Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• longeared
    replied
    The Duckworth Lewis figure is constantly displayed on the scoreboard, so the players in the middle will know the situation.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    According to Cricinfo, we will get enough overs before the rain for this definitely to have a result. The key for India is to stay ahead of Duckworth Lewis, which I'm sure they've got constantly on screen and/or paper in the dressing room.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yes, that has sometimes been used as a lesson to be learned from by the pro-legalisation forces here.

Leave a comment:

• Levin
    replied
    It probably doesn't help that (I think) all the gambling on Cricket in India is illegal. Gambling laws are certainly highly restrictive, which means there is no regulation of the cricket market.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The North American leagues are very aware of the issues with spot-fixing and one of the reasons why they haven't started already is that they are taking their time in devising strategies to make it less attractive.

My understanding is that one idea getting serious consideration is limiting limiting the range of bets available and announcing them as late as the beginning of the relevant inning so that bookies don't have time to get to players.

I still tend to expect that there will be at least one high-profile case here. We've already had a high profile NBA ref engage in form of spot fixing over multiple seasons.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I think very few people throw games. If you were a corrupt cricketer, there are so much less obvious ways to throw a bone to bookies or gamblers using spot bets.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    T20 has made players a lot wealthier than they were in 2000 and it tends to be less secure players on the margins who would be tempted. The World Cup is under too much scrutiny for players to just chuck games and I don't see how the risk to future career earnings would make sense.

Dhoni is very wealthy so anyone accusing him of chasing a bookie handout is discredited immediately.
    That's ultimately why nobody is too worried about it in the big US pro sports, but it can be a problem in college sports. And even wealthy people can become gambling addicts or get in too deep with bookies.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    That's reassuring.

The major pro leagues here are planning to promote in-game prop bets based on proprietary data. My understanding is that the final scores of games cannot be copyrighted because it's considered news, but they can control in-game stats, so that's how they're going to make money off of legal sports betting. But that would encourage the kind of spot-fixing you mention. Maybe they'll restrict the betting such that nobody can make enough off of any one of those bets to make it worthwhile to try to fix it without drawing a lot of attention to it. If Vegas sees a lot of action on whether or not Josh Bell is going to strike out in the fifth inning of a July 27 game against the Padres, they can take it off the board.

BTW, my first introduction to the game was the conversation about the Hansie Cronjeon the original OTF board. It was a whole new world.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    T20 has made players a lot wealthier than they were in 2000 and it tends to be less secure players on the margins who would be tempted. The World Cup is under too much scrutiny for players to just chuck games and I don't see how the risk to future career earnings would make sense.

Dhoni is very wealthy so anyone accusing him of chasing a bookie handout is discredited immediately.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Reed, it is a complicated situation for a number of reasons.

On the one hand, there have been major match-fixing scandals that are still within the memory of most people who follow the sport. In 2000, the South Africans engaged in various shenanigans against India in full internationals that led to their captain being banned for life.

More recently, some less prominent T20 leagues have been plagued by match fixing, and Pakistan were found to have engaged in spot-fixing while touring England in 2010.

That partially reflects the fact that a very large number of matches are played, and there is significant betting available on virtually all of them, with much of the betting coming from the Subcontinent and Subcontinent diaspora communities. I have long thought that spot fixing would exist in North American sports if there was real money to be made on betting whether there would be a wild pitch in a particular inning, given how inconsequential such things can be on the final result of the match. We do have a deep market for prop bets of that sort on the Super Bowl, but the sheer number of people watching the game (which creates the prop bet market) also makes it hard to get away with shenanigans.

All of this means that conspiracy theorists have more to deal with than they usually do, but it doesn't mean that there is a spectre over outcomes in a tournament of this magnitude that is meaningfully interfering with its popularity or meaningfulness anymore than that is the case with the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    With the different conditions over two days, wouldn't it be wiser just to start fresh tomorrow?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Play stopped for the day.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I don't want to dig up something that's been buried or concern-troll, but I would like to know how much the specter of cheating and shenanigans is really hurting the game.* Like, for example, I'm sure there are people out there who believe India took a dive against England in the round-robin phase to help England into the semis. I'm sure of it because I saw something about that on Instagram. Taken further, one could believe that Australia tanked it against SA to help ensure India an easier draw into the final.

Of course, I don't really believe either of those. Because an easier way to get England into the final would have been to pay off Pakistan or Sri Lanka (or was it Bangladesh) to not beat them or for England to just play better in those matches. And having New Zealand rather than Pakistan in the semis isn't ideal from a commercial stand-point, I wouldn't think.

But are these sorts of ideas seem to be out there and I'm wondering if the the very real cheating scandals and the general corruption of letting the BCCI run everything is fueling cynicism among fans and if there's any real concern that it could do real damage to the sport. I hope not, but cheating doesn't seem to be punished very harshly in cricket and the blazerati that run it appear to be pretty corrupt, so I'm asking as an interested newcomer.

*Cheating really was threatening baseball until the Black Sox scandal happened and the commissioner was given great powers.

And there was a bit of this in the NBA, as I recall. "They rigged the lottery so that the Knicks could get Patrick Ewing" is the "Mikey died from eating pop-rocks and Coke" of 90's sportstalk radio. And there's an idea that Stern made Michael Jordan quit for a few years as a "quiet" suspension for his gambling issues (because a punishment that nobody knows is a punishment is soooo effective). And then an actual NBA ref got caught taking bribes. But the NBA is obviously doing just fine, even though the management of some of the big market teams is terrible, so I don't think there's much threat from a scandal, either real or imagined.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    I think NZ would be happy enough to come back tomorrow. India's batsmen can slog 20 overs in their sleep.

More to the point, if it's the sport's showpiece event then rushing to get it out of the way today is ridiculous, there's nothing urgent about sitting around for the rest of the week. Play some cricket instead.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Starting to take covers off now though. If I was anything to do with India I'd be stalling like hell for the next hour or so.

Leave a comment:

• Etienne
    replied
    Looks like they are going to be coming back tomorrow, which is fairer, though if its under clear skies that'll be harsh on nz.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    No, just late.
    Sporting was replying to a post that's now been deleted...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Didn't the football World Cup Final clash with Wimbledon Mens' Final last year? It's actually Wimbledon that's recently moved back a week from it's traditional slot in the calendar though.

I'm more worried that we get a farcical semi-final than England getting a softer opponent but obviously the latter is a concern too.
    I don't know how weather could impact that, but late July through the end of August is a pretty barren time on the sports calendar. I can understand why FIFA doesn't have events then, but it seems like this cricket world cup could have been shifted later, no?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sporting View Post
    Wrong thread?
    No, just late.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Didn't the football World Cup Final clash with Wimbledon Mens' Final last year? It's actually Wimbledon that's recently moved back a week from it's traditional slot in the calendar though.

I'm more worried that we get a farcical semi-final than England getting a softer opponent but obviously the latter is a concern too.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Which, worryingly, is still probably enough time to put India in for 20 overs and once they start them that's the maximum they can play even if we come back tomorrow.
    But then imagine the wrath of the BCCI. I think the umpires will have an eye on the politics, which means NZ won't get any chance to level this to a 20 over slog.

You're also worried England get a soft NZ final, I guess.

And why is this fucking final clashing with Wimbledon?
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 09-07-2019, 16:03.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Wrong thread?

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

You should be more worried about matching success for the Turquoises. Their star batter Widdy Widdecombe has something of the day-night about her

Winning team in each game (drawn/abandoned games are blank), plus the margin. Distinguishing between winners batting first and second.

I did roadtest the chart with some grade schoolers, probably should have simplified it further for corporate lawyers
    I get what it shows literally, but I don't quite understand the significance of what it shows. Perhaps I'd be better off seeing how the actual scores were different from the projected scores based on run-rate.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Which, worryingly, is still probably enough time to put India in for 20 overs and once they start them that's the maximum they can play even if we come back tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Rain isn't due to relent till at least 6, apparently

Leave a comment:

Working...
X