Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New name on the trophy

Comment

Well, that was an absolute annihilation. More big matches like that and the fans might start to believe despite themselves.

Comment

Not sure I've seen an England cricket team just do the job so efficiently. Magnificent.

Comment

Ah, so you haven't gone native then.

Comment

Yay!

We win!

Comment

Quality work by the big Dub/ Bajan/ Kiwi etc

Comment

That should boost their net run rate, and help them qualify for the final.

Comment

Broadly speaking my entire World Cup was ABAus so I can relax and enjoy it now. I'll be in England on Sunday but not with a TV. This will be on in pubs, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                    New name on the trophy
                    I'd rather England finally got it by beating somebody else, but at least if/when they win it will be with a strong team, not one of the shambolic sides from several previous tournaments.

Whereas NZ arguably had better sides in 4 or 5 of their previous semis.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      Ah, so you haven't gone native then.
                      Christ no. I lived here from 87 to 2005.

Comment

It would now be a very English way of cocking this up to lose to New Zealand in the final, having beaten them by over a hundred runs just a week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                          It would now be a very English way of cocking this up to lose to New Zealand in the final, having beaten them by over a hundred runs just a week ago.
                          This post will please Janik

Comment

Congratulations to England. I'm trying to console myself that at least I'll have a very happy son come Sunday evening, is that the bargaining stage or the acceptance stage?

Comment

Nah, they'll win despite Bairstow's golden duck. Kiwi Stokes MoM.

Now wondering about the practicalities of trying to simultaneously watch the final, the Tour de France and the British Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

Well, the semi that was supposed to be one-sided was decided by inches, and the semi that was supposed to be evenly matched was a thrashing. So basically, we don't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

Nah, they'll win despite Bairstow's golden duck. Kiwi Stokes MoM.

Now wondering about the practicalities of trying to simultaneously watch the final, the Tour de France and the British Grand Prix on Sunday afternoon.
                                  Not a tennis fan, then?

Which free-to-air channel is showing the final now England are there - a non-subscription Sky one or a terrestrial network?
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-07-2019, 16:50.

Comment

Now I can take off my doomandgloom hat, I can freely expand on what a fantastic all-round performance that was. Glad Woakes got man of the match, he's been excellent all tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                      Don't forget the men's final at Wimbledon...

Comment

Per my comment a few days ago - I know Dunc, etc are joking, but I'm still slightly offput by talk of English people not really being English because they aren't Natural Born Englishmen.

Comment

That was a fair dinkum hammering. Starc really wasn't good enough today, although he walks into a team of the tournament (alongside Warner and Carey).

Comment

The weather forecast for St.Johns Wood on Sunday is dry but cloudy, so the ball might be moving around a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Well, the semi that was supposed to be one-sided was decided by inches, and the semi that was supposed to be evenly matched was a thrashing. So basically, we don't have a clue.

One has to note the turnaround between England and Australia from group game to semi-final too, of course.

When was was the last Cricket World Cup Final between the two "weaker" semi-finalists from the group stages, i.e. third v fourth or equivalent?
                                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-07-2019, 16:58.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                This post will please Janik
                                                My reaction was indeed 'typical'. It's just too much of a change around to cope with isn't it?

Of course, if England fans did become accustomed to their team being the best of the bunch and started acting accordingly, that wouldn't go down too well with everyone else. The words 'imperial arrogance' would be itching to appear.

Comment

Well, to put that in perspective, they are the best of the bunch currently, if we include the lead-in to the World Cup, but they've never actually won the thing, and so arrogance (imperial or not) would be a fair criticism until England have won it at home, then won it away, and maybe a 3rd time eventually.

I don't think many England fans are arrogant (in this sport at least), the media simply do what they have to do for clicks, but the pessimism (or self-defence strategy) isn't so much a national trait, as based on solid data - the performances of the cricket team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Not a tennis fan, then?

Which free-to-air channel is showing the final now England are there - a non-subscription Sky one or a terrestrial network?
                                                    Only interaction with Wimbledon has been reading Janik's previews on here. Haven't watched a single second of it.

Final is on Channel 4 using Sky's coverage, switching to More 4 during the afternoon while they're showing the Grand Prix.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X