No announcement yet.

Pointless things in sport...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Football players who are seemingly unable to remember that removing their shirts after scoring a goal gets you a yellow card.
    2) The very fact that a booking exists for this at all.

3) Goalkeepers who try to stop the their opponents from picking the ball out of the net after the latter have pulled a goal back, If you need to delay the kick off then simply walk back more slowly to the halfway line.

Comment

Collecting a football from the top of a plinth before a football match - whoever put it there in the first place should simply give it to the referee in his dressing room instead.
      Also, this act being shown between 6 and 8 times per episode of Match of the Day.

Comment

The Boat Race

Comment

There are contractual obligation angles to that one

Comment

Oh, add doubles tennis to the list for endless unnecessary fist bumps and high fives.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
              The Boat Race
              Dunno how you could be disappointed in The Boat Race. Its name tells you exactly what it is.

Comment

Oh, I'm never disappointed by it. It's a marvellous occasion. But it is completely and utterly pointless. It's like the country stopped every year to watch the fucking Eton Wall Game.
                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 12-06-2019, 14:16.

Comment

That has nothing to do with the competition and everything to do with "your" bizarre culture and the BBC's interpretation/promotion of same.

As someone who has done it, I can assure you that a four mile race in eights on a river course is bloody difficult.

Comment

Is it just that Boat race that Rogin has issues with, or rowing races in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                      3) Goalkeepers who try to stop the their opponents from picking the ball out of the net after the latter have pulled a goal back, If you need to delay the kick off then simply walk back more slowly to the halfway line.

Yes, I've never really got that. I presume it's to waste time or give the defence and the 'keeper a bit longer to get their heads right after shipping a goal but we're talking about a few seconds here.

Back on the toss, in football it's usually customary to choose or allow the home side to attack it's end in the second half, with a bit of booing if the away side wins the toss and goes against the convention. We might as well do away with it, let the home side choose which way to kick at the start of the game and allow the away side to kick off.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Back on the toss, in football it's usually customary to choose or allow the home side to attack it's end in the second half, with a bit of booing if the away side wins the toss and goes against the convention. We might as well do away with it, let the home side choose which way to kick at the start of the game and allow the away side to kick off.
                        I think there are tacit agreements in place as regards this, in any case.

It`s curious, though, that both Atlético Madrid and Valencia prefer to play towards their most shouty fans in the first half.

Comment

The way this Cricket World Cup has been going then bails.
                          Johnny Manziel.
                          The Monaco Grand Prix.

Comment

Yes, I've never really got that. I presume it's to waste time or give the defence and the 'keeper a bit longer to get their heads right after shipping a goal but we're talking about a few seconds here.
                            There is also a bit of a mental component / routine for a goalkeeper to get the ball out of the net after a goal. Over 90% of the time the goalkeeper does this and nobody cares / is happy to leave it to them. The sudden interference in routine strikes me as what causes the conflict.

Comment

My football one is the referee sprinting half the length of the field to book a timewasting goalkeeper in injury-time when the same goalkeeper has been ostentatiously wasting time since about the 10th minute. Goal-line assistants too. They are completely pointless.

As for the tennis ones - bouncing the ball, towelling down etc - they are just personal rituals that are clearly important to the player concerned. A bit like batsmen wondering off towards point/square-leg or twirling the bat-handle between deliveries in cricket. Or Owen Farrell's crouch and sideways stare at the posts as he's about to kick for goal in rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                One wonders if batsmen would consciously become more aggressive in overs 20-25,/which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Would be worth trialing, rather unlike The Hundred.
                                (I'm only quoting to show what I'm replying to).

On the Spin podcast someone mentioned the idea of having two inning t20 games and the idea has really struck me.

Comment

Those ridiculous celebrations by American Footballers when they make a tackle. Imagine if that happed in association football, high stepping celebrations after a knocking the ball out for a corner...

Comment

Dalymount park is aligned east/ west so in the first half of a sunny summer evening the keeper has the setting sun straight in his face so choice of ends can be important.

Comment

Yellow cards in Gaelic sports, they fulfil the same function as in football but unless you get two of them and get sent off there's no accumulation suspension. You could have a twenty year career and get booked in every single match and not serve a minute on the sidelines. Also Gaelic players,especially hurlers, are the only people I ever see celebrating the award of a free.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

(I'm only quoting to show what I'm replying to).

On the Spin podcast someone mentioned the idea of having two inning t20 games and the idea has really struck me.
                                        Rob Eastaway. Met him a few years ago when he gave a talk to maths teachers.

Yeah, I like that idea as well. Would fit nicely in one day and it might have a better sense of ebb and flow than the current short formats.

Comment

The extraneous post-whistle shoot for the hoop / shot in the net (hockey and football) just to piss off the other team. They should assess a penalty/card for that.

Comment

Newcastle United

Comment

The Penalty Kick in Soccer

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                                The Penalty Kick in Soccer
                                                Expand, please.

Comment

An officiating decision in a low scoring sport that gives one team a virtually certain goal is inherently unfair. It should be replaced by a free-kick (direct or indirect) from the point of infringement. And accompanied by a red card if the foul is particularly egregious.

Comment

What if it's handball on the goal line? Where do you take the free kick from?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X