No announcement yet.

Pointless things in sport...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra innings in the 162 game MLB season..... C'mon no need for OT when the game has next to no impact on the overall season..... lets just call the game a draw and hit the exits.....

Or, if they insist on extra innings lets go the beer league softball route and stick a runner on 2nd.

Lastly, NASCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by Cesar Rodriguez View Post
      Actually, on the subject of one horse races - Olympic basketball.

Give the trophy to the US at the opening ceremony and let the field play for silver and bronze.... Added benefit would be the opportunity to scrap the 3rd/4th game.
      The US has to make an effort to be that dominant. That wasn’t true in the 90s.

Comment

Oh and all star games. In every sport but especially NFL.

And the dunk contest. That shit jumped the shark like 20 years ago.
        Yeah, everyone knows it and talks about t but nobody is willing to pull the plug.

Comment

I don't know so much about basketball so maybe someone could briefly explain what's wrong with the dunk? Ta.

Comment

Extra innings in the 162 game MLB season..... C'mon no need for OT when the game has next to no impact on the overall season..... lets just call the game a draw and hit the exits.....

Or, if they insist on extra innings lets go the beer league softball route and stick a runner on 2nd.

Lastly, NASCAR.
            Ties are not tolerated in the US.

Minor leagues are trying the guy on second thing. I’m not a fan.

NASCAR is fine. The point of oval racing is that they’re racing each other, not the track. F1 is predictable and there’s not much passing. NASCAR is more competitive. It can be boring on TV, though. You have to really understand and care about the nuances. I’ve been to a couple live and that is cool - it’s so damn loud - though the Trumpistan vibe can be a bit off-putting.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
              I don't know so much about basketball so maybe someone could briefly explain what's wrong with the dunk? Ta.
              I think he meant the dunk contest, not dunks in games.

Comment

Actually, absolute last thing. Anthems before sporting events.

I get that they create a sense of ocassion and pomp and circumstance in international events but in domestic sporting leagues it just doesnt make any sense. Its most absurd in the NHL where Americans comprise less than 33% of the players in the league - why should tons of Canadians have to endure the star spangled banner night in and night out - its pretty obnoxious imo.

Comment

That ship has sailed. The right-wing think it’s desperately important to shoehorn militarism into every occasion possible. It’s not worth the effort to argue about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I think he meant the dunk contest, not dunks in games.
                    Yes I understood that so the question remains.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Ties are not tolerated in the US.
                      Except occasionally in the NFL.

Comment

Actually, absolute last thing. Anthems before sporting events.
                        Worse still: anthems before cricket. Or anything else where they don't run out to play immediately afterwards.

Bellow it out, shed tears, bulge those eyes, you're so up for it ... and then walk back to the dressing room and have a nap.

Comment

Until the 1960s the British National Anthem was played at the end of the last film at the flicks: I remember that almost nobody took a blind bit of notice while leaving the premises.

Comment

That's something that the vast majority of Brexit voters would like to bring back...

Comment

Except occasionally in the NFL.
                              Everyone is upset when it happens.

Comment

Yes I understood that so the question remains.
                                The in game dunk functions perfectly as a spontaneous, momentum altering, crowd engaging piece of showmanship.

As a scripted and choreographed event with no opposition it is sterile and completely pointless. Especially when you watch a guy attempt a dunk 17 times and he only finally completes it on the 18th try.

Comment

Working...
                                X