Opposite names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opposite names

I've been reminded that on Tuesday one of the New Zealand women's football team substitutes was Paige Satchell. I thought at the time how much that was like Satchel Paige, the hall of fame baseball player who made his name with the Kansas City Monarchs before baseball integrated and he made his MLB debut aged 42.

Are there any other sportspeople with unlikely inverse names. I know about the footballers John Collins and Collins John. I wonder if there are other cross-sport links like Satchell and Paige.

There are four sportsmen named John Barry listed on Wiki so they would reverse Barry John

Comment

The current US Senior Open golf champion is called David Toms. Although I can't immediately think of one there must have been a Tom Davids (Davies?) somewhere down the years.

Comment

Within football rather than cross-sport, Edgar Davids and David Edgar.

Comment

This brings to mind the trivia question about two British international footballers with names the reverse of each other.....

Comment

Not another sportsperson, but a German writer with this name:

Comment

Along those lines

Comment

Comment

Just switching the double-barrelled surname about, we have Swiss alpine skier Corinne Rey-Bellet and British singer-songwriter Corinne Bailey Ray.

Or had - Rey-Bellet was the victim of a misogynistic murder-suicide as her estranged husband killed her, her brother (a few days before his wedding) and seriously injured Rey-Bellet's mother. Her husband was obviously complete and utter scum who wasn't worthy of breathing.

Comment

Comment

I've always been pleased with these names, which are not reversals but I want to mention them anyway:

Shane Warne (cricket)
                      Shaun Wane (rugby league)
                      Wayne Shaw (footballer)

Comment

If we're allowed to extend this to music (which, on the Sport forum, I'm sure we aren't), then there's Leee John (singer with Imagination) and Jon Lee (late drummer with Feeder).

Comment

Brandon Carter former US football player and wrestler

Carter Brandon fictional character invented by Peter Tinniswood

Comment

I'm not too worried about sticking hard and fast to the rules, Jah

Comment

Okay - well, in that case:

Woody Allen - noted (and in some quarters despised) US film director
                              Allen Woody - late bassist with The Allman Brothers Band

Comment

Working...
                              X