went off like a bloody rocket there.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X