No announcement yet.

NBA 2019/20: Return of the Big 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

However, I think a work stoppage driven not by self interest or greed (billionaires fighting with millionaires over money) but by the desire to effect genuine lasting, societal change would actually be welcomed by many people in America. I think we have reached a tipping point where enough people are fed up that they are willing to forego their creature comforts for the greater good. They are prepared to sacrifice turning on their TV and watching basketball for a few months for the prospect of a brighter future.

That’s a nice idea, but I still don’t see how just not playing basketball accomplishes any of that. Very, very few people are going to somehow look at the time and resources they were putting into the NBA and redirect it into changing society. Most people will just be frustrated and watch Top Chef or whatever the hell gives them the energy to keep going.*

And while that’s not ideal, I can empathize. Most people, regardless of race, are going through a lot of their own shit right now and after a long day trying hold onto a job and keep their lives together, we’d much rather watch something meaningless yet enjoyable like basketball or Australian Rules Football or old movies than get another earnest lecture on everything that’s wrong with society.

That’s not ideal, obviously, but I think it’s where we are. That doesn’t mean we have to wait for the pandemic to end before we can make any progress and if some people have the time and energy to go out and tear down some statues of slaveowners, knock yourself out. But most of the real work is going to take years and years with lots of ups and downs and lawsuits and local elections and all that tedious essential shit. What the NBA does or doesn’t do in the next few months won’t matter much in the long run.

Where I live, and in Pennsylvania in general, the NBA probably isn’t even in the top five sporting entities that people really care about.

The NFL, college football, the NHL, college basketball, baseball, and in some places, high school and college wrestling, matter more than the NBA. Pittsburgh doesn’t have an NBA team - and probably never will - and the 76ers haven’t really mattered in a long time. There seems to be a lot more passion for Villanova and high school hoops in Philly than the Sixers and you don’t see many Sixers stickers on cars in, for example, Lancaster, whereas even some of the Amish follow the Eagles.

It’s definitely growing and doing lots of things right, but it has a long way to go before it has the widespread appeal of the NFL or what MLB had 40 years ago. As far as I can tell, the NBA matters in the big cities that have the teams that are usually good plus New York and the big stars are household names, but outside of OTF, I personally know only one person who really cares about it. He’s from LA.

* Or maybe I’m projecting. I don’t watch Top Chef, but I have been watching a lot of nonsense lately just to stay sane.

Comment

It's interesting.

Northeastern Ohio is quite similar to Western Pennsylvania and yet their attitude towards basketball is very different. LeBron's dominance and the sheer ineptitude of Cleveland's other teams have a lot to do with that, but that isn't the whole story.

As someone who lived through it, Ali was more than 10 percent of LeBron, but there is no question that LeBron is "bigger"

Comment

I don’t know exactly how to compare what counted as “big“ in the 60s versus now, but people talk about Muhammed Ali as one of the most important public figures of the 20th century and boxing like it was the NFL, NBA and MMA all rolled into one.

I don’t think LeBron or Michael Jordan or any recent athlete has inspired that level of devotion. They’re massively *famous*, of course, but that doesn’t mean what it used to.

I’ve never really got that. Because while I have great respect for Ali’s principled stand on the war, I cannot bring myself to care about boxing. Insofar as I do care about it, I think it should probably be banned.
        Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-06-2020, 05:00.

Comment

Ali ultimately transcended his sport, but his mass popularity post-dated his career.

When he first refused induction, joined the Black Muslims and changed his name, he was reviled by virtually every white sportswriter in the country and the vast majority of the white public.

Even after his renaissance, he never had a fraction of the corporate or commercial appeal that NBA legends have had since the emergence of Magic and Bird.

Comment

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to suggest that he was widely *beloved* in his time. But one way or the other, everyone had an opinion on him, not just as a boxer, but as a person. And the courage and self-respect he displayed despite being widely hated by white people is why his stature - especially among sportswriters - continued to grow throughout the rest of his life, even as the stature and reputation of boxing as sport continued to decline.

We haven’t really had a polarizing athlete like that since (except OJ Simpson, perhaps, but that doesn’t really count).

Kapernick’s stand is admirable, but he just isn’t important enough as an athlete to make as much of a difference. American football just doesn’t matter much outside the US and he was fighting for a starting job when he started to kneel during the anthem.

Comment

HP, you appear to be saying that NBA athletes, whether playing or not, can really only help the BLM cause by talking (the bit about four hour speeches, having a lot more microphones in their faces if playing, for example). Why do you think this, or have I got you wrong?

Comment

I think that’s all they can do in the next six months over and above what they’re already doing.

Of course, they can do anything anyone else with money and name-recognition can do - run for office or work for the ACLU or produce films or invest in Black-owned businesses - but those are either long-term projects and/or full-time jobs.

Comment

Russell Westbrook has tested positive.

Comment

NBA is back baby aoowuuu (wolf howl)

Comment

I’m finding that I don’t really feel like watching any of these sports. Maybe it’s because the spectre of sickness and death hangs over everything now and seeing games with no fans and fake noise and people in masks is just another painful reminder of that. Or maybe it’s because I got myself used to the idea that there wouldn’t be sports this year - and there still probably won’t be many college sports - and having reconciled myself to that, I cannot easily switch back to caring.

Comment

The NBA bubble seems more artificial because the "arenas" are so small and so heavily tricked out.

Comment

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1290383885642145797

Comment

As said on the F1 thread, those giant clapping hands and herky-jerky distorted jazz fingers during free throws I'll be taking with me to the grave. So disturbing.

The games look great on the court, I just wish they'd keep the jerkoff fans off.

It reminds me of George Carlin talking about sports fans, how they're the lowest forms of life because take the owners away, the stadiums, the fans, all you'll just be left with is the athletes. Seeing these insane 300+ point games without the pressure of fans has been a neat science experiment.

Comment

Not only have the Suns been the best team in the bubble, they had the best pre-game introduction, surprising the team with introduction videos from their friends and families:

[URL]https://twitter.com/espn/status/1293287503948992512[/URL]

Comment

First surprising result in the playoffs as the Magic take game 1 from the Bucks fairly comfortably.

Comment

Infuriating game from the Lakers, who like the Bucks showed that the bad performances in the bubble weren't just them relaxing until the playoffs started. LeBron with the first playoff 20/15/15 game since 1965 wasn't enough. Role players are really key in the playoffs and the Lakers got no help from theirs last night.

It doesn't help when Dame is casually pulling up and hitting shots from 36 feet out. I think he's probably near the top of every basketball fans' favorite players to watch.

Comment

One of the all time classic performances from Dončić

21 years old, ladies and gentlemen

Comment

Dude is a total stud.

Comment

Kawhi didn't try very hard to fight through the screen to guard Luka on the last shot. He knew.

Comment

We didn't mention Toronto and their ridiculous 100 points from the bench. So happy to see Norman Powell coming up huge in these playoffs.

The Lakers had probably their best game of the season last night to go up 3-1.

Comment

The Bucks and the Magic may be boycotting playing their game. Orlando was on the court, Milwaukee hasn't come out of the locker room. Now the Magic have left the court.

Comment

https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1298716542469672960

Comment

Now to see what LeBron does.

Comment

Hell yeah

[URL="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1298722832122142722"]https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...22832122142722[/URL]

Comment

The NBA has postponed the games, but it was clear that the players weren't going to play. It's obvious that wouldn't have happened without the players deciding to strike.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X