Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jason voorhees
    replied
    What's fascinating to me is how I figured Jimmie Butler was in his 3rd or 4th year, not his Friggin' TENTH.

Like with Kawhi Leonard, it's interesting seeing this really late peaking superstars of late.

Leave a comment:

• danielmak
    replied
    I feel like I have been posting this a lot across different threads, but what HP says mirrors my thinking. In this instance, I did not watch a current** NBA game since 1993 when a Bulls-Suns game took about 35 minutes to finish the last 5 minutes because of timeouts and TV timeouts. I was done. But the shutdown of most football leagues in Europe and South America followed by a reconfiguration of how games were televised (e.g., about 2 games per day for league play followed by CL matches on their own multiple times per week versus mid-week during league play) freed up some viewing time for me.

With that pre-amble, I'd say that the big tipping point for me between winning and losing games is an over-reliance on three-pointers. The Clippers got dumped by the Nuggest in part because the Clippers relied over and over again on three pointers when they were either ahead or not down by much. The Lakers came back tonight because LeBron was going to win the game on his own and he did that by going for high percentage two-point shots. But every other Laker except Davis, who was hobbled, seemed obsessed with shooting the three. I could be naive in my observation since I don't watch the sport anymore, but roll with the three when you're hot and go for the better percentage shot when you're cold.

**I did watch a lot of NBA Classics during COVID because a friend in Brazil asked me to record and send him Jordan games. And as a Laker fan growing up, I got to re-live some Lakers-Celtics and Lakers-Pistons games. The re-broadcasts with former players from these teams talking to each other amidst the replays were especially interesting and probably also contributed to me desire to watch games when NBA returned to finish this season.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Classic game marred by a boneheaded play from Markieff Morris. I feel like throwing up

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I haven't watched a second of the NBA playoffs, but I hope the Lakers can win and propel Lebron to the White House in a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Lakers looked like ass for most of Game 3 and still weren't ever really out of it. Jimmy Butler had an all-time great finals game (first player ever to outscore, out-assist, and out-rebound LeBron in a finals game). It would seem unlikely that he would both be that great again and that LeBron and Davis were both that bad again in Game 4, but it's possible that the Heat get Adebayo and/or Dragic back for Game 4 and Butler doesn't have everything on his shoulders, and having an emotional boost like that when down 2-1 seems like a really good recipe for tying it 2-2.
    Last edited by Incandenza; 05-10-2020, 15:37.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    I'll be happy if games 2-4 are as easy for the Lakers as that one. Heat unfortunate to lose Adebayo and Dragic to injury, and Butler got banged up but still played in the second.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    LeBron "Underdog" James.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Los Angeles Littleteam

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    No one gave us a chance against the Clippers and they said that our leader was washed and we gave up too much for AD. But we're the little team that refused to quit and now we're back in the Finals. #WeBelieve

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/1309344145354313729

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Lakers 1 win away from the Finals. I don't know whether to be happy that they're in this position despite not looking good for most of the past 3 games, or to be worried that they're barely scraping by and having looked dominant for a while now.

Of course, down 3-1 the Nuggets have the Lakers right where they want them.
    Last edited by Incandenza; 25-09-2020, 13:27.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    Does she take on other sports people's pre- (or mid-) game rituals?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    And people say that there is no reason to support the Lakers

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1306958041062006785

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    I'm not writing off Boston entirely just yet, but I think this is showing how great of a coach Spoelstra is. He didn't get a lot of credit during the Heatles era. He is a great tactician that makes adjustments, and he also seems to be a really good manager of the team on a personal level. Brad Stevens doesn't seem to command much respect or connect with his players well.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    If for anything else, I will most welcome a few weeks of Dan LeBatard rants against LeBreeze.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    This is like Christmas in September for you and the rest of Lakerland

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    I’m smiling like Emperor Palpatine, letting the hate flow through me

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/1306771306613014528

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    Hey, tis b-ball.

Win or don't win.

LeBreezy's turn to take on the A-English.

Kind of happy for the Celtics-Heat-Nuggets. Kind of wacky living somewhere where the Heat are the "local" team, but here I am. And it's Eastern Airlines that offers non-stop flights.

It's a small world after all.

I will be throwing my weight behind the Nuggets-Heat, but any team deserves it and will get a doff of the cap in el corazon del America del Sur at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    One more bit of schadenfreude:

https://twitter.com/acsteezy99/status/1306111922584997891

A really incredible amount of trash talking from a team that has never won anything. Paul George said after the game that they never thought they would be able to challenge for the championship because it was their first season together, completely contracting what he said just a few months ago, when he said that there was no doubt that they were planning on winning the championship and that there was no question about chemistry.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    I expressly waited for you to be the one to post

And I knew you would come through

Unlike the Clippers
    Back when he bought the team, some people were assuming that Ballmer was going to wait before moving the franchise to Seattle and resurrecting the SuperSonics. Instead he's gone all-in on the Clippers and has spent tens of millions buying up land in Inglewood to build a $1.2 billion arena for the Clippers there. He should still just lay the Clippers organization to bed, and go to Seattle. No one will miss the Clippers.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    I'm howling

https://twitter.com/zachkram/status/1306073785964072962

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I expressly waited for you to be the one to post

And I knew you would come through

Unlike the Clippers

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    AHAHAHA, I should have never worried about the Clippers making the finals. FUCKING USELESS ORGANIZATION!

https://twitter.com/inpredict/status/1306070492952977413

They have the biggest loudmouth in the league in Pat Beverley, and they blew a 3-1 league. Fuckouttahere forever.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Celtics v. Clippers final scenario is my nightmare.

Denver still hanging on and causing the Clips some trouble, but I expect the Clippers to finish them off, especially because they won't want to give the Lakers any more rest.

Lakers v. Clippers will be very scary. Lakers look like the better team on paper, but Kawhi turns into a superman in the playoffs.

It would be really ironic if the bubble, where anything seemed to be possible and no team has any home court advantage, still produces a Lakers/Celtics finals matchup.

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Oh, I missed that rule. I assume that rule was specifically designed to create a situation like this.

There are lots of basketball rules I don't know because they were not used by the Centre Region Parks and Recreation U12 league in 1984-85.
    I'm second in line.

I still can't get over the fact getting the ball first can still result in a card.

Boston still won, so it's Boston v Miami and probably Los Angeles v Los Angeles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X