No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's like deciding the football World Cup on corner count. It doesn't matter how runs are scored, and never has in the entire history of the game IIRC, but here a totally arbritrary stat denies a team a share of the trophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      It's like deciding the football World Cup on corner count. It doesn't matter how runs are scored, and never has in the entire history of the game IIRC, but here a totally arbritrary stat denies a team a share of the trophy.
      I couldn’t figure out why you were mad, then I realised that both teams got 15 in the super over. What the fuck, that’s it? There should be another super over. That’s like giving a side the win on penalties because the other team had one muffed by the keeper.

Comment

Ladbrokes are offering evens on Ben Stokes ending up in the cells tonight!!

Comment

Unfortunately something totally obvious to any sentient being was overlooked by the organizers, that you can always have another super over. Stipulation would probably be different batsmen and bowlers must be selected.

England were also favoured by the fact that Stokes simply was able to resume his knock, although it's also true that Boult was working him out.

Archer was an odd choice and they got away with that one big time.

Comment

Ha ha. Stokes could follow Flintoff in 2005and boke in the Downing St garden after a 3some with Terri and Boycs.

Congrats to England

Comment

What a magnificent head of hair Sachin Tendulkar has.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                He'll probably get SPOTY over someone who did something much harder than win a ODI. Ashes still to come too.

Comment

Jesus, you're a sour prick.

Comment

What an absolute credit Williamson and his team are to the sport.

Moeen and Rashid trying to avoid the champagne being sprayed around.

Comment

If it hadn't been for the boundaries tie breaker, England would have won due to finishing ahead of NZ in the group stage.

But I completely agree NZ were astonishingly unlucky. Apart from winning a crucial toss, almost every bit of luck went England's way.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                        Jesus, you're a sour prick.
                        This is true. Apologies if I offended.

Comment

Congrats to all the England cricket fans. Watching the coverage of the crowds beforehand and afterwards, I must say that it's nice to see that there is at least one sporting culture in England that is capable of putting on a display of sporting nationalism and pride that makes their neighbours happy for them, rather than leaving them fearing invasion. That and it's nice that things worked out for Eoin Morgan.
                          Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 14-07-2019, 19:22.

Comment

New Zealand were better on the day, but they only got out the group because it rained in the second week. Or because Carlos Brathwaite didn't hit his shot a couple of yards further. Them's the fine margins of elite level sport.

Breathtaking game, this has been and now forever will be my favourite World Cup ever.

Comment

Well, what an extraordinary, exhausting game. There's been plenty of sporting drama around, like the Champions League last season, but I can't think of too many finals in any sport that could rival that.

Lots of little moments to pick over, but really there's no point. The rules were known, there weren't any VAR-type howlers, no underarms or forward passes or Wembley-Tors, so it was only unfair in the way that sport often is, not unfair in the sense of rigging and cheating. England were lucky, as NZ would have been equally lucky if the roles were reversed. So it goes.

If cricket in England doesn't build on this then heads should be on pikes.

Comment

Losing fewer wickets used to be the tie-breaker in some one-day competitions, didn't it? Not a whinge (well, not a serious one), arguably fairer than a super over, but far less gripping for the punters, if that's what they're going for.

Comment

Excellent post.

Comment

Really feel for New Zealand, some rotten luck on the day, but England, blimey, how did they manage that?

Lucky buggers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                      Ladbrokes can fuck off and stop trying to cheapen proper sporting drama.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

Ladbrokes can fuck off and stop trying to cheapen proper sporting drama.
                                        It could be worse. They're nowhere near as shamefully embarrassing as Paddy fucking Power.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

This is true. Apologies if I offended.
                                          No, you're alright. I went in a bit hard there. I too apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                            I know we have to have the final at fucking Lords because Lords, but someone needs to have a word with the ground staff to explain what home fucking advantage means.
                                            Why prepare a terrible pitch like this for the final when England pay 50 times better on a flat track.
                                            You'd never catch the Aussies making such a pathetic mistake.
                                            It's not like it's impossible in London. At the Oval England would have walked this final.
                                            Pitches for World Cup matches are prepared under the durisdiction of the ICC, home groundsmen don't have the opportunity to produce a surface favourable for the home nation as they do in other internationals.

Well done England, cricket...bloody hell! Now bring on the Ashes.

Comment

Had to turn off before fucking Prince Andrew got involved in the presentation,mind.

Comment

What. A.Game. Wow. Bloody hell. That has to be the most thrilling final in any sport for a decade or more.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

It could be worse. They're nowhere near as shamefully embarrassing as Paddy fucking Power.
                                                  They are getting there though, and should know better. Doing #banter bets so lads who play five a side talking about tekkers and worldies can show their mates that they've had a "cheeky" bet? Get in - as I believe is the parlance - the fucking sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                                                    Had to turn off before fucking Prince Andrew got involved in the presentation,mind.
                                                    Yeah, my attempts at warm feelings towards the England victory were certainly diminished by those TV shots inside the long room, where the chinless wonders were like pissed hearties at the debs' ball.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X