No announcement yet.

Niki Lauda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the cars which could theoretically drive upside down were the Ground Effects cars of the late 70s/early 80s. If I understand it correctly, the sides of the car spread downwards once in motion to create a vacuum underneath, sucking the car to the road. I think on the "fan car" Brabham Lauda drove (the third of Longeared's pics above) the fan was meant to do a similar thing. I remember its first race where they had it covered with a dustbin lid or similar for concealment until the start.

Both of these technologies having been banned, Ground Effects certainly on safety grounds due to too-high cornering speeds, I assumed modern F1 cars would no longer be allowed to create such suction. But I guess that's naive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

I think they're designed specifically NOT to. Isn't the urban myth that the downforce they generate is so powerful you could drive one upside down on the roof of a tunnel?
      I’ve heard that about F1 or Indy Cars or maybe both. I believe it. The cars are very light.

Comment

Working...
      X