Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Broadly speaking my entire World Cup was ABAus so I can relax and enjoy it now. I'll be in England on Sunday but not with a TV. This will be on in pubs, right?

Comment

Eh?

Comment

Nobody can seriously complain if the world #1 win this, or NZ win by beating the 1 and 2 in successive games. New winner is also good for the tournament.

Comment

That was bloody brilliant. Can't quite believe England are in a world cup final. And Roy has avoided being suspended too!

I feared the worse after the toss and thought we might find ourselves three down for not many too but the opening pair were brilliant, as they nearly always are. Mad stat on sky showing the average of opening ODI pairs (minimum 30 matches): Roy and YJB are on 70 odd with the next pair (Greenidge and Haynes) in the mid 50s.

ad hoc, yep I'm sure you'll be able to find a pub in town with it on. I just wish it wasn't at Lords; far more comfortable being back at Edgbaston.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
            Eh?
            What's the exact question?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

When was was the last Cricket World Cup Final between the two "weaker" semi-finalists from the group stages, i.e. third v fourth or equivalent?
              India and Sri Lanka both finished second in their groups in 2011 behind South Africa and Pakistan respectively, although India still went into the knockout stages as huge favourites and duly won.

Comment

No third place play-off?

When are these people going to learn from football?

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                  Per my comment a few days ago - I know Dunc, etc are joking, but I'm still slightly offput by talk of English people not really being English because they aren't Natural Born Englishmen.
                  Apart from the pisstake, Morgan particularly is recognised as a ringer/ mercenary who moved to England as an adult. A national sport increasingly limited to private schools and the Asian background community is a problem and the reliance on ringers a consequence of it.

Comment

Originally posted by HORN View Post
                    No third place play-off?

When are these people going to learn from football?
                    See above. That wab Kohli says he wants a whole elaborate structure of play offs lasting nearly as long as the bastard group stage

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

Apart from the pisstake, Morgan particularly is recognised as a ringer/ mercenary who moved to England as an adult. A national sport increasingly limited to private schools and the Asian background community is a problem and the reliance on ringers a consequence of it.
                      Morgan's mother is English.

Comment

Unlike a football World Cup, this one can point to league position and head to head results between the semi finalists. In this case both give the same answer - India 3rd, Australia 4th.

Comment

@Sporting.His mother didn't play 23 senior internationals for Ireland

I didn't know he was dual-nationality, thanks for that
                          Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 12-07-2019, 07:53.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post

A national sport increasingly limited to private schools and the Asian background community is a problem
                              Is that true though? I think that sounds like a city based view of things, it seems to me that in rural England cricket is as popular as ever, and young people are taking it up to no lesser degree than they did before. Obviously I don't live there, but family members living in villages/small towns would suggest that things are as vibrant as ever (although the lack of regular TV coverage of the game has had an undeniable effect)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                Unlike a football World Cup, this one can point to league position and head to head results between the semi finalists. In this case both give the same answer - India 3rd, Australia 4th.
                                I wasn't being serious, Kevin. Though now I'm imagining a hastily arranged third place playoff simply to settle a heated dispute between Kholi and Finch that was threatening to get out of control.

Comment

Is that true though? I think that sounds like a city based view of things, it seems to me that in rural England cricket is as popular as ever, and young people are taking it up to no lesser degree than they did before. Obviously I don't live there, but family members living in villages/small towns would suggest that things are as vibrant as ever (although the lack of regular TV coverage of the game has had an undeniable effect)
                                  Yeah, the grassroots scene is improving again, at least round our way. The mailing list for parents with children aged 5 to 9 at our local CC has over 70 people on it. Tends to be a good 30 children turning up every Sunday morning.

YMMV

Last edited by Kevin S; 12-07-2019, 08:48.

Comment

Surely the pronounced shift from rural to urban living is going to mean youth participation is still declining though.

I don't know if DG's overall contention is true but anecdotally it seems accurate to me, even in the cricket heartland of Surrey that I live in. The sport is healthy but a lot of that is based on private school children and those of Anglo-Asian heritage.

Comment

Agreed. As an urban type now living and teaching in a rural environment I do notice that cricket has a more elevated profile on the P.E curriculum than I had anticipated. A real keeness with girls' cricket, too, which is encouraging.

Comment

91% of the United Kingdom lives in urban areas, though.

I mean, I think there's something to be said about areas Not London being more interested in cricket than London, where you frankly wouldn't know a World Cup was happening*, but rural English cricket thriving only plugs up one of the many holes in SS English Cricket.

*I also wonder if this portends poorly for Anglo-Asian cricket. The West Indian community of London is lost to cricket now. I don't know how much of that is due to the West Indies being poor, it can't be helping, but you get the sense that cricket is below basketball in sports they care about now.

Comment

There must be decreasing places to actually play the game, too. Not just because of development taking parks away, but the indirect effect of inner cities becoming so overcrowded now that I can only imagine the reaction if a gang of kids turned up in a park on a sunny day now and tried to start a game of cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by Ad Hoc
                                            I think that sounds like a city based view of things, it seems to me that in rural England cricket is as popular as ever, and young people are taking it up to no lesser degree than they did before
                                            It's a mix of anecdotage/ observation and media coverage. I don't hear anyone (even administrators/ marketeers with product to sell) challenging the assumed trend. I l ive on the Black Country/ Worcestershire & Staffordshire border, the latter is as suburban (hardly rural) as Cambridge/ North Essex.

Originally posted by Kevin S
                                            Yeah, the grassroots scene is improving again, at least round our way. The mailing list for parents with children aged 5 to 9 at our local CC has over 70 people on it. Tends to be a good 30 children turning up every Sunday morning
                                            That's welcome, but I was thinking of secondary age kids who can't play in school

Comment

Yeah, they've got teams at U11, U13 and U15 as well.

The U15 league for the county contains these clubs:

Burwell & Exning CC
                                              Cambridge St. Giles CC
                                              Chatteris CC
                                              City of Cambridge CC
                                              City of Ely CC
                                              Cottenham CC
                                              Foxton CC
                                              Great Shelford CC
                                              Haverhill CC
                                              Histon CC
                                              Linton Village CC
                                              Longstanton Grasshoppers CC
                                              March Town CC
                                              Mildenhall CC (Suffolk)
                                              Over CC
                                              Royston CC (Herts)
                                              Saffron Walden CC (2 teams) (Essex)
                                              Thriplow CC
                                              Worlington CC

The U13 league is actually bigger.

Burwell & Exning CC
                                              Cambourne CC
                                              Cambridge St. Giles CC (2 teams)
                                              Chatteris CC
                                              City of Cambridge CC (2 teams)
                                              City of Ely CC
                                              Cokenach CC
                                              Coton CC
                                              Cottenham CC
                                              Downham Town CC (Norfolk)
                                              Foxton CC, Cambs
                                              Great Shelford CC
                                              Histon CC
                                              Longstanton Grasshoppers CC
                                              March Town CC
                                              Mildenhall CC (Suffolk)
                                              Reed CC
                                              Royston CC (Herts)
                                              Saffron Walden CC (3 teams) (Essex)
                                              Sawston and Babraham CC
                                              Thriplow CC (3 teams)
                                              Weston Colville CC
                                              Wisbech Town CC
                                              Worlington CC

Comment

Jason Roy has got off very lightly for his behaviour yesterday. It wasn't just showing dissent, which is usually standing for a few seconds and muttering a few words, then trudging back slowly. It was a full-on mutiny.

I realize it's another step on my road to fuddy-duddy land, but 20 or 30 years ago an England batsman acting like that would have been slammed in the media. Old CMJ would have been demanding his head. I don't think he should be banned for the final, that's an unfair team punishment, but he deserves a stronger reaction than hero-worship, which basically tells him he can do it again (the fine is meaningless).

Comment

Well said, have a like.

Comment

I wonder if the view from the Cambridge area might be distorted, as the village game is clearly strong around here. Two different clubs within 10 miles of each other (Foxton and Reed) have been in the National Village Final inside the last 10 years. Both won through their county sections again this year and are into the national rounds. I doubt the kids stop playing at secondary age in those villages. In fact, I know they don't - the Reed team that won the Cup in 2012 had a number of local teenagers in their XI (many of the same players, now in their 20s, were still there when they won it again in 2017). However the play is through the clubs, rather than via school teams.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X