Wear any colour you want, as long as it’s predominantly white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Thanks Janik, I was wondering if there was any chance of seeing Serena/Murray there and was going to ask about it but convinced myself I was reaching. Fingers crossed and thanks for the overview in general, looking forward to a good day.
    No, you are not reaching. There is genuine hope. But I don't want to oversell it. It is very circumstances dependent, and a 1 in 3 chance at best as Centre/#1 will be prioritised over #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post

My bold. He has admitted trying to hurt Nadal today by drilling him with the ball. If the guy was a showman it would be fine. But this isn't an act. He actually is a genuine pillock.

I know he is a pillock and an arsehole but i like him anyway. When i play at fives i hate those types of whiny, berating the ref for the whole match, the World is against me types but as it doesn't affect me, i enjoy watching Kyrgios put himself, the umpire and his opponent through mental torture. That match was electric and it is because he was engaged in the battle.

If it was Tennys Sandgren at the net i would happily watch Kyrgios smash him with every passing shot and hopefully a few would ping off his bollocks for good measure.

Comment

When was the last Wimbledon where there wasn't seed carnage? It seems to be a feature of this surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          This is not a day where a lot of matches stand out as particularly worthy. So we get the inclusion of what Jimski predicts will be an utter serve fest. I think that slightly undersells Milos Raonic, who could get into Reilly Opelka’s service games a decent amount. If he doesn’t, expect tie-breaks galore. And the reason for including it, if these are shared 2-2 we may get out first 12-all in the fifth decider in this match.
          Huh. Not even close. First set was a break, but having won that Raonic then ran all over Opelka 6-2 6-1 in the next two. All done in 102 minutes. Opelka only won 58% of the points behind his first serve, and that despite bashing down 13 aces. The stats don't give a count for unreturned serves that the player gets a racquet to so are not aces. However, one would expect at least as many of these as aces, if not more. Raonic must have won pretty well every single point where he got the return into play.

On the Women's side, Ray has seen a shock already, Zhang beating Wozniacki. That means at least one non-seed in the QFs, either Zhang or the winner of Yastremska-/Golubic. And if Halep doesn't make the Semis one there also, Simo's opponents and potential future matches being Azarenka, Hercog/Gauff, Zhang/Yastremska/Golubic.
          Last edited by Janik; 05-07-2019, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
            You could have been asking that for 15 years.
            True, but it's apparently something that officials have recently been particularly advised to clamp down on.

Comment

Currently watching Medvedev-Goffin on iplayer and it's a terrific match.

Comment

I'm liking Ray's chances of seeing Serena/Murray at the moment. Two and three-quarter sets left of play on Court 2 at most (Medvedev-Goffin being a set all and early in the third), at least three on Centre and a break between matches (Halep has just won set one against Azarenka, Gauff-Hercog yet to start) and a minimum of four and a half on Court 1 and a bit of dead time as well (Djokovic leads Hurkacz by a set and 3-3, Auger-Aliassime vs Humbert to follow).

Comment

Hopefully they'll stick Murray/Williams on BBC2, last night's doubles was most enjoyable, especially as both Murray and the Romanian chap had seemingly been paired with French exchange students.

Comment

I don't know who the co-commentators are for the Medvedev - Goffin match but they are very good and adding to my enjoyment of what is a very entertaining match.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                      Hopefully they'll stick Murray/Williams on BBC2, last night's doubles was most enjoyable, especially as both Murray and the Romanian chap had seemingly been paired with French exchange students.
                      Well, that depends. If Djokovic is in as much of a scrap with Hurkacz as the scores so far suggest (one set all, 7-5 6-75), then that is going to take precedence.

Serena/Murray Court prediction - still marginally #2. However Halep smashing Azarenka (3&1) has opened Centre back up as a possibility. If Gauff rattles past Hercog (or, I suppose, the opposite though that is unlikely) then that will be the stage. Particularly if Goffin-Medvedev goes to five, as it is currently on course for (Medvedev 2-1 up but a break down in Set 4).

Comment

Christ almighty.

Kyrgios comes across as a right sulky twat, doesn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                          I don't know who the co-commentators are for the Medvedev - Goffin match but they are very good and adding to my enjoyment of what is a very entertaining match.
                          If it's not changed, the commentator is Roland McIntosh. His first ever match commentating for the BBC was famously Isner-Mahut. That Isner-Mahut. His co-commentator/expert summariser was Mark Cox on day 1 of that. This may be Cox again. Not sure. But it's definitely McIntosh on the main mic.

Comment

Goffin breaks for 6-5 and will serve for the match. Meanwhile CoCo Gauff is on the brink of elimination against Hercog (set and 5-2 down).

Comment

Goffin, break point down, hits two huge net cords and both clamber over. Meanwhile Gauff saves a match point and asks Hercog to serve it out.
                              Last edited by Janik; 05-07-2019, 17:39.

Comment

Goffin gets over the line with a screaming backhand down the line. And over to Gauff where an ace puts Hercog 40-30 up...
                                Last edited by Janik; 05-07-2019, 17:52.

Comment

Followed by a double fault!

Comment

Hercog is very tight here.

Comment

Coco breaks back. Gripping stuff

Comment

Gauff breaks. And on such wasted opportunities matches can easily change.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                                          Coco breaks back. Gripping stuff
                                          The few rallies I've seen there was some outstanding defence from Gauff. But really it was more about Hercog missing. We focus on the youngster, but R4 of a slam and a match on Centre Court is a huge deal for her as well.

Comment

Gauff is the favourite to win this now (it's 5-all).

Comment

OK, Hercog holds. However, she is now a game away again. Let's see if she can play her shots properly when she gets to the brink.

Comment

A sitter smash goes long on the first point. Question answered. It don't see a way Hercog wins match point. Gauff could lose it, though...

Comment

This is hard to watch from Hercog. She is begging Gauff to please, please gift me the match. Not going to happen. She has to win it.

Comment

Hercog at 5-3 in the breaker plays another massively tentative rally. I'm surprised she didn't double fault. Now 5-5...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X