Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Alaphilippe is also a home rider in an event where France have not had a genuine contender since Virenque. Of course he's going to get the crowd support and others will get it's wrath in order to support Alaphilippe more.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    In addition, the treatment he received last time followed very public positive test coverage and “will he/won’t he be allowed to ride?” stories for months

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Maybe, but Alaphilippe plugged away on the wheel of the other GC contenders today and never had to do any work in front. It's not particularly inconsistent with his other riding. The days the French spectators wondered about Froome he actually accelerated away on the last couple of kms of big hills, away from people who were meant to be star climbers, who'd reserved their energy on TT days. Froome's mountain stage wins felt substantially more remarkable to me.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    I'm not sure Rogin's questions are about whether or not Alaphilippe is clean - isn't it more the contrast with how he and Froome (and Thomas) are treated?
    Yes, this.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    I'm not sure Rogin's questions are about whether or not Alaphilippe is clean - isn't it more the contrast with how he and Froome (and Thomas) are treated?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    That's what I'd have thought, except he didn't, as Rogin says, leave all the other GC contenders for dead on the big climb of the day. He never took the lead once - all the grinding at the front was done by other GC contenders and their teams.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    SB - Quite clearly at Allaphilipe I would have thought. Pinot was a name on every list heading into this.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I've just watched my recording of this stage (after my very weak ride this morning). That was some pure Movistar gold. I love that the US commentators kept saying "This is great riding from Movistar, but I'm not sure what their goal is" - it was apparent to everyone that their tactics made no sense, yet for some reason they persisted. Great stage. Very pleased for Pinot in particular.

Are Rogin's "questions" about Allaphilipe or Pinot?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    You are never going to hear such questions on France Télévisions, and will only read them in l'Equipe if another major outlet goes there first, but they certainly exist on Francophone cycling Twitter and in fora, with many making the exact same point about the treatment of Froome.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Movistar dropping their own leader is absolute Peak Movistar.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles, Rogin.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin S
    replied
    It needs saying tbf. Especially as, according to George Bennett, there were people booing Thomas from the side of the road today.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    There'll be not a murmur from the French press and fans that a French rider who's ridden like Steve Austin on a time trial one day can then leave all the other main GC contenders for dead on the tour's highest climb the day after. Not a single one. I'm not casting any aspersions (as I said above I'd love the spectacle of a French winner at last) but they threw piss over Froome for this kind of effort.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 20-07-2019, 17:55.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Oh, Romain.

Leave a comment:

• VTTBoscombe
    replied
    Didi the devil is being pimped out at l’Etape du Tour in Albertville this weekend by Prudhomme.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    I can't see why not, there's still a week to go and team fracking are going to attack him at every opportunity,but he set down a big marker today.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Brilliant ride by Alaphillipe.
    Can he win it?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    What happened to the devil spectator?
    Didi only makes paid appearances now

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Well done Alaphilippe and Pinot. Never mind, Geraint - we'll always have 2019.

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Brilliant ride by Alaphillipe.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    What happened to the devil spectator?

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Indeed

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Alaphilippe looks surprisingly comfortable as more fancied riders are losing touch

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Movistar cleverly destroy Quintana. Oh, wait

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The Giro Rosa has live on line coverage and the organizers of the new Nordic Tour are committed to at least that.

Purportedly a major obstacle to doing that with the Tour of Britain is your relatively poor 4G infrastructure, but the ASO obviously doesn't have that excuse (not to mention their policy of benign neglect with regard to other women's races).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X