• Show
Clear All

The NRL =/= Rugby League

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
      Game breaks in American Football.
      That’s the whole point of the sport

Comment

Handshakes. "I'm going to shake your hand while giving you an icy stare, after which I'm going to spend the duration of the game kicking lumps out of you/sledging/eye-gouging or anything else I can think of that might intimidate you and help me win".

Comment

After the way the last two have gone, the bits of the World Chess Championship that don't involve the rapid tie-breaks. During last year's I actually saw one or two commentators who were anything but casual viewers suggesting this, as well.

Comment

Fights in ice hockey. Just play the game you psychopaths.

More than one pundit on Match of the Day. I get why you need a presenter plus 1. But you don't need a second person to repeat the presenter's question back to them as an answer.

Cricket exclusively on Sky.

Basketball games as long as they are. If both teams are scoring about 100 points you'd get the same result over a 5 minute game.

Comment

Basketball full stop.

Comment

I’ve often thought basketball would be better has a best-out-of-seven seven minute games, than one 48 minute game. So more like volleyball. But then it wouldn’t work as well for TV, because the duration would be harder to predict.

Comment

Conferences between pitcher and catcher to 'get their signals straight'.
                  Somewhat relatedly, baseball players and especially managers arguing with umpires for minutes on end. It's especially weird how this is tolerated compared to the other big US sports.

Comment

As with fighting in hockey, it persists because many fans find it entertaining.

I don’t like fighting in hockey, but so do enjoy watching managers arguing with umpires. It’s always comical to see a grown man in a polyester knit outfit lose his shit over a kids game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      I’ve often thought basketball would be better has a best-out-of-seven seven minute games, than one 48 minute game. So more like volleyball. But then it wouldn’t work as well for TV, because the duration would be harder to predict.
                      That's what killed off matchplay golf, which (as the Ryder Cup demonstrates year after every other year) is by far the more dramatic and entertaining form of the sport. As matches can finish anything up to sixty minutes ahead of schedule, or potentially run on sixty minutes late, TV hated it.

Comment

But the running times of regular golf are hard to predict too.

Comment

I'm going with 49 minutes.

Comment

Time-outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              More than one pundit on Match of the Day. I get why you need a presenter plus 1. But you don't need a second person to repeat the presenter's question back to them as an answer.
                              Not the only example of over-resourcing in football coverage - see also the two-commentators thing on Five Live (if they still do that), and the multiple pundits for games in big tournaments- some or all of: studio presenter and panel, commentator and pundit, touchline reporter and pundit(s) etc.

Comment

Snooker and tennis both work as 'best-of-X' sports with potentially unpredictable scheduling. Why doesn't this work for basketball or golf?

Comment

Pick up basketball is virtually always played as first to 11 or 21

Comment

This. I would watch this.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post

I'm going with 49 minutes.
                                      No, if one team won four games before the complete 7, it would be over early. They could pad it out with interviews, etc - which is what they do when volleyball is on TV - but advertisers wouldn't want to pay much for the ad space in the time after the game was over.

Comment

You can force the match to go the full distance though, if the number of individual games won is made relevant to the standings in some way. So there's something to be gained for a team clawing it back from 0-4 to finish 3-4.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          Pick up basketball is virtually always played as first to 11 or 21
                                          Most pick-up games of all sorts are like this because nobody keeps a clock and because it ensures that blow-outs are over quickly and new teams can be picked.

For the NHL all-star game they should use the pick-up rules where the team that scores a goal gets to keep playing and the team that conceded it has to sit down while a third (or fourth, or fifth) team takes there place, and repeat. The object is to see how long you can stay on the ice/blacktop/floor and still score goals before inevitably the better rested team knocks you to the back of the line.

They could do that in basketball too, but not after every basket. I think it's first to ten, usually.

Comment

Sisu. Ok I'm no big fan of that lot down the M69 but what this company has done to football in Coventry, as well as to Rugby fans in London, is beyond belief. What the hell they hope to gain from the whole mess evades me completely.
                                            Last edited by nmrfox; 02-07-2019, 17:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                              Snooker and tennis both work as 'best-of-X' sports with potentially unpredictable scheduling. Why doesn't this work for basketball or golf?
                                              TV, particularly US TV, really hates that aspect of Tennis, mind. That is part of the drive towards best-of-three set matches, tie-breaks, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
                                                Actually, on the subject of one horse races - Olympic basketball.

Give the trophy to the US at the opening ceremony and let the field play for silver and bronze.... Added benefit would be the opportunity to scrap the 3rd/4th game.
                                                The US has to make an effort to be that dominant. That wasn’t true in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez
                                                  Oh and all star games. In every sport but especially NFL.

And the dunk contest. That shit jumped the shark like 20 years ago.
                                                  Yeah, everyone knows it and talks about t but nobody is willing to pull the plug.

Comment

I don't know so much about basketball so maybe someone could briefly explain what's wrong with the dunk? Ta.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X