Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    I cannot imagine any other major North American sports league (including MLS) reacting in the same way to this kind of player activism

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    The NBA has postponed the games, but it was clear that the players weren't going to play. It's obvious that wouldn't have happened without the players deciding to strike.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Hell yeah

[URL="https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1298722832122142722"]https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...22832122142722[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Now to see what LeBron does.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/malika_andrews/status/1298716542469672960

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    The Bucks and the Magic may be boycotting playing their game. Orlando was on the court, Milwaukee hasn't come out of the locker room. Now the Magic have left the court.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    We didn't mention Toronto and their ridiculous 100 points from the bench. So happy to see Norman Powell coming up huge in these playoffs.

The Lakers had probably their best game of the season last night to go up 3-1.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Kawhi didn't try very hard to fight through the screen to guard Luka on the last shot. He knew.

Leave a comment:

• Cal Alamein
    replied
    Dude is a total stud.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    One of the all time classic performances from Dončić

21 years old, ladies and gentlemen

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Infuriating game from the Lakers, who like the Bucks showed that the bad performances in the bubble weren't just them relaxing until the playoffs started. LeBron with the first playoff 20/15/15 game since 1965 wasn't enough. Role players are really key in the playoffs and the Lakers got no help from theirs last night.

It doesn't help when Dame is casually pulling up and hitting shots from 36 feet out. I think he's probably near the top of every basketball fans' favorite players to watch.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    First surprising result in the playoffs as the Magic take game 1 from the Bucks fairly comfortably.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Not only have the Suns been the best team in the bubble, they had the best pre-game introduction, surprising the team with introduction videos from their friends and families:

[URL]https://twitter.com/espn/status/1293287503948992512[/URL]

Leave a comment:

• jason voorhees
    replied
    As said on the F1 thread, those giant clapping hands and herky-jerky distorted jazz fingers during free throws I'll be taking with me to the grave. So disturbing.

The games look great on the court, I just wish they'd keep the jerkoff fans off.

It reminds me of George Carlin talking about sports fans, how they're the lowest forms of life because take the owners away, the stadiums, the fans, all you'll just be left with is the athletes. Seeing these insane 300+ point games without the pressure of fans has been a neat science experiment.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1290383885642145797

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The NBA bubble seems more artificial because the "arenas" are so small and so heavily tricked out.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I’m finding that I don’t really feel like watching any of these sports. Maybe it’s because the spectre of sickness and death hangs over everything now and seeing games with no fans and fake noise and people in masks is just another painful reminder of that. Or maybe it’s because I got myself used to the idea that there wouldn’t be sports this year - and there still probably won’t be many college sports - and having reconciled myself to that, I cannot easily switch back to caring.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    NBA is back baby aoowuuu (wolf howl)

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Russell Westbrook has tested positive.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I think that’s all they can do in the next six months over and above what they’re already doing.

Of course, they can do anything anyone else with money and name-recognition can do - run for office or work for the ACLU or produce films or invest in Black-owned businesses - but those are either long-term projects and/or full-time jobs.

Leave a comment:

• S. aureus
    replied
    HP, you appear to be saying that NBA athletes, whether playing or not, can really only help the BLM cause by talking (the bit about four hour speeches, having a lot more microphones in their faces if playing, for example). Why do you think this, or have I got you wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to suggest that he was widely *beloved* in his time. But one way or the other, everyone had an opinion on him, not just as a boxer, but as a person. And the courage and self-respect he displayed despite being widely hated by white people is why his stature - especially among sportswriters - continued to grow throughout the rest of his life, even as the stature and reputation of boxing as sport continued to decline.

We haven’t really had a polarizing athlete like that since (except OJ Simpson, perhaps, but that doesn’t really count).

Kapernick’s stand is admirable, but he just isn’t important enough as an athlete to make as much of a difference. American football just doesn’t matter much outside the US and he was fighting for a starting job when he started to kneel during the anthem.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Ali ultimately transcended his sport, but his mass popularity post-dated his career.

When he first refused induction, joined the Black Muslims and changed his name, he was reviled by virtually every white sportswriter in the country and the vast majority of the white public.

Even after his renaissance, he never had a fraction of the corporate or commercial appeal that NBA legends have had since the emergence of Magic and Bird.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I don’t know exactly how to compare what counted as “big“ in the 60s versus now, but people talk about Muhammed Ali as one of the most important public figures of the 20th century and boxing like it was the NFL, NBA and MMA all rolled into one.

I don’t think LeBron or Michael Jordan or any recent athlete has inspired that level of devotion. They’re massively *famous*, of course, but that doesn’t mean what it used to.

I’ve never really got that. Because while I have great respect for Ali’s principled stand on the war, I cannot bring myself to care about boxing. Insofar as I do care about it, I think it should probably be banned.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-06-2020, 05:00.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    It's interesting.

Northeastern Ohio is quite similar to Western Pennsylvania and yet their attitude towards basketball is very different. LeBron's dominance and the sheer ineptitude of Cleveland's other teams have a lot to do with that, but that isn't the whole story.

As someone who lived through it, Ali was more than 10 percent of LeBron, but there is no question that LeBron is "bigger"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X