Brighton can do one, a "pebble beach" is rubbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brighton can do one, a "pebble beach" is rubbish

In a moment of misty eyed sentiment, the USGA has taken its Open to Pebble Beach this year, breaking the recent pattern of going there in years ending in 0, to commemorate the club's centenary. A US Open at Pebble Beach is like an Open at St Andrews; not really more important than any other year, but set in such breathtaking scenery that somehow it feels like one every generation of players wants to win just that little bit more.

So who will? Rory McIlroy just signed off at the Canadian Open by shooting a 61 in the final round, which is a bit of a marker. Patrick Cantlay won the week before, at the Memorial, often a decent pointer to US Open form. Dustin Johnson has been steady if not spectacular for the last few weeks, often the form you need at this tournament. Then of course is the new Masters Champion, who did win round here 19 years ago. And Brooks Koepka can become the first player to threepeat at the US Open since they used to play with wooden clubs with pigeon's heads for balls.

Marc Leishmann or Branden Grace, I reckon, if none of the above. Just looking forward to watching the Pacific waves crashing onto that shoreline and wishing I was there.
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-06-2019, 19:59.

Threepeat is not a word. It makes me want to gouge out the eyes of anyone who uses it.

Comment

You just hate Pat Riley

Riley semi-famously holds the trademark to the word "three-peat." That doesn't mean you can't say "three-peat" or I can't write the word on this page. It does mean that if you or I wanted to sell a T-shirt or a cap with the word "three-peat" on it, we would have to pay Riley a royalty. Riley filed his trademark application in 1988, when he was the coach of the Lakers and, as the story goes, he heard Byron Scott use the word to describe their team's aspirations. That takes a certain kind of man with a certain kind of brain. While his Lakers did not three-peat, the Bulls soon did, and Riley reportedly earned about $300,000 in licensing fees.

"It's like going out there and picking up a penny on the ground," Riley told ESPN's Darren Rovell in 2005.
      Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-06-2019, 15:13.

Comment

If only it were trademarked so nobody could ever say it or write it without having their eyes gouged out.

Comment

Anyway, Pebble Beach - it's very pretty, isn't it? I've not been there, but the missus went up for golf stuff a couple of years ago and played a few of the courses in the area. She was dutifully impressed, but commented that even by golf standards it's incredibly unaffordable. She didn't even try and play the actual Pebble Beach course because the price was so comically high.

Conditions should be nearly perfect - maybe a little chilly. It's super hot along the west coast right now, but will cool down by mid-week. No rain forecast, wind shouldn't be too crazy. So it might be pretty low scoring by US Open standards.

Comment

I recently came across a thing revealing that the greens fee at Pebble Beach is $550, plus you have to stay in one of their hotels for two nights.

No wonder the sport is dying.

Comment

In a related tangent, Ursus will share my utter shock that next year's PGA Championship will be played at...

Harding Park. Yes, the place where I used to walk my dog.

Comment

That was announce a while ago, but yeah, it is pretty wild.

Another course I have played hosting a major.

I think that the greens fees at Pebble Beach were below 100 USD in the 80s and that Cypress Point was more expensive.

Comment

It's been on the upswing for 20 years - apparently it being used as a parking lot for the 1998 US Open at the very nearby Olympic Club (something I remember - some frat twat did a burnout on one of the greens) was the last straw in the long, sad decline of a former championship course - but still. It's like finding out the next Champions League final will be at the Valley or something.

Comment

I played TPC Harding Park last time I was in the Bay Area, a couple of years ago - much like Torrey Pines, it was still very affordable for the locals I was playing with, and not very affordable at all for non-residents. But still, nothing like as unreasonable as Pebble. I do like it when the tournaments are played on properly public courses.

I absolutely fucked up my round at Harding, although not as badly as one of the dudes I was playing with who repeatedly hit 300+ yard drives to be up around the green, only to take 7 chips and putts on pretty much every hole. It was a very pretty setting and, with a thick coastal fog rolling in on a few of the holes, it was a very San Francisco experience.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                      That was announce a while ago, but yeah, it is pretty wild.

Another course I have played hosting a major.

I think that the greens fees at Pebble Beach were below 100 USD in the 80s and that Cypress Point was more expensive.
                      I read that too, though $100 in 1985 would be about $250 now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                        I recently came across a thing revealing that the greens fee at Pebble Beach is $550, plus you have to stay in one of their hotels for two nights.

No wonder the sport is dying.
                        So, I think this is a little unfair. Pebble is comically expensive, yes. But there are very few courses that cost $550. If you want to play the snottiest, most expensive, most luxurious courses then, yes, the cost is silly.

But the sport isn't in decline because of $550 courses. There are very few $550 public courses. Municipal courses are normally very reasonable.

If you want to play next years USPGA course - Harding Park - and live in San Francisco and are happy playing a twilight round, you can play for $54.

If you want to play the 2021 US Open course - Torrey Pines - and live in the city of San Diego and are happy to play a weekday twilight round (teeing off after 3pm, so you still have over 5 hours of daylight), it'll set you back $38.

The sport's decline is mostly because people don't have 4 to 5 hours to take out of their day for a leisure activity. You shouldn't judge it by Pebble Beach or - even worse - Augusta National.

Comment

I have a painting of the 18th hole at Pebble Beach in my lounge. Much like a painting of the great wall of China or those waterfalls in "Up" it's somewhere I'll probably never go to.

It is, however, the place where Tom Watson chipped in from behind the 17th green in 1982 to beat Jack Nicklaus in 1982, prompting the latter to say "you little son of a bitch, you're something else" after one of golf's most dramatic ever finishes.

https://youtu.be/DO6qIg7aInw

Comment

Pebble is technically a public course, but the Pebble Beach Company honestly sounds like some weird feudal holdover you’d see in Europe so it’s very weird there.

Comment

$38 seems a bit expensive too if you’re playing often enough to get any good.

I agree the problem is more the time commitment than the cost, but it’s a lot more expensive than, for example, tennis. There are public courts all over where one can just walk on and play.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 10-06-2019, 19:49.

Comment

Never mind the golf. To me the name "Pebble Beach" is a useful shorthand, roughly translated as "don't grab a pitchfork and join in, they just might be over excited about not very much". And as a follow-up, "everyone forgets".

It was 30 years ago. Japan was taking over the world. Because ... Rockefeller Center, and Pebble Beach. I'd never heard of the place before, but it got a lot of people very worked up on TV, and there was much gnashing to behold. America was LOSING.

To China? Don't be silly.

Comment

I remember that.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                    Never mind the golf. To me the name "Pebble Beach" is a useful shorthand, roughly translated as "don't grab a pitchfork and join in, they just might be over excited about not very much". And as a follow-up, "everyone forgets".

It was 30 years ago. Japan was taking over the world. Because ... Rockefeller Center, and Pebble Beach. I'd never heard of the place before, but it got a lot of people very worked up on TV, and there was much gnashing to behold. America was LOSING.

To China? Don't be silly.
                                    It gives me a Stereophonics ear worm.

(Local Boy in the Photograph)

Comment

Interesting first day, lots of good scores posted by almost all the top players. Justin Rose leading shouldn't be a surprise, although he had been a bit overlooked in the build-up. I hope Tiger plays himself right into contention today, it'll be a more interesting weekend with him on the leaderboard.

Comment

Couldn't disagree more about Woods, the golf media's obsession with him is annoying at the best of times, when he's challenging it becomes intolerable.

Comment

Shaping up to be interesting tonight (and Woods is, all but, out of it). Gary Woodland's a great player but being chased by all the top four should put some pressure on tonight. I hope it ends up McIlroy-Koepka tomorrow; a direct shootout for which reaches five major wins first from this new generation.

Last players to win a fifth major, in reverse order of winning their fifth :

Phil Mickelson 2013
                                          Tiger Woods 2000
                                          Nick Faldo 1992
                                          Seve Ballesteros 1988
                                          Tom Watson 1981
                                          Lee Trevino 1974
                                          Gary Player 1968
                                          Jack Nicklaus 1966
                                          Peter Thomson 1965
                                          Arnold Palmer 1962
                                          Sam Snead 1951
                                          Ben Hogan 1951

Needless to say it's a pretty exclusive club.
                                          Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 16-06-2019, 06:47.

Comment

I feel an urge to watch this, and I have no idea where to find a stream. If a comrade could help me out I'd be much obliged.

Comment

Sorry, can't help with a stream, but I have to say - it's been pretty watchable, but the time difference is a real killer in terms of committing to watching it to the bitter death. Does anyone know what sort of end time is anticipated for tomorrow? I can't find any tee times past round 3.

Comment

That's why I like the Masters, the time difference to the UK is perfect. I'll see if I can get the Iplayer for radio working but I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Yessssss, got the radio, text coverage and refreshments, and Milhaud to soundtrack it. Give me some winning golf you golfy gits.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X