No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kev, Reed are also a Hertfordshire team. And Cokenach. Which is where Royston play their home games these days, IIRC. Royston's venue actually in Royston was on Therfield Heath, which had had over 200 years of cricket playing history until it was abandoned a few years back due to escalating costs and complete lack of interest from those running the clubhouse.

Comment

Cheers Janik, I just copied off the website so missed those ones from other counties. You might be right that the local scene here is also not typical; we are blessed and cursed with a lot of flat open spaces!

Comment

The Facebook feed of a couple of my friends is full of the wicket-taking, run scoring exploits of their boys, who definitely play a lot of cricket. They don't go to fee paying schools, and Scunthorpe is not in the home counties.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
          Cheers Janik, I just copied off the website so missed those ones from other counties. You might be right that the local scene here is also not typical; we are blessed and cursed with a lot of flat open spaces!
          Speak for yourself. We are on the edge of the Chilterns here, mate. We've got hills and everything down here south of the border. See this stage map - some short but sharp changes in elevation between Barkway and Therfield Heath, which is the area local to me.

Comment

There's a few things at play here I think. The consequence of no cricket on FTA TV has definitely hurt the game in terms of participation levels at older and adult levels, in my view. The ECB junior cricket schemes have done very well and bring loads in to cricket clubs, but around here at least (Leics/Derbys) there's then a big drop off when kids go to secondary schools and the game turns into hardball complete with pads, helmets etc. The game does seem to be flourishing in south Cambs and north Herts (I see Reed and Foxton are drawn in the quarters, btw) but I would be interested to know how it's doing at club level in the Lancs and Yorks leagues.

On Roy, I too am quite surprised there wasn't more of a reaction. It was a shocker from Dharmesana, compounded by him also not realising the review had already gone and his half wide/half out decision. But, having said all that, I don't remember a batsman behaving like that in a long time.

Comment

I have heard a suggestion that Dharmesana was unsure from the off, but as he thought that England had a review, decided to call him out in the "knowledge" that he would be reversed if he was wrong.

I have no idea of that was in fact the case, but it does raise an interesting question as to have the current availability of reviews may condition umpires' decisions in edge cases.

Comment

Wasnt there a suggestion a while back (in tests, not in the WC) that Kohli (I think) had decided that umpires gave the batsman the benefit of the doubt when there was no review left, so he burned through India's fairly quickly?

Comment

I hadn't heard that, but it is a rather obvious strategy if the underlying theory is true

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

I mean, I think there's something to be said about areas Not London being more interested in cricket than London, where you frankly wouldn't know a World Cup was happening*, but rural English cricket thriving only plugs up one of the many holes in SS English Cricket.

*I also wonder if this portends poorly for Anglo-Asian cricket. The West Indian community of London is lost to cricket now. I don't know how much of that is due to the West Indies being poor, it can't be helping, but you get the sense that cricket is below basketball in sports they care about now.
                    You've said this before about cricket (and this tournament in particular) not being on the radar in London and I just don't agree. I went to the CWC fan zone in Trafalgar Square earlier and there were a few thousand people milling about taking part in the activities a full 48 hrs before the final is broadcast there, which should garner a good crowd.

Sadly there was no merch on display so I had to go to Lilywhites to get the boy an England t-shirt (though it's now run by Sports Direct and admittedly had a poor selection of official CWC stuff) and there were CWC-related ads over the Piccadilly Circus video screens (one of them featuring Rohit Sharma, as well as more obvious English and Australian stars).

The Oval and Lord's are crammed not just test matches and ODIs but for their respective counties T20 matches too and cricket certainly makes a better regular impact than any other of the sports in football's shadow in the capital.

The CWC certainly hasn't got the profile that the 2015 Rugby World Cup but I do think that is almost solely to do with the broadcast situation for the international versions of the sports.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 12-07-2019, 14:51.

Comment

And also, the bigger venues for the 2015 Rugby World Cup have at least twice the capacity of the biggest cricket grounds, so you'd be less likely to see sheer volumes of matchgoing fans on trains, in city centres etc.

But RdG is right in general. And there has been a better atmosphere in grounds than there normally is at Tests and regular ODIs – basically more noisy subcontinental families, fewer dozy boozy corporates

Comment

Originally posted by all new noj View Post
                        I see Reed and Foxton are drawn in the quarters
                        Oooh, local punch up! Vaguely tempted to go and watch, particularly if my mate who sometimes appears for Reed 1sts is playing.
                        [I think he is an automatic pick as opening bat, but his availability isn't consistent]
                        Last edited by Janik; 12-07-2019, 14:58.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                          And also, the bigger venues for the 2015 Rugby World Cup have at least twice the capacity of the biggest cricket grounds, so you'd be less likely to see sheer volumes of matchgoing fans on trains, in city centres etc.
                          Good point on capacities - though both The Oval and Lord's have major expansion plans in the works to bring them to 40,000 and 30,000+ capacities respectively. Still nowhere near the size of Twickenham but then again not tucked away in the suburbs with terrible transport links either.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            This will be on in pubs, right?
                            My sources suggest the Grain and Hop store on Regent Street might be your best bet (by Parker's Piece).

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                            Oooh, local punch up!

Yep, it's a bit of a shame they've met at this stage really - would have been amazing had they met in the final (what are they, something like 10 miles apart?)

Atmosphere has been brilliant at WC games I've been fortunate enough to get to, esp at the Bangladesh one. Mind you, always love the atmosphere at tests and ODIs too.

Comment

Originally posted by all new noj View Post

My sources suggest the Grain and Hop store on Regent Street might be your best bet (by Parker's Piece).
                              Ta. I am going to have to be careful I think. Sitting in a pub watching football is one thing. Cricket, being an all day thing is a tad dangerous.

Yep, it's a bit of a shame they've met at this stage really - would have been amazing had they met in the final (what are they, something like 10 miles apart?)
                              The road from Foxton to Reed is a nostalgic one for me (and noj) as Reed was where our dad's favourite pub was. He even had his own tankard behind the bar. The number of hours I spent in the car park there as a child will be in the low hundreds.

Comment

The number of hours I spent in the car park there as a child will be in the low hundreds.
                                I know some pubs in that way too...

Comment

Ta. I am going to have to be careful I think. Sitting in a pub watching football is one thing. Cricket, being an all day thing is a tad dangerous.
                                  This is very true. I will be looking for the final in a Cretan bar and will have the same issue.

The road from Foxton to Reed is a nostalgic one for me (and noj) as Reed was where our dad's favourite pub was.
                                  Hours of fun trying to find something to do in the car. Seem to remember taking apart the steering wheel boss and then frantically trying to put it back on again before Dad came out of the pub.

Comment

Hopes for today:

1) NZ avoid humiliation, as experienced by Australia in the semi. Plucky and unlucky defeat will do.
                                    2) Somebody in charge decides that it's Lord's and a final featuring the home team, and will create its own atmosphere, so tones down the painful PA intrusions
                                    3) If they can't manage no. 2, then we get treated to the accidentally amusing sound of celebration music when England lose a vital wicket, because somebody pressing a button can't read the room
                                    4) I can watch the Wimbledon final(s), so ... may need to revisit no. 1. NZ bat first and crumble?

Comment

5. I can find More 4 which apparently is where Channel 4 are showing the second innings while Lewis Hamilton drives his car round and round Silverstone an interminable number of times

Comment

NZ batting first. So, early finish, more Wimbledon to enjoy.

Comment

Does the number 3 usually go out for the anthems wearing pads? Not the most supportive message to your openers, Kane.

Comment

Lots of empty seats sadly.

@tr yes. Or at least 3 will always be padded up. You never know when an opener will go for a golden duck.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                              Lots of empty seats sadly.
                                              No-show Indians?

Comment

That's probably a function of the dressing rooms at Lords being miles from the pitch. (and the fact they usually lose an opener early on)

Nice to be able to see some live cricket on the telly, even if I do feel a bit guilty about abandoning TMS for the occasion.

Comment

There's a time limit to get to the crease, right?

Comment

Two close decisions going NZ's way (I gave them both out, wrongly). Smart calls on the reviews.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X